PDA

View Full Version : Cone or Panel filter?

Nova_Tek
18-09-08, 12:59 PM
just thinking about whats best to use on a LET.

Reason mainly is coz the car will be in a hot climate especially summer where the outside temperature can go into the 40's and even 50's when directly under the sun in trafic for example. And many of us know that cone filters + heat = not so good performance.

Any feedback from people with big block conversions about whats best to use where its best to have it fitted if its a cone?

Any info and even pics are welcome.

:thumb:

Shaun_O'Donnell
18-09-08, 01:01 PM
I may be wrong, but is there enough room to fit an airbox into a nova, all the conversions I've seen use cones and even those seem to look squeezed in.

Nova_Tek
18-09-08, 01:16 PM
I was actually thinking whether or not a panel filter box will fit drivers side wing as it looks quite small.

Those of you who have used cone filters on XE / LETs have you had any ill-effects of the cone?

craig green
19-09-08, 01:57 PM
If you had the patience to cut & plastic weld an existing airbox to fit I'm sure its possible. The main issue is the lack of depth in the novas inner wing area. There was a euro'd XE with an airbox on. Pics somewhere on here.

Nova_Tek
19-09-08, 02:05 PM
The main issue is the lack of depth in the novas inner wing area.

That's what Im thinking about. I dont think Id have the patience to get it done.

Which leads onto the question: 'wheres the best place to put a cone filter?'

I remember once seeing a euro Nova IIRC which cleverly put the cone filter infront of the drivers wheel.

Any suggestions or tried and tested placements?

craig green
19-09-08, 02:07 PM
Just put it where everyone else does & bear in mind it only has a supply of cooler air when you are cruising above say 30mph.

Spudly
19-09-08, 02:21 PM
For something like a let and youre obvioulsy wary of heat absorbtion (sp) then possibly a pipercross viper or similar no name counterpart with its own boxed/enclosed filter element on a long ish direct air feed would prob be best bet, slim and takes up as much space as a come but sealed from heat:thumb:

craig green
19-09-08, 02:25 PM
On a LET the fr of the Viper intake will be facing the suspension turret (backwards) I dont reckon you'd squeeze in the filter housing or get a cold air feed into it tbh.

Lee H
19-09-08, 02:29 PM
On a LET the fr of the Viper intake will be facing the suspension turret (backwards) I dont reckon you'd squeeze in the filter housing or get a cold air feed into it tbh.

Correct, no chance of fitting the cold air feed in, top of the filter pretty much touches the turret on mine even with the small ramair cone filter on.

Spudly
19-09-08, 02:32 PM
Oh, ill go and sit in the wrong corner then sowwie lol

Nova_Tek
19-09-08, 02:32 PM
I was considering a viper style air box but depends how it would be mounted in the bay. Think a good flick through google may bring something up (shame im on 56k :eek: :cry: )

In saying that theres a few LET's with the cones facing the suspension turret, dunno if any ill effects have been noticed by this.

C'mon LET owners! :p

Nova_Tek
19-09-08, 02:36 PM
Just put it where everyone else does & bear in mind it only has a supply of cooler air when you are cruising above say 30mph.

Sometimes much more then 30mph. Even cracking the window open at that speed is like opening the oven door :eek:

Jeff16v
19-09-08, 03:47 PM
If it ws a track car i would have it sticking straight through the bonnet. I use mine around town and its more than enough for me. If you want to try and break records on the rollers you could try ducting through the innner wing and use the space behind the valence with a cut out.

A cone works fine, even better at night and in the winter:thumb:

Nova_Tek
21-09-08, 06:33 PM
Been looking at cone filters and have come across this beast from K&N kinda ticks the enclosed and cone filter boxes a the same time, looks interesting.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

Anyone used this? Looks nice at least (yeh I know looks dont mean it works lol)