PDA

View Full Version : towing a car...

let_nova
12-09-08, 08:26 PM
whats the name of the towing device that connects on to the steering of the car your towing?:thumb:

Pistol Pete
12-09-08, 08:30 PM
A frame?

General Baxter
12-09-08, 08:44 PM
if the cars insured, tax'd mot'd, and you have B+E on your licence and its for recovery only then your allowed to use one lol

General Baxter
12-09-08, 08:49 PM
If a car has any wheels on the floor, it must be road legal. If you are going to call it a trailer it must have been modyfied to make it exclussively a trailer, ie no engine. It then has to meet C&U regs for a trailer as it is considered built or significantly modified after the qualifying date (mid '80s IIRC).

ANY TRAILER MUST HAVE TRAILER BRAKES. There is no way any car on the road will comply with European Directive 71/320/EEC because that requires amongst other things that the brakes allow the trailer to be reversed without the brakes being applied, so connecting it to either the car handbrake or footbrake it not legal.

Unless the MAXIMUM mass of the car with the A frame fitted is below 750kg then it must have brakes that comply with said directive, end of story.

If the MAM of the trailer is more than 50% of the kerb weight of the car it must have brakes.

The trailer can weight more than the car if the car was designed to tow that weight, a trailer with a MAM above the car's tow limit can be loaded up to the car's tow limit. However cat B does not permit a trailer MAM to exceed the kerb weight of the car. I'm not going into all the licencing rules here, suffice to say if you don't have B+E you won't be towing a car AT ALL.

Confused yet?

Trailer lights have different requirements than car lights. The reflectors particularly plus any trailer over 71/2 feet excluding the drawbar must also have front corner markers.

'A' frames can never be legal in any circumstance, the law allows you to "bend" the rules if a vehicle is broken down and needs moving to safety. Same rules as allows a rigid tow-pole or even a rope.

If you had a dolly with it's own overrun brakes then you can use it to transport a car, BUT that car must be road leagl if it still has 2 wheels on the road. You also have issues that the axle on the dolly has to be rated to carry the entire weight of the car so that the brakes are then rated sufficiently for the car and the dolly, or put another way any trailer can be braked on one axle only provided the brakes are rated high enough for the whole trailer, loaded.

As for anyone towing a small car behind a camper van, again ILLEGAL. If dealers are charging money to supply cars thus modified they need a visit from VOSA, taking money from punters, whilst not excusing the camper owner, makes the dealer liable too but for different reasons (fit for purpose).

Just getting away repeatedly with an offense is not an excuse either!
:)

Mike
12-09-08, 08:51 PM
A towing dolly.

General Baxter
12-09-08, 08:55 PM
a dolly is like a little trailer where the front wheels sit in the dolly,
http://i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/0b/26/b9e4_1.JPG

an a frame connects to the tie bars lol
http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/9f/67/ff40_1.JPG