PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 8v or 1.4 16v which one ????

Ric 16v
19-10-02, 07:03 PM
my car is going off the road in a few weeks time for winter and during that time I plan 2 fit a bigger engine but don't know which 1 to go for, my brother sais to put in the 8v but I'm wanting to put in the 16v coz there will be more power and the insurance is the same for both of them, but the thing is will I be able to use the standard 1.2 nova loom or will I have to fit a SRi loom ??? will the driveshafts, engine mounts, fuel lines/tank all stay the same ????

Chris LR
19-10-02, 09:32 PM
I'm not saying any of this for sure but,

Go for an 8v, easier to get hold of and easier to install.

Fuel tank - Stay.
Engine Mounts - Depends on condition, I think they'll be in the same place.
Fuel Lines - Probably the same.
Driveshafts - I'd try to get the ones that were with the 1.4.
Wiring - Should be similar, however you'll only be able to have 1.2 toys.

I'd serious advise against a 16v, might be tempting with the insurance but 8v is quick enough for me. Remember, you've got to stop the car!!!!!!

Jim
19-10-02, 10:27 PM
The 8v's are easier to fit and work on, but the potential of the 16v's is far greater.

You can get a lot more bhp with a 16v engine, but it will cost alot more! The best person to ask will be CP as he is a god when it comes to engines. He has gone from an 8v to a 16v engine and will be able to tell you the pros and conns of each conversion.

Good Luck.

Jim

Matt Finary
19-10-02, 10:50 PM
go for the 16v. you will need the loom, ecu, engine and gearbox(maybe). you will need to add a injection pump, tank and lines. CP's has 180bhp :o . If you want a 1.4 8v(I have one for sale) twin 40's are a must.

Matt :D

Ric 16v
20-10-02, 02:22 PM
well originaly Iw as going to get a 1.4 8v and put twin 40's on it along with a uprated cam and boared out also a 4 branch manifold but I'v been told the twin 40's use loads of fuel so I'm not sure as of yet, I'm edigng towards the 16v at the moment, I'll also get that grunt that the cors engines make :D :D :D :D

Dicko
21-10-02, 12:07 AM
which 1.2 do you have?
1.2 carb
1.2i

Ric 16v
21-10-02, 08:31 PM
1.2 single point injection

Nova-Flair
22-10-02, 01:17 AM
wot insurance grp would a 1.4 16v nova be? what kind of top end speed could u expect out of a 16v conversion?

Dicko
23-10-02, 07:28 PM
as u have the 1.2i you only need to swop engine/gearbox and a bit of wiring.
If you have quite a bit of cash to spare go for the 16v, but if you are pushed for cash then go for the 8v.
The 16v is more fun and quicker but lots more expense and effort to go with it!

CP
23-10-02, 08:26 PM
Its a matter of personal preference really. Dicko and the others have covered the main points.
8v with 32/34 weber is about as good as you can get cheaply.
8v on twin 40's is the best carbed but you need to get the head done as well as what you said - gonna cost around ?750 for the mods
16v injection will deliver the most power as std and be the most efficient but not exactly awe inspiring. To unlock its full potential you need to ditch the std ECU and get a fully mappable one and do summink major on the induction side etc etc. Soon gets very pricey -?000's
Then as soon as you start to do mods it pushes your insurance way out of sight.
Its a bitch but it all comes down to money.