PDA

View Full Version : How can i get a more positive gear change??

Bouch
15-09-08, 11:45 PM
Hello all,

I took my nova out for abit of testing over the weekend and the gear selection is cr4p and could potentionally scrap my engine.:cry:

3 times i went from 2nd to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd and at 7,800rpm in 2nd you really don't want to be sticking it in 1st and lifting the clutch......:( :tard:

Before i carry on i must explain, my nova still has the standard gear linkage (which is probably slack as hell) and it's not a show or road car, it's a rallycar, so all gear changes will be done fast and hard, so the last thing i need is to be hoping that i'm in the right gear........

So the question is, is there a way of tightening the gear change so that i know what gear i'm in?

I've seen Dar's thread on rose jointing the selection arm/rod which would be much better, but would that be the answer?

Any advise would be great as it's really frustrating and i haven't got the budget to get the hockley super-duper linkage kit.

Thanks
Bouch:thumb:

Stoo
15-09-08, 11:55 PM
I've seen Dar's thread on rose jointing the selection arm/rod which would be much better

Nail, head

all ive heard is good reports

Mike
16-09-08, 07:24 AM
Sounds to me like your gearlinkage is incorrectly set up though.

Dod
16-09-08, 10:10 AM
For a more Positive Gear Change I'd hook up a 240v feed directly to the Gear Box and remove the Rubber Gear know. This will light you right up everytime you reach for a gear.

If you have a standard set up and its in decent order, theres no need for Rose Jointing as long as you're not going to be thrashing the life of it Rally or Rallycross style. But I agree your linkages arent set up properly or you have knackered Nylon bushes in it.

Manually turn the linkages with your hand from the engine bay side and look for undue play.

Stoo
16-09-08, 10:16 AM
as you're not going to be thrashing the life of it Rally or Rallycross style

it's not a show or road car, it's a rallycar, so all gear changes will be done fast and hard

As above, try realigning the selector, or do the dar mod! :thumb:

mikey14sr
16-09-08, 05:47 PM
The two worst points for wear are the main pivot bushes (the ones where the pin just clips into) and the big block that bolts to the selector rod going to the stick. The pivot bushes are non-obtainable from vauxhall, you''l have to find someone with a lathe who can turn up some new ones from delrin or brass.

Welsh Dan
16-09-08, 06:37 PM
If you struggle to get the main pivot bushes made up, LMF sell nylon ones, but at about £13 per pair.

Adam
16-09-08, 07:22 PM
Definently a RJ linkage is the answer.
There awesome compared to the std nova one, no play at all

mulletor
21-09-08, 02:38 AM
i recently brought some of the nylon bushes from lma and they are awesome compared to them old crappy bits that were in there. alot more posotive gearchange.