PDA

View Full Version : etch primer before filler?

L14MNP
14-09-08, 01:14 AM
(non Nova) Is it wise to etch prime the bare metal in my engine bay before using body filler?
i'm doing a wire tuck etc and have plated up everywhere I want flush and ground the full bulkhead back to bare metal, it had a **** spray job, so I removed that and the original paint/primer. I have been using a flap wheel and wire wheel on the angle grinder so the steel has a good key.
Is that suitable for applying the filler? (thin skim only)

In the past i have used filler etc many times but I want this to be a first class job and hear that you get better results using acid etch or even an epoxy based primer. Any paint gurus that can offer me some insight?

Cheers lads.

craig green
14-09-08, 03:10 AM
Filler on bare metal isnt ideal long term. Etch primer is the best thing you can put on bare metal assuming what you put on over the top isnt going to dissolve it (aerosol)....

Ive had brush on 'red lead' on my stitch welded Nova bay with UPOL seam sealer & she hasnt at all yet rusted since 2002.

L14MNP
14-09-08, 03:22 AM
Cheers Craig, aye I like the old red lead/red oxide. Considered using that instead of the etch primer too.

Well the plan was etch primer / filler / primer / top coat / lacquer.

What do you mean about it dissolving, if I were to spray another aerosol on top it would then dissolve the etch primer?
This stuff seems strange lol
Excuse the stupidity also :(

craig green
14-09-08, 04:02 AM
If you use an aerosol etch primer, I've had the seam sealer just wash it off as you spread it on....? I guess 2k is far more resistant.

Benn
14-09-08, 11:31 AM
Ern no.
Filler is ment to be put on bare metal. You should fill it first then etch it before you high build primer it.

Nick J
14-09-08, 11:34 AM
To be honest the above is a little wrong.... Any body filler will key (stick) to an abraded bare metal better than any abraded paint surface, Its just nowadays theres no need to go sanding things back to bare metal as a painted surface that has been well prepared for the filler will cause you no problems either. If it was me Id be applying filler to a prepared bare metal surface then after you have rubbed this down you can etch prime any bare metal before using any type of sealer. Once the sealer is dry you can then use a 2k primer filler on top of any filler and sealer to give the necessary build to hide all imperfections in the filler and any sealer you may have used. After this has dried and been rubbed down you will have a perfect surface to paint on to, There is many ways tbh and people will have different opinions but the above is how I would go about it. hope this helps, Nick.

Benn
14-09-08, 12:35 PM
Thought you ment i was wrong for a sec.. was gonna come slap you..lol

L14MNP
14-09-08, 12:38 PM
Cheers for the replies fellas! Nick that sounds spot on mate, will go that route as I think you have a 'little' experience in turning out a first class finish lol

Do you mind if I PM you for advice on occasion dude? We intend painting a mates 205 shell shortly and I am doing the underside on my project etc and it's preferable to ask the best :thumb:

Ern no.
Filler is ment to be put on bare metal. You should fill it first then etch it before you high build primer it.

That's the way I have used it in the past, but you know how it is, you read contradictory information and start to wonder lol

Nick J
14-09-08, 12:42 PM
[quote=L14MNP]Cheers for the replies fellas! Nick that sounds spot on mate, will go that route as I think you have a 'little' experience in turning out a first class finish lol

Do you mind if I PM you for advice on occasion dude? We intend painting a mates 205 shell shortly and I am doing the underside on my project etc and it's preferable to ask the best :thumb:

Feel free fella, always happy to help :)

Benn
14-09-08, 12:43 PM
How its always been done at my old work, and what it says on the tin,
i'd only stopper over key'ed up paint.

Nick J
14-09-08, 12:44 PM
Thought you ment i was wrong for a sec.. was gonna come slap you..lol

lol I must have been writing my response whilst you posted! didnt mean what you said fella.

Benn
14-09-08, 12:45 PM
Yeah i know worked that out..lol

Rexy
14-09-08, 08:37 PM
just read this post as i watched some guy who was restoring a beetle use etch then filler, which i was like woooooo what you doing my son. I used to work for a place that used etch primer to cover filler... Etch is purly for bare metal surfaces as it eats into the metal to give the next stage good adheasion Ie HS primer etc.

L14MNP
14-09-08, 08:41 PM
Dude, Beetle Crisis with the bonnet? lol That's what got me thinking lol

Cheers :thumb:

Benn
14-09-08, 09:24 PM
just read this post as i watched some guy who was restoring a beetle use etch then filler, which i was like woooooo what you doing my son. I used to work for a place that used etch primer to cover filler... Etch is purly for bare metal surfaces as it eats into the metal to give the next stage good adheasion Ie HS primer etc.

Yeah but it wont hurt the filler..

Rexy
14-09-08, 10:18 PM
no it wont hurt the filler at all, But its far far too thin to be used as a primer over time the reair sneaks back threw.

Benn
14-09-08, 10:45 PM
Ah no would never use it as a primer, only use it as an adeasion(sp?) promotor on metal metal so to speak, high build primer over the top.