PDA

View Full Version : Fcuking crap weather

CP
09-09-08, 08:01 PM
I can't get my head round what has happened to the weather this summer. Before the crops even got ripe it started raining and in the entire month of August we got 1 day of harvesting where the grain came in dry enough to store properly. Now we're nearly half way thru september already and I have still got the thick end of £150K's worth of crops stuck out in the fields just slowly rotting and no respite in sight.

Man this global warming thing sucks:cry:

Martin
09-09-08, 08:09 PM
bad times

krobinson
09-09-08, 08:20 PM
I know nothing about farming, but I take it you cant bring in the crops unless its dry? Bugger :(

Mike
09-09-08, 08:21 PM
Id guess so Keith TBH, gutted for you cheif :( £150k is no small sum of money!

mowgli
09-09-08, 08:22 PM
then I read that apparently there are rules about that could stop combines going on the fields because it could cause massive compaction of the subsoil wtf????????????

the sun has been strong when it has been out, but we seem to be getting the same weather as the west of ireland, I think that unless something miraculous happens, we will be a very large cattle farming nation, & have no arable industry.

In our part of leicestershire, most of the farmers got rid of their own combines & have used contractors for years, there are a lot of worried people round here.

Stuart
09-09-08, 08:25 PM
We clearly arent warming the planet enough.... its because your car has been off the road Charles ;)

RSTChris
09-09-08, 08:25 PM
Not gd

ade
09-09-08, 08:30 PM
I woke up this morning to FROST - yes FROST on my car - and on my tomato plants that I've lovingly grown from seed. They only cost me £1.50 so not much like £150k but I'm still fecking p1ssed off coz they should be HUGE and fat and ripe but they're all small and green and sad looking.

Don't have a greenhouse yet either so cant put em indoors.

Cant someone in the farming industry invent some kind of massive warm air drying machine so crops can be harvested wet but are stored dry or are there rules about that sort of thing.

Second pants summer in a row as far as I'm concerned. It's depressing.

AlexW
09-09-08, 08:31 PM
Same story around here too, And i understand you cant cut the crops on sundays unless you have already started cutting?

Stuart
09-09-08, 08:32 PM
The farm I worked on had a dryer, which helps if the crop is a bit damp. BUT you still have to get it through the combine and they really dont like munching throufh wet crops. Plus using the dryer used a fcuk load of diesel to heat it meaning the profit dropped near to zero :(

Martin
09-09-08, 08:32 PM
Time To Flit Aboard?

Andy
09-09-08, 09:11 PM
Im fukkin sick of it,i live by the sea,and i can count on 1 hand how many times ive been on the beach this "summer".Its always a huge letdown is the weather,just like everything else thats english

Lee
09-09-08, 10:05 PM
I feel for you Charles, thats got to be the worst situation in the world especially when you cant blame anyone but mother nature. (Maybe Toyota for building all those Priuses)

But as for you other buggers moaning about the weather, if we had 2 months of solid sunshine youd all be moaning about sunburn and hosepipe bans lol

Mike
09-09-08, 10:10 PM
^ agreed!! If you were born and bread with roasting hot weather you'd still moan!

Rain doesnt bother me what so ever, i prefer to drive in it TBH, espcially when its that heavy you cant see fcuk all! I think its a fantastic challenge!

Although i have one minor issue with sh1t weather, it limits progress on my car :(

General Baxter
09-09-08, 10:12 PM
i like water,

nova_saloon
09-09-08, 11:15 PM
yeh the weather is ****e ive been trying to do my conversion to my nova and all thats happened is ive stuck up a gazebo and worked under that all week
and it aint very waterproof!

Smurf-Xx
09-09-08, 11:39 PM
Its been so crap weather wise my way its depressing! :(

DAN-F
09-09-08, 11:54 PM
try living in wales, had floods all week my mates pug died after sucking in a lung full of water when the floods came up over his bonnet lol

Ben
10-09-08, 07:38 AM
Weve had a cracking summer here! Which seems very odd as its literally about 100 miles from London in a straight line!

Alex.
10-09-08, 09:55 AM
Our land is clay based. So if we tried to get to our maize the tractors would get stuck. Not sure if we've even got ours in yet :confused:

mowgli
10-09-08, 10:10 AM
the uk & ireland have always been a buffer for the atlantic weather, we get the worst of it & then the rest of northern europe gets the nicer weather.

