PDA

View Full Version : the easiest way to stretch yer arches!

ade
19-10-02, 01:03 AM
I subscribe to the car mechanics magazine - theyve got a project on the go involving a nova 1.2i - check out their method of making a set of 15's fit - the wheels were slightly too big and buffed!

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/7f9b1b8e/bc/arches/rolling+yer+arches!.jpg?bcToD29A_Bjdu.xd

Heres the link for the full pic

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dangadavies/vwp?.dir=/arches&.dnm=rolling+yer+arches!.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Who needs body shops when a broom handle works wonders.

I recently fitted new rear tyres and they buffed to fcuk - tried this and it works a treat! Just take yer time so you dont bust yer paint job!

Next month theyre looking at exhausts and air filters.

And for those who are interested the alloys were Wheelwright AEZ's 15" at ?55 each - with Toyo Proxes T1-s 195/15 vr15 ?55 each

ade

:D

?Marty?
19-10-02, 01:16 AM
When they roll/flare the arches they use a special tool which bolts onto the hub, then theres a wheel/lever to turn which pushes a roller against the metalwork. This is then pushed back and forwards along the arch, and the lever/wheel is turned to keep pushing the roller outwards against the arch, so it get's flared/rolled equally all round. The paint can be warmed up with a heat gun to stop it from cracking.

This machine only costs ?300, not bad if you chip in with a few mates or charge people to roll their arches.

The method described above is just a, shit - what's that word?, way of doing it.

Freak
19-10-02, 11:38 AM
as long as u heat the paint to stop it cracking i dont see a problem with it

cornish
19-10-02, 03:49 PM
Hmmm i'm sure i saw one of the those arch rolling machines at the Motorshow a couple of years ago for like ?30 :roll:

Alex
21-10-02, 01:17 PM
Broom handle LOL. I am just going to put one in my tool box

matt gordon
23-10-02, 11:29 AM
where can u get an arch rolling machine from?

ade
23-10-02, 11:33 AM
most places that supply body shop equipment - try machine mart, hss or such like.

Ade

Nova-Boy
23-10-02, 02:51 PM
seems like a good enough idea if your strapped for cash.

Not much good if you have rusty arches though. Best get the grinder out and grind back to the spot welds. If there really bad take it past the spot weld but then ur looking at re-welding and a new spray job.

Or get it up on the jack and tw*t the inner lip with a hammer to fold it back. Just make sure you dont do it too hard or ulll wreck your paint and arches.

?300 for an arch rolling machine or ?5 for a hammer??

craaazyrob
31-10-02, 07:51 PM
rite this sounds like a good idea when your strapped for cash! so if you had 16" or 17" then you would have to bend the arch up more?!

?Marty?
31-10-02, 11:00 PM
But get a broom handle with a horses head on one end, so you can sit on it and shout 'yeeeeeeeehaaaaa! riiiiiiiiide eeeeem cooooooowwwwbwooooy!!'. Coz that's what you'll be. A cowboy mechanic.

If you can't do it properly, don't do it at all.

ade
01-11-02, 11:29 AM
lol - add another dimension and wear a rubber gimp suit whilst yer doing it!

:lol:

Jim
01-11-02, 02:21 PM
lol - add another dimension and wear a rubber gimp suit whilst yer doing it!

:lol:

Ermmm...Something we should be aware of Ade? lmfao :lol:

I wish I saw this article before I sent my car to a real "cowboy sprayer" he totally messed up my arches trying to flare them. Even my missus could have done a better job than him!

Oh well, you live and learn I suppose :|

Jim

Fester
06-11-02, 12:02 AM
car mechanics is a pretty good read, i would rather buy it then any max power shite these days