PDA

View Full Version : Lost Reverse Gear ?

Markus_16
12-09-08, 09:02 PM
Hi,
My mate has a nova, and it wont go into reverse gear, 1,2,3,4 are all fine.
It pushes down but doesnt go over far enough and just goes into 1st, is there anything i could try any commen problems ?

Its a standard engine and box.

I'm fed up of having to push him out of car parks lol so i said id sort it.

cheers

John
12-09-08, 09:06 PM
Sounds like it just need the linkage adjusting. 5 min fix.

mowgli
12-09-08, 09:11 PM
follow the haynes instructions, but check the engine mounts aren't knackered, if they are, they will put the adjustment out.

Markus_16
12-09-08, 09:13 PM
will have alook in manual to see how to adjust it, ill check the mounts also.
cheers for the ideas

scottishstu
12-09-08, 09:16 PM
ye sounds like the gear selector rod if thats the right name for it? jack the car up and you will see a long metal rod with a fixing on the end just undo the bolt and fiddle around with it till u find all the gears need 1 in the car another underneath to loosin/tighten the rod
lets know how you get on

Markus_16
13-09-08, 02:42 PM
ye sounds like the gear selector rod if thats the right name for it? jack the car up and you will see a long metal rod with a fixing on the end just undo the bolt and fiddle around with it till u find all the gears need 1 in the car another underneath to loosin/tighten the rod
lets know how you get on

just tried that and nothing happened lol, alot of wd40 needed got it loose moved it around abit still no reverse :confused:

Welsh Dan
13-09-08, 03:15 PM
Pull the pin out of the white UJ on the linkage, dont lose it or the retaining clip, then put it into reverse on the box itself and see what happens. If it reverses fine then re-allign the linkage using the drill bit method.