PDA

View Full Version : anyone got LPG?

ednovasr2
12-09-08, 06:01 PM
Wondering if anyone has converted thie nova etc....on here?

Been thinking about doing mine if change the engine to a 16v as is still only 60p per litre and even cheaper if go to a camping place that recharges bottles/tanks or builders merchants.:thumb: .

Seen hundreads of other cars already done on ebay.

Ernie
12-09-08, 06:59 PM
We have a 02 plate 1.6 astra van that has the lpg kit fitted when it was brand new.
It works a treat and a lot cheaper to run.

Gibbo
12-09-08, 07:40 PM
dose it have to be a 16 v to do it ?? i want to do it to my nova

Mike
12-09-08, 08:52 PM
dose it have to be a 16 v to do it ??

Dont talk wet.

Gibbo
12-09-08, 09:28 PM
lol sorry :(

Jack
13-09-08, 04:32 PM
I was considering this on the Nova (even the celica at one point, but mainly as its breathed on) as there's room in the boot for a decent size tank, but there's uncertainty over the duty rate at the moment. Bear in mind if the government decide to bring LPG duty back in line with petrol and derv, the price will go up to about a penny or two less than normal 95 - ok, still cheaper, but LPG generally (in a N/A engine) will get less power and less MPG than regular 95 so works out more expensive.

The last thing you want is to spend £2k on a conversion (I'd avoid anyone charging less than £1500 tbh), then a year or two later have to spend even more on fuel than you do now.

My advice, if you want LPG, get a car thats already been converted (WITH receipts for all work done) and run that til just before the duty goes up, then sell it or remove the LPG system.

Incidentally, both 8v and 16v engines can be LPG'd - why would it make any difference how many valves it has? So long as its MPi (I'm sure I read somewhere that single point injection doesn't suit LPG...) its fine.