PDA

View Full Version : FAO Plumbers/queens dogs (lol)

Stuart
18-09-08, 08:46 AM
I'm going to power flush my Combi Boiler and rads etc, but wanted to know what order and what chemicals need to be dosed in to make the best of the job.
We are in a very very hard water area so a descaler would be good (Got an Ali HEX in the boiler) and then to desludge the mofo.

I'll be fitting new rads but is it best to fit them before or after the flush? (or simply bridge the rads with copper pipe while flushing) as moving less sludge about would be good, but then I dont want to sludge up the new rads lol.

I'll also be needing a new pump for the combi, where is a good place to not get reamed on the price etc.
Oh and a Magnaclean will be fitted after the flushing to ensure it all stays clean... good/bad idea?

alternatively any corgis/plumbers in the Stansted area want a bit of beer money then feel free to offer the full service lol

kevw
18-09-08, 09:21 AM
Will this Corgi do?

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/welsh_corgi_pembroke_03a.jpg

Dod
18-09-08, 09:58 AM
Give me 5 mins. I share an office with a Plumbing contractor. As soon as someone comes in I'll have a word.

Dod
18-09-08, 10:09 AM
Ok, the New Rads, by fitting them first you'll be passing all the ****e in your water system through them, fitting copper pipes as bridges is no good, very expensive and work thats not really needed. Can you not flush the system between rads? ie remove the first rad from the Boiler and run it through, fit your new rad and them repeat with the next rad?

The Magnacler item, I've not heard of it but I assume its a filter set up? If its an old house its worth fitting, but is sub 10 years old, its not worth it as the benifits will be minimal.

brainsnova
18-09-08, 10:14 AM
a magnaclean is a strong magnet were the water flows in one end and out the other and the magnet attracts all the crap that causes blockages

Stuart
18-09-08, 10:15 AM
15 year old house. 5-10year old boiler. The black shizzle coming out of one of the rads I've removed was minging. Yeah the Magnaclear and boiler buddy are magnetic filters to catch some of the crap coming back from the rads.

I guess I could shut all the rads off bar one and flush one at a time then fit the new rads.. The bridging wont be hugely expensive as I've only got 5 rads to do and they are fairly small anyway.

so then what chemicals and which order? :D

Dod
18-09-08, 10:16 AM
Ahhh, I see now. Well my point stands then so, especially with fitting new Rads.

Dod
18-09-08, 10:18 AM
As for the Cehmicals, most are spot on. Our Plumber was a tad Hazey with the details. (he's a Garden Hose Fan lol)

From working in a Hardware store for 8 years I'd suggest nipping down and having a word with one of the staff. There should be a few different items to choose from and most are pretty good. But by changing the Rads you're reducing the need for the flush with chemicals.

Also the Black thick gungy **** is pretty common so not a worry.

brainsnova
18-09-08, 10:22 AM
try putting fast clense in and run if for a bit see if that works. Then after the system is all back together put in inhibiter. If all the radiators are heating up you dont need to powerflush the system

Stuart
18-09-08, 11:01 AM
the boiler is well clogged up after putting in some fast flush last year lmao. Need to powerflush the boiler at the very least

Dod
18-09-08, 12:14 PM
The majority of these Chemical solutions can do more damage than good so you need to be careful with it. Some dislodge clumps and pass it through the system until they reach somewhere they cant pass through.

Ideally you need something Hardcore for the Boiler and stop it passing through the Copper piping. And High Pressure as well.

If you need to bridge between 2 copper pipes Stu, I wanna recomend Acorn Piping as opposed to Copper. Acorn is like Hose pipe but more rigid and is a common method for replacing copper, meaning maybe 10ft and the correct fittings will mean you dont need to cut, as long as the pipe isnt kinked.

Stuart
18-09-08, 12:18 PM
ahhh didnt think of the plastic piping :D cunning.

We dislodged a clump of crap and it blocked the pump lmao hence the need to replace the pump and powerflush the lot

Dod
18-09-08, 02:53 PM
Ok, basicially you flush the system with no chemicals, using a hose or similler and use "Furnocks" (sp) which is an additave for Hard Water areas used after the flushing has been done and everything is put back together. THis is Irish based information so the product may not be available in the UK.

A quick scan of Google brought up nothing so again, a word with your local hardware store is in order.

Hope this helps.

Stuart
23-09-08, 11:05 AM
gaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy boiler was off this morning... flue/fan error.

So I whipped the flue off and found that the elbow between the Fan and the flue has a pressure sensor take off which is all funked and manky. Causing the boiler to not be happy.... The fan spins up when power is applies.

Can I get the part?!?!?! can I feck :( Seems more places that sell spares dont have what I need listed, and all the "shops" want a fcuking corgi card booooo I need a R10023048 ASAP please :D

Dod
23-09-08, 11:07 AM
Afraid I cant help you there.

burgo
23-09-08, 11:10 AM
what model boiler is it stu. ill have a word with a mate see if he can get one

Stuart
23-09-08, 11:21 AM
Vokera (urgh) Linea 726 need part number R10023048 please thankyou mr bungle sir

Pistol Pete
23-09-08, 02:28 PM
I just typed your bolier model and the part number and got this. Dont know if it will help or not?

http://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=4610&cat=Vokera+Parts+by+Type