PDA

View Full Version : C20XE on 45's fuel tank troubles!

frank_dh
18-09-08, 02:43 AM
I am currently converting my Nova GSi to a C20XE with twin Weber 45's. I have retained the original GSi multec injection fuel tank, blanking off the outlets not required but leaving the breather pipe untouched. The only fuel feed comes from the front of the sender unit at the rear of the tank. The system now has no return to the tank and the single pipe is routed direct from the sender unit to a Facet solid state fuel pump then on to a fuel pressure regulator and the carbs.

It has recently been rolling roaded and the technician reported fuel pouring from the fuel filler cap when the engine was under load on the rollers. He tried rectifying the problem by removing the filler cap which just forced more fuel out and did not stop untill he pushed a length of rubber hose down the filler neck. It then made a loud gurgling noise ( lol ) and stopped pouring out.

After investigation of the tank breather and everything else seeming to be in order and creating no noticable problems on the road myself and the team of mechanics working on the car have drawn a blank.

Please help the head scratching stop and be so kind to share any info or tips with me. I'll be most grateful.

Thanks

Frank

Lee H
18-09-08, 12:56 PM
When I ran 45's on my GSi the only thing I blanked off the tank was the fuel return line. I put the feed straight to a facet pump and left all the other pipes untouched? Is this exactly what you have done, seems to be from what you have wrote?

There is meant to be a plastic ball in the fuel tank just passed where the filler neck fastens onto to stop fuel going back up the neck on cornering, maybe this is missing from your tank somehow?

novacabrio
18-09-08, 10:49 PM
the breather may be blocked, the ball in the filler neck to stop someone sifening (spellling) the tank may also be a cause

Ben
18-09-08, 10:58 PM
To be honest as Lee said, it seems you have set it up correctly, can only be something in the tank blocking or lodging itself in the way thus creating the air lock.

Stuart
18-09-08, 11:05 PM
Its probably only prevalent on the Rollers as there wont be as much air under the car there causing the exhaust to head up the tank and make the fuel expand/need to breathe. Should the breather be blocked this will cause the fuel to try and get out however possible

frank_dh
19-09-08, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'll be dropping the tank this weekend to investigate.

Cheers