PDA

View Full Version : more power in a gte how??

exmouth_nova
16-09-08, 11:11 AM
how could i get some more power in my gte ??
simple and cost eficiant please lol

thanks everyone

Stoo
16-09-08, 11:15 AM
have you had look round the forum?

theres lots of info to be had all over the show

tom_beverley
16-09-08, 11:16 AM
Countless different ways, if you use the search I'm sure you will learn about some basic concepts.

Welsh Dan
16-09-08, 12:09 PM
Remove the interior to go faster.

matt_vaughan
16-09-08, 02:28 PM
Yep remove the interior. My 1200 flies (relatively) and all I've done is removed the rear seats. I've also taken a grinder to the inside strengthening on the bonnet, takes a lot of weight out!

Adam
16-09-08, 03:28 PM
Turbo
Nitrous
Carbs

craig green
16-09-08, 05:20 PM
Better brakes, decent tyres.

Headwork & camshaft, 4 branch. Dont bother with power boost valves.

mikec123
16-09-08, 05:25 PM
I wasted alot of money on mine with a piper cam and superchip and exhaust it didnt gain hardly any bhp i would strip the interior out and fit carbs or a turbo!

craig green
16-09-08, 05:29 PM
Anyone could have told you a superchip does nothing...

I had a big valve head on mine with a Piper cam, made a nice difference though that was only for a month whilst I ran it in before the turbo went on!

mowgli
16-09-08, 09:31 PM
spending money wisely on better suspension, brakes & tyres. a std gte can easily lose traction so making it grip & handle will be far better than trying to squeeze more power out of it. a decent head job should make approaching 10%, but to try & extract 150bhp will cost a kings ransom & fitting an xe will be cheaper

paul91085
17-09-08, 10:09 PM
Ive fitted a piper 285 cam to my gte, but other than that its all still standard. That got me 118.9bhp on the rollers a month ago. I can feel a noticeable difference, but like other people have said, better tryes will be a good addition. I often spin the wheels in 1st and thats without nailing it too hard.

Welsh Dan
17-09-08, 10:57 PM
I could spin the wheels on my 1.2 when I wanted to so frankly that counts for nothing. If you're doing it often then you need to improve your driving technique and check your tyres, geometry and tyre pressures. Its surprising the difference having the car set up properly can make especially when you make the most of your grip rather than making the most of your power.

EDIT: reading that back it sounds a bit harsh, I meant it constructively.

MC
18-09-08, 08:48 AM
To the point:

Firstly, whats your budget? It helps us give you the best advice.

To start with the best bet is to change things that will still be of benefit if you decide to tune further in the future. I would get a 4-branch manifold and performance exhaust system and then maybe a 285deg cam from somebody like Piper. You could also have the head modified with larger valves and a good flow job. Those items combined should see a healthy improvement and will all be useful in the future.

If you want to get more serious I would look at a mappable ECU which will allow you to ditch the flow meter and gain the full potential of the earlier mentioned modifications. This will also be useful if you step up, and with the ECU you would be able to run a 300deg camshaft.

Ultimately you would want ITB's or carbs coupled with an overbore and increased compression with a 300deg camshaft. You could see in the region of 170bhp @fly.

craig green
18-09-08, 11:35 AM
All of that still needs decent wheels, tyres, dampers, bushes, braking etc.

MC
18-09-08, 11:45 AM
The post was about getting more power from a GTE, not how to go faster, handle better or stop well. You are correct, but not keeping to the point and are assuming the person in question isn't already aware of those facts.

craig green
19-09-08, 02:58 PM
I think the point people are making is that it aint really worth chucking hundreds of pounds at a 1600 8v. We just didnt realise we were saying that........

MC
19-09-08, 03:49 PM
it aint really worth chucking hundreds of pounds at a 1600 8v.

Without wanting to sound too aggressive, I beg to differ. It can be a very worthwhile exercise if done well and can be very rewarding. One might argue why we chuck hundreds of pounds at Novas and the arguments for, will be very similar.

MC

pikey1986
19-09-08, 03:59 PM
its just the old school equivellant to a spaxo in my eyes but a damn sight cooler

exmouth_nova
20-09-08, 12:50 PM
my reason to tune up my gte is that where im from in europe my nova will fail its mot with other engins but if i alter the original motor it will always pass thank you all for your opinions and ideas however can some one tell me if a pressure reg will make a diference as i could by that quite cheep and have heard that it could make a difference
im looking to spend as money realy is not a question loll what i do want is not to be throing it away on things that will not improve nothing

mowgli
20-09-08, 03:20 PM
the pressure reg makes a very small improvement, maybe 2hp. the way to more power is to get the cylinder head ported (Blydenstein is good), then get a decent cam, then fit a sports exhaust, & fit a better air filter. the std ecu should do ok. much more work will need a different engine management

RSTChris
20-09-08, 07:17 PM
Ive got a head with Kent cam and red vernier £200, possibly had headwork also