PDA

View Full Version : Why is nothing ever simple with cars...

NovaGuy1400SRi
15-09-08, 01:34 PM
Went to change the rear brake lines on the nova yesterday, thinking i might have to get rear brake cylinders, ended up the brake lines wouldn't come out the cylinders, rear shoes were pretty shot too, so went and bought new cylinders and shoes, got back, passenger cylinder came off no problem, bolt rounded off on drivers side, so my dad gets a chisel and breaks the cylinder off, while i was sorting out the brake lines, i got my brother to fit the shoes, which turned out to be the wrong ones! :mad:

/rant off

The proper shoes should be in today though so i'll hopefully get everything sorted out and back together soon :)

Dod
15-09-08, 01:35 PM
Disc Brakes FTW. lol

brainsnova
15-09-08, 01:40 PM
trust vauxhall to alter the rear brake setup from the mk1 to the mk2.

NovaGuy1400SRi
15-09-08, 01:41 PM
I've got a set of Cav GLS rear disc hubs sitting from a Cav i got cheap and took a few bits off then scrapped.

Just thought i'll stick with standard drums for now, i got a pair of drums from a 3000 mile corsa b in the scrappies a couple of years back, dont know what it was doing there as it was undamaged and clean as feck, anyway i cleaned the drums up and they are now a nice gloss black, looks far better than one rusty drum and one rusty/blue drum lol

craig green
15-09-08, 04:43 PM
Come to terms with what you used as your thread title & you will realise life aint so bad.

Never under estimate time involved.

Never take an estimate of time/cost from a garage as 'definate'.

Never rely on a delivery date from a parts supplier.

Always expect troubles or difficulty regardless of how well things go, even when nearly finished.

Remember the above & you will never be disappointed or annoyed with yourself or a garages work again...

Spudly
15-09-08, 04:47 PM
Come to terms with what you used as your thread title & you will realise life aint so bad.

Never under estimate time involved.

Never take an estimate of time/cost from a garage as 'definate'.

Never rely on a delivery date from a parts supplier.

Always expect troubles or difficulty regardless of how well things go, even when nearly finished.

Remember the above & you will never be disappointed or annoyed with yourself or a garages work again...

You work in the trade dont ya, or at least you have done lol

craig green
15-09-08, 04:51 PM
Nah never. Just know the score after years of waiting on parts, walking home from garages after being told to come back tomorrow etc.

Everything within the motortrade is the same, from mechanics to parts supply.

If anything ever goes to plan I have a massive grin on my face & a sense of overwhelming gratitude to whoever managed to do their job right for once.

Spudly
15-09-08, 04:58 PM
Ahh fair play just thats the first thing you learn in the trade, there are never any guarrantees as someone always fcuks up lol

meritlover
15-09-08, 05:20 PM
Went to change the rear brake lines on the nova yesterday, thinking i might have to get rear brake cylinders, ended up the brake lines wouldn't come out the cylinders, rear shoes were pretty shot too, so went and bought new cylinders and shoes, got back, passenger cylinder came off no problem, bolt rounded off on drivers side, so my dad gets a chisel and breaks the cylinder off, while i was sorting out the brake lines, i got my brother to fit the shoes, which turned out to be the wrong ones! :mad:

/rant off

The proper shoes should be in today though so i'll hopefully get everything sorted out and back together soon :)

what do you expect buying an old car?

Mike
15-09-08, 05:28 PM
If anything ever goes to plan I have a massive grin on my face & a sense of overwhelming gratitude to whoever managed to do their job right for once.

This is why, if your int trade, you over estimate time & price ;) so when its done early, and cheaper then quoted, you look the nuts :thumb:

Andy
15-09-08, 05:51 PM
This is why, if your int trade, you over estimate time & price ;) so when its done early, and cheaper then quoted, you look the nuts :thumb:
Dont ever open your own garage lol

Spudly
15-09-08, 05:57 PM

Exactly matey lol only prob is i work for a renault maindealers parts dept, and some of the prices are shocking, typical example:- New shape scenic aux belt has a tensioner on it, the tensioners fcuk off really quickly and the replacements are over 90 squid, whereas if you buy the kit with the tensioner and the belt, its on 38 squid WTF???

NovaGuy1400SRi
15-09-08, 08:21 PM
All sorted now :D

picked up the rear shoes this afternoon, so while i got on with doing the rest of the brake lines, my dad put the shoes on.

all thats left to do now is put fluid in and bleed the system, and put my new handbrake cable on & get it all adjusted up.