PDA

View Full Version : info please

just vaux trev
13-09-08, 10:00 PM
im building a multi point 1.2 and need a bit of info on a few things,
is there any way around using spi/mpi tank
im using 1.4sri inlet are the ports the same/close
is there any way i could use an old 2.0ect mech fuel pump and use fse ect to hold presure,
will the ignition system need to be changed,
any more info??
im running 1.2 carb atm
am i being tight not wanting to pay more than £20 for a loom lol

Adam
13-09-08, 10:07 PM
You will need a lot of stuff to do it.
Complete mpi loom,ecu etc

You need a high pressure fuel pump

And yes the ignition system is completely different, the ecu will be controlling it, so you will need to swap the dizzy/coil etc to one from an injection engine.

What mpi system are you using? nova gte?

just vaux trev
13-09-08, 10:10 PM
i have sri ecu,complete inlet,injectors,rail,throttle body ect
also have 1.4 spi pump should get in running

Riggy
13-09-08, 10:31 PM
inlet port shapes are different one the 1.2 head and the 1400 inlet

just vaux trev
13-09-08, 11:40 PM
thanks riggy im sure i'll sort something i have spare head to play with,
adam any suggestions on what to take mpi bits off, dizzy,coil ect
will 1.4/1.6 astra stuff work

craig green
14-09-08, 03:06 AM
Use a 1400 mpi head on the 1-2.

Adam
14-09-08, 06:21 PM
If your using sri stuff, that means you will also need to change the oil pump/mod the 1.2 one, in order to get the crank sensor mounted....
You will need a MPi pump, spi one will massively underfuel the engine as it cant hold the pressure the sri system needs
Will also need a exhaust manifold with a lambda in it.

You will also need to change the camshaft, as a 1.2 one wont drive a sri/gte dizzy.

Its a lot of work for imo not a huge gain.

Stuart
14-09-08, 06:46 PM
mmmm overfuel tastic too...

Mind you its not as bad as some tool a few years back trying to run a 1.6mpi engine on a 1.2 spi ecu/inlet etc and wondering why it ran lean and burnt valves out lol

Adam
14-09-08, 07:02 PM
Indeed/\
The only part of the map that may be "ok", is light throttle/load, when its in closed loop so can sort itself to an extent.

ck
14-09-08, 08:48 PM
will run fine actualy. we replaced a 1200 in a corsa only to realise once we done it it had allready been converted and fitted with a complete c14nz inc loom/ecu. ran the 1200 perfectly lol.

best bet would to be swap the whole top end over, this way you will have the correct matching ports and the distributor drive will be correct on the cam for the dizzy. main awkard bit as said above will be the mounting of the crank sensor in the correct position..

Adam
14-09-08, 08:57 PM
Thats Spi, the mapping of the 1.2/1.4 spi ecus are very similar. Both run each engine fine.

Hes fitting a MPi system to a 1200, so the fueling isn't going to be too good

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 08:58 PM
did not factor in crank sensor hmmm maybe a re-think,
would gte items need crank sensor??

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 08:59 PM
as said getting into some load of work for not really much gain

Adam
14-09-08, 08:59 PM
Nope :)
Gte runs off a dizzy sensor

GTE setup would be better IMO, as it has a afm, so the ecu may be able cope with the fueling better as it knows the exact amount of air coming in...

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:02 PM
are the gte ports any thing like the 1.2, i know i would prob be better off with 1.4/1.6 head ect but that defeats the point of what im trying to do

Stuart
14-09-08, 09:24 PM
what exactly are you trying to achieve? DO NOT say "saving money" as this is clearly going to cost a fcuk load of time (which IS NOT FREE)

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:30 PM
my time is free to me:p
i dont think it's going to cost a lot of cash either as im to tight,
trying to achieve a 1.2 mpi, just for fun really and to be a bit different
maybe there is something you can do with a 1.2

Stuart
14-09-08, 09:32 PM
trust me, your time isnt free ;) Shant go down that argument again though lol.

Being tight.... hmm different for a 1.2.... hmmm Probably a service would be novel for one of those engines lol.

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:36 PM
i already have a 20seh and a red top nova so thought i would go a lil different
on this one mostly inspired by reading a 1.2 tuning thread on here

Stuart
14-09-08, 09:38 PM
S/c

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:39 PM
not everyone has the penny's for a vxr ect (one of those engines)
being tight....hmmm different for a 1.2 is this an attempt at knocking me for doing something different

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:39 PM
S/c

??

Ernie
14-09-08, 09:43 PM
Ive got a complete 1.2 i setup that will be going into a shell 1 day as a cheap run around.
I will get round to it one day lol.

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:44 PM
lol one day is that mpi ernie

Ernie
14-09-08, 09:54 PM
well i do have a 1.6 gsi head inlet and engine loome if i fancyed a challenge.
Also a spare 1.2 spi engine complete.

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 09:57 PM
but is it really a 1.2 if it has a 1.6 head???

Ernie
14-09-08, 10:04 PM
it would be a slow one lol.

just vaux trev
14-09-08, 10:07 PM
lol

MC
15-09-08, 07:32 AM
Stuart is just being negative as he was too much of a light weight to finish his 1.2 project.

Facts:

The mpi inlets will fit on the 1.2 head but as said the port shapes are different. The 1.2 has the larger cathedral ports and the inlet round ports. The step is in the right direction so I'm not sure what the effect on airflow will be, but its not as bad as the other way around.

If you want the ports to line up, you'll either have to have an mpi head with loads skimmed off (maybe beneficial for valve size and if you can get the matching cam) or there maybe enough metal in the inlet to use a grinding tool to match the two (I'll check an inlet later). Failing that you would need a good welder to add some metal to the head and then match that to the inlet. I have done this in reverse, ie cathedral 40's manifold filled in to match mpi head.

You will need a high pressure pump, but you can either replace your tank with an mpi one or use a lift pump and swirl pot. Tank change is easier and cheaper.

I understand what you are doing, read about your idea before. Good luck and be prepared for alot of people saying it would be cheaper to put a 2.0xe in!

Stuart
15-09-08, 08:32 AM
S/C = Super Charger :D cheap from a Mini then run it on 1.6 management to get the overfuelling right :D

Another thought (could be taken as negative), the plenum on the 1.6 might be too big in volume for the 1.2 so it might be a little boggy with throttle response. Something that can only really be tested on the road though (would be good to find out)

MC
15-09-08, 09:00 AM
A clio 1.2 16v has a massive plenum chamber, wierd shape though. It'll probably run alright if it can be mapped accurately?

ck
15-09-08, 11:22 AM
the 1.6 setup might be better to use. the air flow meter can be adjusted. just like the irmscher injection setup, it uses a similar air flow meter and people have used the gte ait flow meter on the irmscher injection with a slight adjustment inside to the spring to make it fuel properly.

Stuart
15-09-08, 05:48 PM
A clio 1.2 16v has a massive plenum chamber, wierd shape though. It'll probably run alright if it can be mapped accurately?

indeedy mapping helps.... but this chap is on a pikey mission so wont even pump for megasquirt let alone anything else lol