PDA

View Full Version : can u help please read

baha_guy
22-10-02, 01:56 AM
:arrow: Will a mk2 sr spolier fit a mk 1 nova. If yes how much
is a mk2 sr spoiler and were can i get a cheap one from please.

:lol: 8) :twisted:

?Marty?
22-10-02, 02:37 AM
Yes.

Secondhand.

mikeoxford
22-10-02, 09:38 AM
depending how much you wanna pay i have one attached to a flame red mk2 SR tailgate

mikeoxford@hotmail.com

cheers

ade
22-10-02, 10:34 AM
spoiler ?50 +- a bit 2nd hand. U then need to attach it.

New tailgate when you fook it up ?80 +- a bit second hand.

Thayre buggers to line up correctly. I'd make mike an offer and save yerself the hastle! Then all u got to do is respray it.

Ade

Nova-Flair
22-10-02, 04:12 PM
dont talk bout fittin spoilers!!! for fooks sake get mikes u WILL knack your tailgate. my m8 wasnt best pleased when we knackered his :? and the bodyshop we took it to afterwards laffed at our attempt to bodge it up wasnt nice :( me m8 still aint got that spoiler fitted. just has 4 mounds of bodge.

baha_guy
23-10-02, 03:54 PM
:arrow: I was talking to someone who has the spoiler i want on there nova and they said you do not knacher ur tailgat with the spoiler

snapper
23-10-02, 05:14 PM
you will do, trust me! best get a tailgate with one already attached.

baha_guy
23-10-02, 08:45 PM
:arrow: why what does it do to ur tailgate some peope say it will brake it some say it wont. well can i fit a spoiler on my mk1 with out brakeing it if so how can i please help im getting one tomorrow.

Chris LR
23-10-02, 09:18 PM
Drill + Holes = a knackered tailgate. m8 of mine fucked his up so he stuck it on with silicone. I wish I new what happened to it but he had his car nicked.

snapper
23-10-02, 09:55 PM
it's what chris_sr said. you have to near enough guess where the holes need to be drilled and if you don't get it right first time, you'll have an extra (or more) set of holes to bodge!

ade
23-10-02, 11:01 PM
the problem is the bolts that stick out of the spoiler (usually 2-4 of then depending on qhos had it in the past) are very rarely lined up right - they are held in place with resin and you can bet yer ass crack theyre not even.

As well as this they are at about 30% angle from the hortzontal, which, for lining ups sake means that you have to drill intop yer hatch from the outside taking this angle into account so the spoiler site flush with the top of yer hatch and even at both sides. If you knacker the holes, the spoiler can sit to high/low/ too far left/right, at a too steep angle or too low angle, foul yer washer jet nozzle (which on a mk2 is smaller than a mk1 apprarntly) - then when you manage to get it lines up, you need to watch you dont catch yer washer jet hose on the left of the tailgate like I did and rip it causing it to leak everywhere! :evil:

Once you manage to get it on, you need to make sure the bolts are long enough and go through the other side (as a rule of thumb, the holes sit somewhere near the angle between the flat bit of the hatch and the rubber) - again if you get these wrong you foul the rubber causing the hatch to let water in, or the bolts are too short and in an attempt to tighten them up you split the resin holding the bolt to the spoiler and it pings off.

Whilst lining it up you drill more holes or enlarge the current ones in a snake like wiggle across yer tailgate which will let water in!

Trust me - all these have happened to myself and my pals!

On my mk1 spoiler (prior to fitting my mk2 one) I just cut the bolts off and use eposy resin (araldite) to stick it in place! Stayed there for 3 years until I ripped it and 1/2 the tailgate paint off when I rebuilt my car in Jjuly.

Make Mike an offer - he'll do ya a good deal and save you a weekend throwing things and swearing lots!

:wink:

baha_guy
23-10-02, 11:03 PM
:arrow: If i use silicone will that be ok to do and then ill i be able to put a abyss spoiler on top of it ?

if anyone ealse on a better way how to put my spoiler on with out brakeing my tailgate please please please let me on

ade
23-10-02, 11:12 PM
silicones not strong enough and will eventually perish.

If yer going to use glue use epoxy resin (araldite) or get some professional mastick - that stuff will hold aircraft wings in place!

You need to hold it for an hour or so!

For the hastle I'd get a second hand spoiler, spray it yerself and then take it to a body shop ans say - fit this m8! They'll do it in 30 minutes while you wait for ?30-?50 no probs!

Problem with glueing the mk2 spoiler is its not light and the area your glueing is small - the mk1 has the advantage of being a wrap which meand the top is support by the side bits. the mk2 doesnt have this luxury - if it came off whilst you were tearing down the road/motorway and hit somwthing/somwone - youd be up sh1te creek m8!

If you have to drill it yerself, get a m8 to help you, remove yer tailgarte from the car for easier manouveability ( :? spelling) and make sure your bolts are square to the spoiler from above and both at the right angles before drilling. If they move about be v careful when tightening them up. Drill a couple of pilot holes 1st - small ones to act as a guide. The bolts are only 8mm wide - use masking tape to line it up and have a m8 mark each bolt on the tailgate whilst you hold it. Eye up the angle to the tailgate - remember that the tialgate is also at an angle when closed. I think the bolts on the spoiler are at 90 degrees to the angle of the hatch when closed. Its guess work really but that should help you.
Good luck - its worth doing - if done properly.

Ade

baha_guy
23-10-02, 11:51 PM
THANK YOU ADE ill think ill just take it to a body shop and get it done then I wont brake the tailegate and it will look much better. then when i can ill buy a abyss spoiler to go on top.

novax
24-10-02, 11:22 PM
If the price is right then pay somebody. otherwise give it a go yourself :wink:

Nova-Boy
25-10-02, 08:41 AM
Have a look at http://www.novarally.co.uk under parts. He has got all kinds of tail gates for ?10 with glass and wiper motor with the standard holes for a sr spoiler. He has also got a spoiler for bout ?10. postage isn't much. It was gonna cost me bout ?14 postage to anywhere in the uk for him to send me one.

Good look