PDA

View Full Version : Welders..?

Martin
15-09-08, 03:21 PM
Right didnt want to do this but, as ive been let down by mates owing me money, i cant aford the car i was going to buy.

Thats another story.

I'm going to need a welder to patch my hatch up..

Susgestions are very welcome...

Also where can i get repair pannels from, its been along time since i've looked into it.

Cheers martin

BIGS
15-09-08, 03:23 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/search.php?searchid=484518

Hope this helps

Andy
15-09-08, 03:23 PM
Beevers or Sel imperial mate,they stock most.What are you after?

Martin
15-09-08, 03:24 PM
Also whats the best thickness steel for patchin hols up under the wheel arches etc..

Martin
15-09-08, 03:26 PM
Sill, front & Rear pannel

Cheers bigs didnt think about the search, i'm still fuming from gettin let down.. i feel like a **** for letting the seller down, and now thanks to my so called mates i've lost my deposit

Andy
15-09-08, 03:33 PM
Skin sills are about £10 if that,Full sills are £15-20 Front panels are £20 without crossmember,£50ish with.Rear valance is arount £60 aswell iirc.All these are usually stocked.Sel imperial deliver for free if order is over £60

Martin
15-09-08, 03:34 PM
Nice1 andy cheers how hard was the sills?

Andy
15-09-08, 03:37 PM
I did a skin sill which is just the outer piece as it was ok inside.They are more time consuming than owt else really,took me 3hours to cut it off 1 night,then a cople of hours to clean it up and than about an hour to weld it on.Im just waiting to smooth it all in,and then do my arch repair panels lol

Martin
15-09-08, 03:38 PM
Kool i did 3 years of fab/weld so thats not the prob i just never replaced a pannel lol

Andy
15-09-08, 03:41 PM
Christ you will piss it then lol,its just when you chisel off the welds on the bottom of the sill (a series of about 1thousand spots!) takes ages!

Martin
15-09-08, 03:46 PM
great lol tbh its only the sill ends that are bad, maybe a patch up will surfice

Andy
15-09-08, 03:53 PM
if your using skirts than it will,but trust me when you get the sill off its quite shocking inside.Lmao at everyone who has a "solid nova-never welded" pistonheads and ebay ad.

Martin
15-09-08, 04:04 PM
if your using skirts than it will,but trust me when you get the sill off its quite shocking inside.Lmao at everyone who has a "solid nova-never welded" pistonheads and ebay ad.

init lol i thought i bought a pretty sold nova(well it was when spud had it) then when i get it, it just crumbles lol

Adam
15-09-08, 04:08 PM
1-2mm is fine for patching

Martin
15-09-08, 04:12 PM
Kool cheers adam..

going to my old work place a few lads owe me some favors. free sheet metal FTW lol

then to helfrauds to get me some toolage and stripp the int out so theres no fires lol

mikey14sr
15-09-08, 09:23 PM
1st of all don't get a SIP fromm hellys, they suffer from very poor wire feed design, and you'll be constantly fighting it. Go to machine mart and get a nice little clarke and a good extension lead.

2nd, 1.2-1.5mm is as thick as you'll need, as you know from my welding, an old door or bonnet skin will do for making patch sections up.

front panel, is the crossmember shot aswell? if so, set aside a whole weekend, I and a few others have managed to do them in a day, but it's hard going, with a lot of use of the lump hammer and bolster chisel cause you cant get a drill in to some of the spot welds. If it's just the front valance it'll only take half a day.

Rear panel can easily be done in a day, just awkward working out how the new one slides into place.

Sills, with carefull cutting out, cleaning up any hidden rust on the inners and getting the new one on ready for final filling is about a day per side, worth taking time on imo, as the rear top edge where it meets the quarter panel can look bloomin awfull if you dont.

Martin
15-09-08, 09:32 PM
Cheers mike i'm gona spend like £200ish on a welder, and a big gas bottle..

front pannel is just the bottom bit tbh., were a forktrucks had it..

and i'm just going to pach the corner of the sills..

still got them bits on the inside of the bay to do(that we left last time) and going to do that other side proper aswell..

mikey14sr
16-09-08, 06:03 PM
Just had a look on MM website, the prices of the welding sets has gone up £50 since I bought mine! A 90 will do for the jobs that need doing, but if you fancy playing with anything thicker than 3mm steel I'd stretch out to a 150/151.

Gas wise have a chat with BOC, Air Products and Energas and see who'll do the cheapest rental, I think it works out at something like £10/month for a half-size bottle of argoshield or the equivilent. Otherwise £9/bottle for throw-aways, I did andy's entire front panel and half of my exhaust on the bottle I bought to do that last bit on yours.

_JH_
17-09-08, 12:39 AM
pub gas yo

but if you can't get it, what he said^^^

Change the plastic liner for a proper metal one (on ebay for £5ish plus P+P if you are unsure where to find one) and/or regularly remove the tip and blow down it with an airline.

Enjoy, best thing you'll ever learn to do as far as car skills go :)

AlexW
17-09-08, 12:57 AM
As im sure you know welding is one of the best things you can learn. When i started out my welds were rubbish, but with help from people on here and perstance i manged to do some welding on the nova that hasnt fallen off!

Whatever you do, dont buy a crap welder, dont follow my steps.

AlanH
17-09-08, 06:36 AM
i have a clarke 150te turbo, have had a few 90s as well and they're just as good for panel work. tried an S.I.P. one and totally agree with mikey, wire feed is inconsistent. pub gas F.T.W.

Martin
17-09-08, 02:30 PM
as said ive dont 2-3years of aprenticship welding, just never welded out todo with cars before

mikey14sr
17-09-08, 07:31 PM
Standard liner in mines been fine so far, though I reckon it'll want changing by the time I've emptied that 5kg reel of wire, by my reckoning there's still at least 2.5kg's on it!