PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Rev conter to a 1.2L

ChronoCabal
21-10-02, 08:32 PM
Hi all, I am a new Nova Owner,

I have a E reg Gold 1.2L and would like to upgrade the dashboard to a E reg Nova SR dash with Rev Counter as theres one in my local scrapyard.

Right, I guess that if I fit the SR one to my car the wiring would not be there and the counter would just sit there and not work. Will I need to run a wire to the coil or something and will all the other stuff like lights on it be compatable as I know the wiring connectors are the same!

Any experiance of this or ideas would be great before I start taking the dash off ;)

ChC

Adam Moran
21-10-02, 11:09 PM
Did this myself a few months back my friend!! Piece of psis :)

Take out the old clocks, unplug the black plug and pull out the spedo cable - then reverse to fit. It should all work then (mines a Mk2 and it worked should be the same for a Mk1)
While ya got the new clocks out change all the blubs because novas are crap for dash lighting!!

HTH

Cheers

AJ

Nova-Flair
22-10-02, 04:23 PM
u may want to get a different speedo cable as well cos the SR one was slightly longer. i put my clocks in only for to go down the road and the speedo stop working. dash had to be stripped again and ?30 forked out for a new cable the SR at the scrappy should have one in.

locky
22-10-02, 05:10 PM
As for the rev counter, (im not 2 sure bout mk1) there should b a green wire that goes from ur coil, just fit that into the dash, im not 2 sure where it goes to on the back of the dash,
If u do not have a green wire, just run a wire from ur coil up to the dash, if all the coil connections are used up, ur still able to connect it to any of the connections whils being shared
MTHTH

mowgli
22-10-02, 10:21 PM
run a new wire back from your coil to spare spade on the back of your new 6 dial dash assy. try & fit your original speedo in, I think they will fit, or your speedo will read wrong. sr's had lower diff ratios & different wheels....

Cheers Mowgli

Adam Moran
23-10-02, 08:06 AM
does that mean that i have fitted a SRI dash to my 1.2i the spedo will be out? Does anybody know by how much? I have got GSI 3 spokes on the car as well so thats going to even it out - no?

Cheers

AJ

ChronoCabal
25-10-02, 12:29 PM
Ok, thanks lads.

For all I know, the SR might be gone by the time I get to go to the scrappy on the wkd, but I hope not!

I plan to strip the decent parts off it and hopefully put them on my Nova! :D

ChC

ade
25-10-02, 04:53 PM
AJ - I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 1.2 mk2 - had gsi wheels on it and then upgraded them to 15's.

I still have my original dash but me speedo was something like 10 mph when I got up to 70mph (showing 70 doing 80!) - lets just say I was lucky ref speed cameras!

Something to do with different sized wheels and gear ratios. Theres a wheel to speed calculator on the internet somewhere - was on novaload a long time back (May some time I think). You type in your original tyres/wheel sizes, then your new ones and it tells you the difference and what your speedo should read!

Ade

locky
26-10-02, 09:31 AM
Wheel and tyre size calculator:-

www.perpetualbliss.net
:D

ChronoCabal
26-10-02, 02:51 PM
Hi guys, I've just come back from the scrapyard, and that yellow SR has gone (probably a small cube at the bottom of the sea by now :)

BUT, there was a red SR conversion there (totally standard 1.2 engine, just a SR replica), and I got a few bits off it, among other cars:

* Cigerette lighter (my Nova doesn't have one!)

* Backlight for the boot (it don't have that either!)

* Nova SR Rev counter (Took ages getting the damn thing out, the speedo cable didn't want to come loose)

* Phillips R670 cassette/radio (There's a prob with the tape drive ATM, but I hopefully can fix it. I'm also considering changing the color of the LCD screen to a dark blue, what do you think?

ChC

:)