View Full Version : Trackday users help

BIGS
16-09-08, 08:21 AM
Right im starting to buy things ready for when i get on the track and ive got a omp racesuit. Now i want to get a helmet and gloves and is there any that you lot recomend? I was thinking of omp gloves but the helmet can i use any old one as i fancy a plain white one. And with the shoes what do you think to puma speedcats:confused:

Stoo
16-09-08, 08:32 AM
tbh unless your full on racing, you dont need a suit
trackdays only require a helmet really, and theres no racing at track days ;)

gloves and shoes are a great help however

i have a set of sparco gloves and some toora boots, comfy as hell
Helmets i believe have to be approved but they pretty much all are anyway

get a simpson, in a stig stylee, and you will look like me too hah

Stuart
16-09-08, 08:33 AM
Speedcats are great, but if you wear them all day your feet will start to hurt. I recomend DriftCats as they are far far far comfier. Speedcats are also about 1-2sizes too small in mens sizes and 1-2 sizes too big in females lol, ie if you are a 10 you need an 11-11.5.

Ideally you want a red BS labled helmet but they cost more (but are then VAT free). Ive got a sparco Formula which was about £250 I think.

but any helmet will do as most places dont care about standards etc (which is bad imho but hey). I suggest NOT using motorbike lids as they arent designed with car crashes in mind.

BIGS
16-09-08, 09:16 AM
Ah right cheers lads, good job i did ask as i was going to get a motorbike helmet! so you would say get sparco gloves instead of omp ones them? and well ive already got the suit anyway thinking incass the worst happens so all is good there apart from i look like a teletubby :wtf:.
And i do like the speedcats i used to have a pair for running but as there very thin i didnt know if they would be good being on the pedals for hours

Stoo
16-09-08, 09:33 AM
my tooras are very thin, id drive barefoot if i could, lovely feel through them

gloves are pretty much gloves tbh
just buy a set you like

you wont need your suit, as i said, unless your doing full on racing with proper scrutineering etc
or you get a drive of a single seater or the likes

BIGS
16-09-08, 03:59 PM
ah right cheers, maybe i will just use it if i get a pansy and get's to cold lol i wont be having heaters in the car. Think ill look into them tooras then cheers again

Stoo
16-09-08, 04:02 PM
u got a harness?
ive got a wicked schroth harness here if your interested
6 point

Adam
16-09-08, 04:02 PM
Motorbike helmets are fine for action days/normal track days. I used a motorbike one at donny, combe etc, no questions asked.

BIGS
16-09-08, 04:07 PM
u got a harness?
ive got a wicked schroth harness here if your interested
6 point

Yea ive got a set of harness cheers

BIGS
16-09-08, 04:07 PM
Motorbike helmets are fine for action days/normal track days. I used a motorbike one at donny, combe etc, no questions asked.

Hmm but what about what the lads said about there not designed for a car crash?

Adam
16-09-08, 04:13 PM
Dont crash then lol

Tbh i dont see a problem.
Surely falling off a bike onto headfirst onto concrete is a bigger impact than hitting your head on the roof/windscreen of a car........

Pistol Pete
16-09-08, 04:32 PM
Any helmet will surfice IMO. Most helmets these days are made from carbon/kevlar composites. And you cant put a price on safety. After my bike accident in june, i'm glad i forked out on my helmet. Saved my life when i headbutted a tractor at 50ish mph:eek:

This not do? http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103975

BIGS
16-09-08, 04:56 PM
Any helmet will surfice IMO. Most helmets these days are made from carbon/kevlar composites. And you cant put a price on safety. After my bike accident in june, i'm glad i forked out on my helmet. Saved my life when i headbutted a tractor at 50ish mph:eek:

This not do? http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103975

Something like that would do but not that one, ive got a penaut head and would not fit me:(

trackdaynova
16-09-08, 05:11 PM
Simpson Bandit Nomex is the badboy to have, but at the price of 3x trackdays, I'll stick with my SNELL2005 FIA approved one lol

yum

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/simp-banditNOMEXWHT.jpg

BIGS
16-09-08, 05:16 PM
yea that do looks a nice, but from you saying that maybe something a little cheeper lol. or look on egay and see if there is any cheep on there

Stuart
16-09-08, 06:03 PM
A bike lid is designed to be slammed into the ground and then dragged along it. A car accident could have you banging your head on all sorts of stuff (cage, roof, door etc) which a bike lid isnt designed to deal with but a car one is. Hence car lids not being rated for use on bikes ;)

iirc OMP do a full face for £100... ok its not the funkiest looking lid but hell its a car spec lid.

smcgsi16v
16-09-08, 06:07 PM
Best thing to do tho is go to a place like GPR and try them on first, and find one which is the correct size and one most important thing is that it is comfortable.

Tidy Max
17-09-08, 02:02 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104350

list of stuff off a member in the for sale section, sparco helmet 50quid, i dont know anything about helmets or racing, just saw it and rembered this thread

BIGS
17-09-08, 02:17 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104350

list of stuff off a member in the for sale section, sparco helmet 50quid, i dont know anything about helmets or racing, just saw it and rembered this thread

Cheers bud a good price one aswell, but same its xl :(

im going to go to a place tomorrow and see what size i am. my bets im a small lol

Tidy Max
17-09-08, 02:20 PM
ahhh your a peanut head are you, im rockin a fine fat beaut of a noggin me, XL all the way haha

<edit>

i honestly didnt see that reply up above, where you called your self a peanut head lol
ive got a friend who can fit a waburtons loaf bag over his head, now that is a peanut... we went to ibiza and he became well n truely dry roasted haha

BIGS
17-09-08, 02:27 PM
lol im not as bad as your mate but its smaller then most people, i mean i can fit my 11 year old sisters cap on my head, wtf lol