PDA

View Full Version : c16xe on bike carbs?

greg1.4
21-09-08, 09:04 AM
think i have got my rally car engine sorted out now..:)

its a 1600 16v (c16xe) with r1 bike carbs

now to be honest i dont really know how to do the conversion, well.. i can fit the carbs and set them up ok, but its the ecu that i am a little confused at.

do any of you guys run megajolt ecu? is it easy enough to map?

will bike carbs just be as good (power gains) as tb's? i know it will probably be cheaper but what is the best for power?

and i know how good c16xe's sound on tb's, will the bike carbs sound similar?lol

cheers

Greg

greg1.4
21-09-08, 10:39 AM
?

MC
21-09-08, 10:46 AM
I know nothing about bike carbs. What diameter is the choke size? If you compare twin 40's with TB's, the carbs are limited to choke size as it is airflow speed that draws in the fuel. Too large a choke and the airflow isn't great enough at low engine speed to suck the fuel in (venturi effect). TB's overcome this by injecting the fuel in so you can have a larger diameter and more peak airflow, more horsepower without a great flat spot low down.

Adam
21-09-08, 12:44 PM
There 40mm bores, BUT there variable venturi(so the "choke" will close and open for how much the engine is breathing) There not like webers with one size chokes.
Hence they should run much better than webers, as you can have a smaller choke at low revs/throttle, but unrestricted 40mm at full revs.

Bike carbs dont sound like tb's, they sound similar to webers, but webers sound better imo, for some reason. They do sound nice though.
Megajolt is very straight forward to map(afterall your just typing numbers into boxes)

You also may have problems getting someone to set the ecu/carbs up, not many places have had much experience with bike carbs on car engines. so jetting etc will be a bit of a guess until you can get it on a rr.

Power gains will be no where near throttle bodies imo, but then again the bike carb setup would cost £400-£600, whereas a tb kit second hand would be twice that......

Any more info, give me a pm as i did have everything to fit bike carbs to a 1600 16v, but sold the lot lol

greg1.4
21-09-08, 05:13 PM
cheers adam..it could be a wee while before i attempt putting engine in as still not got the shell ready.

but i will bare you in mind and no doubt be asking for your help in the near future..

thanks

Adam
21-09-08, 05:26 PM
Pic of mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Nova-crew/DSCN0084.jpg

greg1.4
21-09-08, 05:55 PM
you get your manifold from bogg bros?

greg1.4
21-09-08, 05:58 PM
how much of a gain in power would i get roughly from running bike carbs all set up and tuned by rr??

dont plan on doing much else to engine to start with as i think it could be a handful to drive with a quaife sccr/dog box anyway..

greg1.4
21-09-08, 10:48 PM
not wanting to do too much to engine, but my basic idea is c16xe, stanadrd re-built bottom end, arp bolts, lightened and balanced flywheel, piper race cams (320degrees) with verniers to match and a bit of headwork..

i want a fairly reliable engine to start with, not wanting crazy power but..

if i done the above would i need to run solid lifters, better valves/double valve springs? would i also need piper cam followers, or would new gm ones do?

and i would be running r1 bike carbs also..

if you think of anything that could cause me probs/wont work then please tell me..i have not had alot of experience with 16v's before..:thumb:

and last, what kind of power would i be expecting out a c16xe with the above that i mentioned?

MC
21-09-08, 11:00 PM
I think you would need different pistons to run those cams or things will bend.

greg1.4
22-09-08, 07:48 AM
ok cheers:thumb:

Adam
22-09-08, 05:50 PM
No, my manifold wasn't from BB. I got it off Tom Reid on here.

320deg cams? foooK, there insane spec, you wont be needing them unless your going solid lifters, 9k revs etc. lol
Anything over 266 needs modded piston valve cutouts, or aftermarket pistons.
Something like newmanns 288 spec would be good.
The standard cams and head are good to about 150hp anyways.

As for power gains, not a clue, thats a problem you have when pretty much no one has tried these things before..
But sbd claim 140bhp on a 1.6 16v with weber carbs and mbe, so with headwork, different cams etc, with the carbs setup well and the ecu mapped, youd probably see 150.

Also bear in mind Megajolt needs quite a few old Ford parts to get it working. Also needs a 36-1 toothed wheel fixing to your crank pully, to run the ford crank sensor/edis system.

greg1.4
22-09-08, 10:20 PM
what all do you need to run an mbe setup? does it do away with the trigger wheel and edis system..

the edis and trigger wheel is not a problem really as its there with engine and carbs. Maybe should just run that if its as good as mbe?

Adam
23-09-08, 06:10 PM
So the engines coming with a FORD Edis system and a 36-1 trigger already welded to the crank pully?

MBE still needs a crank sensor, as that how it sees engine rotation. But it can use the standard gm sensor and pully(60-2 teeth)

greg1.4
23-09-08, 06:29 PM
yeah it has the edis (megajolt is all wired etc) only thing not done is the trigger wheel fitted.

think i shall just run this..as my local engine builders/dyno know what they are doing with it and building my engine for me.:D