PDA

View Full Version : Strengthening kit need not apply ??

hc coupe
17-09-08, 04:27 PM
Hello,

So background first:

MK1
Nova saloon
1.2 carb
VERY CLEAN NO RUST.

OK, so I'm planning on putting in a new engine.The said engine will be a C16XE producing around 135 bhp from the fly (so 110-115 at the wheels)

Would I need it to be welded up.It will only get used at weekends so covering about 3000-5000 miles a year tops.

What would you do? Please consider I can't weld I don't know anyone how can so it will set me back a few nicker.

GDN16v
17-09-08, 04:30 PM
If youre going to the trouble of taking the engine out to replace it with something more powerful, you might aswell strengthen the engine bay at the same time! May cost you a bit now but will save you from doing it in the future if you want to up the power!:thumb:

Paul
17-09-08, 04:36 PM
can anyone see anypoint in putting a plating kit on this, or do you think stitch welding would be adequate, or just none at all?

Welsh Dan
17-09-08, 04:44 PM
I'd say the shell would take it no problem, however the handling would benefit from the chassis being stiffened with stitch welds and maybe the plating kit. They'd also help the shell stand up to more of a knock should the worst happen.

If you put a wanted ad up on here or mig you should be able to find someone that will weld for beer tokens.

hc coupe
17-09-08, 05:07 PM
Yes I agree with GDN16V although I think i'm happy with that amount of power and any more I would be looking at taking it out.

So the main issue would be if it would flex/bend without something being done and how it would effect the handling (as Welsh Dan pointed out)

Thank you very much for your time everyone is a great help.

Tom

Dan
17-09-08, 05:43 PM
Well, imo a simple stitch weld (done properly of course) would be morrrre than ample. It held mine together 100% and i only did it purely for chassis stiffening for the handling of the car. It does make a nice difference even if only done on the front end. Although i went further and linked the rest of the chassis with stitch welds to the front

I am still a big believer that the chassis plates are great if you are going out tarmac rallying with uneven surfaces or doing a few forestry stages. Beyond this you would want a hell of alot of power to justify them.

But as we all know bill and bob bought some and said they were great so many followed, and the guys selling them seen a market for them and all of the people who would shell out the money on their mates say so and some clever advertising/wording. who then in turn try to justify their costs based purely on how great they are, and the circle keeps revolving :tard: .

Now i may be wrong with the above comment in many peoples eyes (they prob have plating kits lol) but its how i personally see things and i'm entitled to it lol :thumb:

Andy
17-09-08, 06:08 PM
I agree Dan,lets not forget,a Nova shell was built to cope with 100bhp in the form of gte/gsi so 15hp extra isnt going to harm it.Stitch welding does help handling as it reduces flex in the shell.

RSTChris
17-09-08, 06:23 PM
Stitch welding my inner wings made a large difference over standard. Before whilst it was stipped on 4 stands you could life either wide front of the car and it would flex around 3/4 of an inch before the over side lifted, now theres no flex whatsoever, I have also fitted the full 14 piece plating kit purely because i wanted to :)

mikey14sr
17-09-08, 07:28 PM
Stitching should be enough, but if you do find any area's looking a little weak I'd still consider the plates, especially if you're thinking of hammering it about on bumpy surfaces.

Benn
17-09-08, 07:36 PM
I'd only ever weld them, wouldnt bother at all with these plating kits.

GDN16v
17-09-08, 07:41 PM
I agree Dan,lets not forget,a Nova shell was built to cope with 100bhp in the form of gte/gsi so 15hp extra isnt going to harm it.Stitch welding does help handling as it reduces flex in the shell.
Thats the problem, the nova shell isnt built to cope with the 100bhp!!:cry:;)

The chassis plating kit offers extra strength to areas that need it most, tie mounts, chassis legs, bottom arms and rear beam mounts and the stitch welding secures the areas that plates are not added - which makes big difference to the nova shell in any form!

Dont forget, stiffend suspension + classy british roads (smooth i know ;)) + low profile tyres which take some serious poundings on a normal journey let alone a sprirted drive and all that is sent through a chassis which at best is 15 years old!

Lee
17-09-08, 07:49 PM
Plating kit waste of time unless running a high torque LET or doing some jumps on a rally stage IMO.

Simple stich welding will do the job nicely, and IMHO i wouldnt worry about welding it up for a smallblock running that power, provided the shell isnt rotting in the vital areas.

General Baxter
17-09-08, 07:52 PM
Plating kit waste of time unless running a high torque LET or doing some jumps on a rally stage IMO.

Simple stich welding will do the job nicely, and IMHO i wouldnt worry about welding it up for a smallblock running that power, provided the shell isnt rotting in the vital areas.

plating kits are crap, i manage to twist the tie bars ones lol with a diesel :p

mikey14sr
17-09-08, 10:02 PM
Thats the problem, the nova shell isnt built to cope with the 100bhp!!:cry:;)

The chassis plating kit offers extra strength to areas that need it most, tie mounts, chassis legs, bottom arms and rear beam mounts and the stitch welding secures the areas that plates are not added - which makes big difference to the nova shell in any form!

Dont forget, stiffend suspension + classy british roads (smooth i know ;)) + low profile tyres which take some serious poundings on a normal journey let alone a sprirted drive and all that is sent through a chassis which at best is 15 years old!

I'd give you rep if I could for that.

The plating kit was developed to stop the group A 1300's ripping themselves apart in rallys! Vauxhall heeded the warning and the GTE/GSi 'shells were revised to use slightly thicker steel in certain parts of the engine bay and had reinforced front chassis legs too, these alterations were also carried over to the 1.5TD 'shells.

My personal opinion after having stitched 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4's is that it's worth doing just to cut the flex in the 'shell down a wedge, helping the suspension to do it's job a little more effectively without having to combat the flex. No need to go crazy with it and do every seam you can get to, just do along the main seams in the bay, and around all the suspension mounting points.

Ben
17-09-08, 11:14 PM
I wouldnt bother with either stitch welding or plating unless for track use as Dan mentioned, have seen massive power lets in novas with no strengthening as have many user on this site (the eds purple one springs to mind) and has been run for years as an experiment to see where they give, and it hasnt give.

(obviously is a good solid shell as you have said yours is)

craig green
18-09-08, 11:50 AM
Personally, the difference felt in my car from having the plates & welding done was great. However if its too much trouble & your shell is in good, rust free condition, I say there is probably no need, especially with a low torque/n/a /small block application.

However for the minimal weight the plates add, I think they are very effective & to the home modder, if you have the welder out to stitch the fr end, it would be silly to miss the plates off.

ck
18-09-08, 01:07 PM
if it is a base spec shell i.e non gte/gsi i would atleast stitch most of the engine bay. as said above the gte/gsi shells were made with thicker metal in the areas where its needed so when using a base spec shell i would personaly do some strengthening..

hc coupe
18-09-08, 04:11 PM
Thinking about it,You would need to weld on the Plates for the suspension would you not ??

So I guess you just put your build backand get the job done for peace of mind.

So do they do mobile welders ??

Cheers for all your help chaps

Tom

GDN16v
20-09-08, 12:35 PM
I'd give you rep if I could for that.

The plating kit was developed to stop the group A 1300's ripping themselves apart in rallys! Vauxhall heeded the warning and the GTE/GSi 'shells were revised to use slightly thicker steel in certain parts of the engine bay and had reinforced front chassis legs too

GTE / GSI rally cars also got the plates and welding done aswell!:thumb: Its the spot welds that arent strong enough to hold the panels together, they split/fracture due to the panels twisting!