PDA

View Full Version : quick question...

Asa-James
17-09-08, 08:18 PM
how needed is the cat on a k reg nova? i'm planning carbs, but a k plate is right on the changeover for when cats are required, right?

belly257
17-09-08, 08:45 PM
any car registered after 8/8/1992 has to have a cat, but some may get away with it, or if you know a friendly mot tester:thumb:

Asa-James
17-09-08, 08:49 PM
if i was still in the trade i would do...

brainsnova
17-09-08, 08:49 PM
yep same as belly257 your friendly m.o.t tester has two settings on the machine :thumb:

Rich
17-09-08, 09:04 PM
Try telling them the engines from a '90 car/early nova sr. That way would not require a cat test as the engine was pre-cat.

edit, standing around watching closly can annoy testers, i know i hate having people watching me at work. Just mention it to him and leave him be may help

PE4
18-09-08, 10:45 PM
If the engine passes the emissions test without it there is no problem. I took the cats off my 94 mazdas because they don't need a cat to pass the emissions and the MOT testers said thats fine and legal - this was a couple years ago though.

The cat is only to keep emissions down is it not?

The knee-jerk reaction in the 90's put a cat on anything that moved, regardless as to whether it needed one or not.

mulletor
21-09-08, 02:27 AM
it also depends if it has a lambda sensor. as i have seen many 1994 metros and even the odd 1.6 carbd cavalieron a 93. which are never of gonna had a cat.

obviously these shouldnt exist ,but they do and mot testers know this.
just put the carbs on it an if they ask just say it never had 1. or get a cheap personalised plate to make it look older.

ck
21-09-08, 02:58 AM
lol the plate wont make a difference, the age will come up when the vin is entered into the system.

i allways thought it was 31/aug/1992 for cat changover

Adam
21-09-08, 12:49 PM
As PE4 said, k-reg doesn't NEED a cat, but it wont pass K-reg emissions without a cat fitted.......

If you have a carb engine you dont need a cat, because carb engines cant run cats(the cat would get destroyed, because the afr of a carb engine can be controlled accurately like that of a efi engine)

,So just make sure they know its a carb engine, and you should be fine.
My k-plate had a non cat test when i had a t40d 1400 8v fitted.

ben lee
21-09-08, 08:15 PM
its any car on or after 1st of august 1992 needs a cat test. (there is some exseptions to this and are listed in the 14th edition emission booklet)
from memery there is 2 engine type novas that was made after 1993 that dont run a cat and dont need a cat test.

you dont need a cat fitted only have to pass the emission test.

if you say its an earlyer engine thats fitted to your car you may need to prove it to the tester for him to test it on older limits.

if the rear windows are plated up and no back seats and is on the v5 as a van they you dont need a cat on it befor 1995