PDA

View Full Version : nova heater problems

scottishstu
12-09-08, 03:54 PM
it looks like my heater has given up the ghost?
it was makin a funny noise for a while when on the max speed but now turn the dial and get nothing! whats the common fault with these? do you think it could be the moter? the heater wasnt the best so may change the matrix also is it a fairly straight forward job?
many thanks
stuart

Spudly
12-09-08, 04:02 PM
Will most probably be the motor, pop the bonnet and remove the black plastic scuttle undertray and you will see the motor underneath, its two 8mm nuts one either side securing it in place, unplug the muti-plug and swap it for another one.
Sometimes it could be the switch but ive come across burnt out motors a few times before.

Tip, once you hear the squealy type noise pull the cover off and you wll be able to run some three-in-one/motor oil onto the spindle of the motor, this will cure the squeal and stop the motor burning out through jamming up!

NovaGuy1400SRi
12-09-08, 04:04 PM
The heater motor on my first Nova used to sound squeaky until it was oiled, was fine after that, yours has maybe just got really stiff and burnt out the motor?

Also if the heater wasn't very good, may be an airlock in the system.

NovaGuy1400SRi
12-09-08, 04:05 PM
beat me to it Spudly :thumb:

Spudly
12-09-08, 04:08 PM
And swap the thermostat too as thats a good contender for your heaters not being very good, or check the adjustment cables to the heater box (under the dash) as if the heat adjuster has come off the you might not be getting full heat adjustment!

scottishstu
12-09-08, 04:09 PM
thanks guys give it a go over the weekend

Spudly
12-09-08, 04:11 PM
Fingers crossed for ya bug, im 99% it will be the motor as its fairly common id guess:thumb:

NovaGuy1400SRi
12-09-08, 04:13 PM
check the adjustment cables to the heater box (under the dash) as if the heat adjuster has come off the you might not be getting full heat adjustment!

i have the same problem on mine just now, cable is attatched to the lever, but where it clips to the side of the housing is broken on one of my cables, so i probably dont get full range of movement.

As above i'd go for it being the motor thats given up.

craig green
12-09-08, 04:48 PM
I changed the motor on my TD & the damned thing still didnt work. Could have been the resistors in the heater switch.

Blocked matrix is a problem if the heaters dont get hot enough as is the stat being stuck open. Just a shame the cam belt has to come off to change the stat.

scottishstu
12-09-08, 07:37 PM
probably a stupid question so shoot me down lol iam breaking a n plate 1.8 vectra is there any way i could make the heater moter fit my nova mk2 sri?
as have that lying and save time trying to source one for the nova

scottishstu
01-10-08, 01:04 PM
right guys HELP!! lol got a new heater motor and just fitted it hooked it all back etc and turned dials STILL NOTHING!! what else can it be?

Welsh Dan
01-10-08, 01:40 PM
Fuse?