PDA

View Full Version : squeeling carb!

ade
21-10-02, 07:03 PM
Need some help,

Just had my car retuned and it was running fine for a few days then driving to work (usual Scottish downpour) this morning on M8 and car started to splutter. Pulled over and let her sit for a while started up and went off again and all was fine but I noticed as I drove off a screeching sound coming from the engine (no small kids or animals under there - took them out the other day! :twisted: )

Anyway - stuck my head under the bonnet at lunch time and whilst reving the throttle with my sfinger I traced the screech to the carb. It s like when the air gets sucked it is squeels briefly.

Noticed driving home car was ok but a little sluggish in the lower revs and occasionally stalled when slowing down.

Cars a 1.2 mk2 carbbed engine with k&n bolted to it

Wasnt squeeling the other day - anyone got any ideas?

(also my dash lights seem to have stopped working along with my clock lights and left rear lamp and left front side light despite puitting a new one in last night! :evil: porb fuse)

Anyone help me???

Ade

ade
21-10-02, 07:10 PM
just heard a firework go off outside and to describe the sound my carb is making imagine the sound a scrrching rocket makes just as it takes off - kind of scqeels as it breathes in then launches itself into orbit. Filters brand new and carb is less than 12 months old. Does it need a wee clean do ya think? or a little bit of oil?

I dunno... :(

shady_brady
21-10-02, 08:10 PM
dont think me funny but have u checked that its not the fan belt scqeeling if not i may have an idea but i'll have to ask my mate if it was and how he dealt with it???????? :wink:

ade
21-10-02, 10:10 PM
yeah i'm 99% sure its not the fan belt - definately coming from the carb/ait filter - sounds like its got a sweeze (squeeley one) when it inhales!

My carbs got bronchitis!

:o

cassanova
21-10-02, 11:04 PM
mine does that, only since its been cold mind, first start in the mornin, couple of revs and sounds like it takes a big breath thru its nose when its got a cold, that sorta thing, only does it once mind, any1 got any ideas? Neva did it b4 i got my K&N.

Ford

ade
21-10-02, 11:44 PM
k&n - no like da cold me thinks!

Nova-Flair
22-10-02, 01:06 AM
may be getting too much/not enuff cold air thru the K&N?????

ade
22-10-02, 10:21 AM
drove into work this morning in some of the worst weather scptland could offer and I didnt hear the squeel - wondering if its triggered by the weather - too much spray/moisture change in temp etc...
I'm going to leave it till the rain stops (hopefully by Thursday - my day off) and take the k&n off and check it out.

Bloody 10.20 now and its still dark outside!

Whats that about!

Ruddy weather

:evil: