PDA

View Full Version : how do i press rear bearing?

Tidy Max
16-09-08, 08:41 AM
Yo! got to change both rear bearings on my car, got my front ones done properly,

the only time i get in a garage is on a sunday at my uncles with my mates, didnt really get chance this sunday as i was daft and choose to do a not very important aesthetic job instead :tard:

i have to drive to/from work everyday and cant get it done properly through the week, should i try and do it myself? suppose theres only one way to learn!

i hear the rear ones are easier to do, what do people recon? as its pretty bad at the moment!

Dod
16-09-08, 10:05 AM
You dont need to press them mate. Its a Bolt on bolt off job.

Haynes cover it well, but heres what you do.

Jack the car up, remove the wheel so you're left facing the Hub. In the centre shoult be a little cap, prise it off to reveal a nut and split pin. THis is your rear Stub. Remove the Split pin, remove the Nut and the rear Drum should come off. It will need some persuasion. Of you have a 3 leg Puller it'll help. If this fails,put the wheel back on with 2 bolts and use this to help with the leverage. but be sure the car is secure and isnt going to fall off the Jack or axle stands. When this is off, you'll see the bearing sitting on the hub. Remove it, stick on the new one and greese it up. Put it back together and you're done.

Stuart
16-09-08, 10:13 AM
dod are you suggesting REUSING the old outer race?...... :wall: lol

there are small cutouts at the backs of the races to drift out with a hammer and punch.

the new race will go in with a large socket turned upsidedown and covered in tape to prevent scratching the race. tap it into place. grease and win

Dod
16-09-08, 10:18 AM
Ok, you've lost me with the "Races" thing Stuart. Explain please.

Stuart
16-09-08, 10:23 AM
when you buy rear wheel bearings, you get 4 pieces yes?

the "bearing" and the silver ring called a race
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/parts_gallery/wheel_bearing_race.jpg

you are supposed to change the race aswell as the bearing when doing that job. I've seen some minging races come out of novas in the past so would NEVER just stick the bearing in on an old race

Stoo
16-09-08, 10:23 AM
bearings consist of rollers and races
there is an inner and an outer race that the rollers run against
the rollers on a rear bearing are attatched to the inner race
the outer race is seperate and needs changing otherwise theres no point even changing the inner, as the old outer will have grooves from the old rollers wearing away at it

Dod
16-09-08, 10:29 AM
Sorry, I'm not framiliar with the Term Race. lol

And a shocking fact, I've never changed the races on the rear bearing changes I've done (all 2) as any rear bearing failures on my Cars were Cavaliers and where just changed to Disc Rear Set ups. I did 1 Nova and a Corsa but never had an issue since.

Appoligies for my misleading information though.
Appoligies

Tidy Max
16-09-08, 10:39 AM
did what you said, drove away, back wheels fell off, everything went tits up, must have been because i didnt change the races!!

lol joking, thanks very much for the info, dod ur intructions were good, i have bought two bearing kits anyway and i think they have the races in the pack!!

thanks, usefull as ever you lot :)

Dod
16-09-08, 10:41 AM
Well in my earlier days if the wheels turned I was Happy.

They are there for a reason mate so best to change them. The older you get the wiser. lol

brainsnova
16-09-08, 10:42 AM
i drove with a knackered bearing and the hub ended up spliting down the centre lol

Welsh Dan
16-09-08, 11:04 AM
If you don't have a big enough socket to knock the races in with, use the smooth side of a holesaw, and a block of wood over the top (teeth) so you can hit it with the hammer.

ck
16-09-08, 11:24 AM
hammer and screw driver to get the races out, and i've allways used the old races to hammer the new ones back in. make sure there go back in all the way till they stop..

mikey14sr
16-09-08, 05:44 PM
As CK, I've allways used the old races as a suitable drift to knock the new ones in with, as you're then garanteed not to have anything hitting the race surface, they'll just press against the outside of the new race.

Tidy Max
17-09-08, 02:36 PM
yeah one of the lads at work said use the old race, gently tap it around so it goes on even, put wheel back on, spin for a while bush on a lttle bit, off with wheel, re tap races, back on, spin spin tighten nut, spin finger tighten nut, spin, blablabla you get the drift, thanks for your help chaps, will do it on saturday!

Tidy Max
20-09-08, 01:34 PM
i cant get the bearing off the axle? any tips?

Welsh Dan
20-09-08, 01:40 PM
Heat the bearing and it will expand, but be aware the grease will probably catch fire.

Tidy Max
20-09-08, 01:42 PM
not being rude now, but is that a proper suggestion? or a daft one? if its a proper one then i will do it! cheers mate

ck
20-09-08, 02:50 PM
i cant get the bearing off the axle? any tips?

bearing off the axle? so the inner race has popped out along with the inner seal which is still now housed on the axle/pin. i would take one of the brake shoes off and use something to gently lever the bearing off, prob best way to try unless you have a access to a type of pulley to get it off. but these should literaly slide off so make sure you clean the spindle properly when its all off

Tidy Max
20-09-08, 05:33 PM
no it had popped out of the inner seal! which was the problem when i could nt get it back on, as i was trying to do it the same way, ive never done one before so i thought that was the norm! all sorted now though, thanks very much!

Welsh Dan
21-09-08, 12:17 AM
not being rude now, but is that a proper suggestion? or a daft one? if its a proper one then i will do it! cheers mate

For the record, it was serious suggestion :).