PDA

View Full Version : roof gutter trims!!!

twistysnovagte
19-09-08, 07:51 PM
i know this thread has been started a few times as ive used search but to no avail,what im after is removing a perfect set from one car and then to my car!
how do i get them off without breaking them???
also once off how do i then fit them to mine without breaking them???
and do they have to be bonded on???
thanks in advance andy

Benn
19-09-08, 09:13 PM
Hot water might help, They are only a dub sided taped on..

brainsnova
19-09-08, 09:18 PM
id use a hairdryer to soften the glue then try and get string under one and and slid it along carefully :thumb:

Novasport
19-09-08, 09:30 PM
Rolling them upwards an in towards the car usually does it. Most have gone very brittle by now so may crack anyway.

mikey14sr
19-09-08, 11:46 PM
The strips need to be warm, or at least the glue underneath, Best time I've found for removing them is when the car's been out in the sun for a few hours. Just gently roll them up and in to the gutter, gradually a bit at a time, ie, work it up a little all the way along, then go back to the start and repeat until they're off.

Doing it that way I've never broken any in over 10 years of having nova's.

Tidy Max
20-09-08, 12:39 AM
if its a off a car you have regular access to, you could just keeping oiling the rubber to really soften it, that way you wont stretch or discolour it like you would with bending or treating with a heatgun/hair dryer

brainsnova
20-09-08, 12:49 AM
back in 2000 when i took them off my 1.3 sr i just grabbed one end and ripped it off in a oner it never broke in half but that would never work it you wanted to keep them

mikey14sr
20-09-08, 09:43 AM
if its a off a car you have regular access to, you could just keeping oiling the rubber to really soften it, that way you wont stretch or discolour it like you would with bending or treating with a heatgun/hair dryer

they're plastic, not rubber:thumb:

Andy
20-09-08, 10:55 AM
Best time I've found for removing them is when the car's been out in the sun for a few hours..
lolJust remind me when that was last out long enough?lol

mikey14sr
20-09-08, 01:05 PM
lolJust remind me when that was last out long enough?lol

yesterday, if you were near brough,lol

salter
20-09-08, 08:05 PM
I put a brand new set on yesterday and they just slid on. They were very hard to push on when nearing the end though. The trims did some creaking but didn't break.

They do hold in place tightly but I wouldn't fancy trying to get them off again in one piece!

Riggy
21-09-08, 06:23 PM
i used a heat gun and came off easy , put some new ones on but the glue had gone off so they keep comin off lol , need to heat gun them to soften it up to stick right

areofall
21-09-08, 06:29 PM
I put a brand new set on yesterday and they just slid on. They were very hard to push on when nearing the end though. The trims did some creaking but didn't break.

They do hold in place tightly but I wouldn't fancy trying to get them off again in one piece!

Were can you get new sets at?

salter
21-09-08, 08:15 PM
If your after the later spec trims your local Vauxhall dealer should be able to still supply them.

areofall
21-09-08, 08:39 PM
If your after the later spec trims your local Vauxhall dealer should be able to still supply them.

My car is Aug 92, will ring tomorrow, thanks.

amggsi
21-09-08, 08:56 PM

They can only get the lhs ones now, and when I got mine, there was only 7 others left on the system!!

areofall
21-09-08, 10:21 PM
how much were they?

Dod
22-09-08, 10:09 AM
iirc £14 a side but being rare expect them to up the price a touch.

Pistol Pete
22-09-08, 10:37 AM
Mine split when taking them off, and reading this looks like i'm unlikely to get replacements:(

salter
22-09-08, 03:53 PM
how much were they?

When I tried Vauxhall a few months ago they quoted me £ 22 per side!

Cheers

amggsi
22-09-08, 06:02 PM
When I tried Vauxhall a few months ago they quoted me £ 22 per side!

Cheers

The one I bought was £22.87 to be exact!!!!lol

Riggy
22-09-08, 06:35 PM
lol 26 each at our dealers and i got both sides lol