PDA

View Full Version : 15" questions...

Trixxy
21-10-02, 11:28 PM
right... my 1.4 SR is screaming for OZ alloys

its got 13's all round at the mo ;/

how much arch rolling am i gonna have 2 do to squeeze 15's with a low profile tyre on..

and how much will it affect the rubbing it i get it lowered 35mm all round ?

ta :]

ade
21-10-02, 11:46 PM
shouldnt rub on 15's if et offset is right (45-49)
lowering 35mm will be ok - mines lowered 60mm and et's a little out - had to grind my arches to get em to fit but all ok.

ade

Breeny
22-10-02, 12:17 AM
oz dont do et 45 - 49

As a rough guide

15x7j use et 45
15x6.5j or less use et 49

You should be able to get away with no arch mods with the 15x6.5 but with a 7j wheel you will have to remove some of the lip.

Trixxy
22-10-02, 10:09 AM
rar oki, that helps :]

well I decided on OZ F1 R's, cuz they look quite spinky on black nova's

if i went with 7 x 15's id just have 2 fold the lip up then?

do ya recommend me doin it with a broom handle ? :D

ade
22-10-02, 10:29 AM
The "broom method" is only to flare them a little not to fully roll the arch - not properly anyway. I tried it at the weekend on the edges of the bodywork and it worked ok but I wouldnt do the whole arch - I had a little bit of flaking paint on what lip I have left - touched it up. M8 of mine uses a spade with busted handle and a bit a polystyrene on the lip to force it out - spade is good at distributing the force evenly across - also can do it with the tyre on. Depends on yer arch though

As Breeny says Oz dont make correct offset for nova so you'll need to do some proper modding on the arch. You could roll the lip but a broom handle wouldnt do it properly - you'll need some guts with a hammer and support but of wood on the outside - make sure all muck and stuff is off inner lip so as not to trap dirt = rust - also need to seal the lip so water wont get trapped in it. Alternatively get the grinder out or pay a body shop ?100 for both arches (or cheaper) to be modified - just make sure they seal them prioperly now winters here.

It also depends on state of yer arches - if theyre rusty and split you may cause more probs by rolling/grinding - might be good time to book them into a body shop to get them done.

Trixxy
22-10-02, 05:47 PM
nah my arches are clean n tidy, no dirt, and I wax treated them last week.

Theres a bodyshop bout 15 miles out of where I live called SevernSide Motorsprt, they charge ?24 an arch, i think i'll take it down there as opposed 2 farting the job up myself :]

Ric 16v
22-10-02, 05:55 PM
my brother has the same wheels on his black GSi when he bought it and they are 7x15" and have a 37mm offset :o :o :o and the rear arches have be rolled but I think the front's didn't need doing and they still rub a bit when going round sharp corners !!!! my brother doesn't like them and I have 2 agree with him they look shit (no offence 2 u coz u like them)

novax
23-10-02, 08:37 PM
Trixxy - I'm in Gloucester too. Try Protyre on the Bristol Rd they do arches as well. The guys down there know what they're doing.

Also I've got a set of mint 15" Softstars if you want them.... :D

Trixxy
20-12-02, 03:24 PM
hehe yeah i heard of pro tyre, i found some new victims for my wheels now, Team Dynamics chrome jobbies they look mint, so im gonna start saving...

Nova-Boy
20-12-02, 03:43 PM
Is it a Mk1 or 2? Mk2 have 5mm wider arches. I have just fitted 195/50/R15 to my MK1. I rolled the arches back and flaired them and they dont even rub with 3 12 stone peeps in the back and it is lowered 40mm. No problem!!

Trixxy
21-12-02, 08:14 PM
its a mk1 i think, H reg, looks like the old shape before they did the facelight on the SR's and GSi's

mikeoxford
21-12-02, 11:06 PM
its not that they built mk2 with wider arches, its just the "manufacturing tolerances" were greater - so basically instead of the car being produced to 1mm tolerance or whatever, they were less strict and thats why you get some mk2 novas that get away with lowering and bigger alloys and some that dont