PDA

View Full Version : cant remove steering wheel :(

Tidy Max
14-09-08, 04:50 PM
hi! having problems today :(

i cant remove my steering wheel, ive took the horn cover off, bent locktabs and undone the steering wheel nut

now what? the haynes beaut says i should use a two legged outward facing puller? and i dont have one

im about to tie a rope from the steering wheel, to my friends tow bar.. PLEASE HELP!! thanks very much

AlexW
14-09-08, 04:52 PM
Pull it.... Just leave the bolt on the last threads so the wheel dont hit you in the face! Its a case of just pulling the wheel square untill it pops off. Simple as. Oh and use the search, this has been coverd many times.

L14MNP
14-09-08, 04:52 PM
Tap it from the back with a hammer, or get a block of wood and shock the column by hitting it. Put the nut back on before doing either for two very different reasons lol

mowgli
14-09-08, 04:53 PM
get a puller from halfords or similar, or nip the car to your local dealership & ask them to do it.

I never recommend doing this, but some people wind the nut out to the end without removing it, get 2 mates to pull like hell on the wheel & clobber the to of the column with a hammer. sometimes it works, sometimes it wrecks the column...........

Tidy Max
14-09-08, 04:55 PM
sorry about not using the search, i use it alot and find it brings up too many COMPLETELY off the subject answers, i stillo should try first though,

yeah cheers, im just going to do that, nice one for your help, i had a pork pie, chilled me out abit :)

Jack
14-09-08, 04:58 PM
now what? the haynes beaut says i should use a two legged outward facing puller? and i dont have one
Steering wheel puller (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-GM-VAUXHALL-OPEL-STEERING-WHEEL-PULLER-NEW_W0QQitemZ260285674447QQihZ016QQcategoryZ30917Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Be careful about wrenching or bashing the column, its designed to collapse under impact

Tidy Max
14-09-08, 05:12 PM
thanks, i may be buying one of those, i really wanted to get it done today though :( (spitting my dummy out lol)

if i were to attempt to persuade.... ;) the wheel off with a block of wood and a hammer, where would i put the wood? as at the back of the wheel there is a big square of plastic which the head light stick is attatched too,

theres been 3 of us pulling on it like ****, ive taken my interior out and were all rammed in there,

thanks for the help chaps

brainsnova
14-09-08, 05:15 PM
sit in the seat push the wheel up with your knees and pull the top with two hands, rocking it it will come off. Just watch your face

Tidy Max
14-09-08, 05:15 PM
thanks, ill try now!

Tidy Max
14-09-08, 05:18 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks brains, it worked a treat, smashed my elbow though, but twas worth it!

Adam
14-09-08, 06:18 PM
Hitting it with a hammer is the worse thing you can do.
The trick is to "wiggle"/shake it side to side/up and down, as that loosens its grip on the splines.
Mine came off easily like that.

A hammer just twists it on the splines, so its even harder remove

Ash
14-09-08, 11:03 PM
I managed to bend a wheel trying to pull it off, I'd use a puller every time ;)

dj_wudgey
14-09-08, 11:05 PM
i broke my fu*king nose last time i did this lol i bought the puller for the job now :thumb:

Dave.
16-09-08, 12:16 AM
some wheels are indeed wiered...

been building my "muscles" up the past few months. my wheel will not budge, broke 1 puller on it it will not move, yet the other day i was 2 cars up in a cavalier, no break pedal to press, and i wriggled like hell for a good 5 mins none stop and it poped off.

some are herder than others, may try another puller :D

Tidy Max
16-09-08, 07:35 AM
blast abit of wd down onto the splines i dont know wether that helped mine but i did it anyway, at work we have something called dismantling spray or something? its a lube which disolves other greases and stuff i think made for the job

Dod
16-09-08, 10:07 AM
I agree with Adam on this. a Decent Steering wheel puller is well worth the buy. You might only use it once or twice (or Daily if you're me) but for all it costs its worth the £20 or so for it.

dan23
18-09-08, 08:22 PM
if its in scrapyard
remove nut put half extension against the shaft hit it with lump hammer the shaft will drop down an inch or 2 an the wheel will pop off
(dont do this on your own car as completey F$cks the steering colum

some wheels are indeed wiered...

been building my "muscles" up the past few months. my wheel will not budge, broke 1 puller on it it will not move, yet the other day i was 2 cars up in a cavalier, no break pedal to press, and i wriggled like hell for a good 5 mins none stop and it poped off.

some are herder than others, may try another puller :D

craig green
19-09-08, 02:56 PM
Hitting it with a hammer is the worse thing you can do.
The trick is to "wiggle"/shake it side to side/up and down, as that loosens its grip on the splines.
Mine came off easily like that.

'Walking' it off. I have to admit that I've always managed to get them off one way or another, until I tried to get the one off my TD. I ended up leaving the nut off hoping it would loosen with driving. It didnt.