I work outdoors a lot & I have got a tan, so the sun does break thru quite a bit.....

hendrix
10-09-08, 10:57 AM
I wanna move to Greece lmao lol. Can't get enough of the hot weather!

Tidy Max
10-09-08, 11:16 AM
french alps for me lads, definatley, im gona open a bar there and snowboard my ass off, everyones invited to the opening party... in about 20years haha

Jack
10-09-08, 11:22 AM
the uk & ireland have always been a buffer for the atlantic weather, we get the worst of it & then the rest of northern europe gets the nicer weather.
...whilst the gulf stream keeps us warm, hence why we have a comparitively mild climate (albeit wet and windy) compared to other countries on the same longitude.

Apparently the gulf stream has been a bit wobbly over the past two years (as predicted), hence why we've not been quite as warm as usual.

hendrix
10-09-08, 11:25 AM
Even better when it switches off, we'll have weather like Moskva in winter!

Jack
10-09-08, 11:33 AM
Indeed. People, and by that I mean most of the media, seem to think that with global "warming", everything will get hotter, and don't comprehend that our little globbit of land will cool down. Fine by me, I like the cold :D

Stuart
10-09-08, 11:45 AM
cold and sunny = win. hot and sunny = fecking nuscance imho.

Spudly
10-09-08, 11:47 AM
I hope that means were gonna start getting proper winters, i love snow and cold weather, spec with a td it goes quicker and is still cheap on fuel lmao

hendrix
10-09-08, 11:49 AM
spud, your diesel may go waxy and get less performance in extreme cold lol

Spudly
10-09-08, 11:51 AM
Na ill fit one of those heat exchanger things on the coolant line to heat the fuel beforehand hehe!

Jack
10-09-08, 11:51 AM
spud, your diesel may go waxy and get less performance in extreme cold lol
Pfft, this country fails at doing anything extreme. Even when we have an "extreme" storm, all that happens is a few tiles fall off roofs, some trees topple over and Michael Fish gets excited. Oh, and we bang on about it for 20 years as if it happened yesterday.

hendrix
10-09-08, 11:52 AM
but won't your coolant be cold?? lol

hendrix
10-09-08, 11:52 AM
Pfft, this country fails at doing anything extreme. Even when we have an "extreme" storm, all that happens is a few tiles fall off roofs, some trees topple over and Michael Fish gets excited. Oh, and we bang on about it for 20 years as if it happened yesterday.
pmsl typical brits!!
Our storms are crap really in comparison to 'proper weather'

Spudly
10-09-08, 11:53 AM
but won't your coolant be cold?? lol

At first but warms quite quickly whereas the fuel runs under the car so will stay cold once the car has warmed up, so if its gonna get colder in winter it might be a good idea lol

Cormac
10-09-08, 12:19 PM
Hasnt stopped raining in ireland since 2002 :-(

Dod
10-09-08, 12:21 PM
Sun was splitting the rocks here on Monday.

Ben
10-09-08, 04:27 PM
When i was in Vegas last year i asked the barman the last time it rained, he didnt understand what it was, after i explained the wet stuff that falls out the sky's he said oh about 6 yrs ago!

Tilly
10-09-08, 09:09 PM
thats cause he didnt get your dodgy bristol accent.

Ihave to admit our weather here hasnt been that bad obv rain but remember a good couple of weeks of sun.
Us brits are never happy when it comes to the weather.
emigrating is deffo on the cards

Andy
10-09-08, 09:26 PM
Id like to emigrate for reasons totally different to the weather........but thats another rant lol

CP
29-09-08, 10:44 PM
:) well finally finished harvest! Man what a mofo of a year its been- I've been at this farming mallarky for nearly 40 yrs man and boy and I've never known a season like it. In the end i gave up trying to harvest wet crap and once i had cleared 60 hectares I went off and converted my subsoiler into an oilseed rape seeder and planted my rape.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/cpnova/sarahsweddingaug08034.jpg

I then had blow off 10k for some new tracks for the Challenger cos it was so wet it had sod all grip on the old ones which didn't please me! It was a bit lairy to do as well suspending a 20t machine completely off the ground on home made stands
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/cpnova/sarahsweddingaug08040.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/cpnova/sarahsweddingaug08042.jpg

Just as well we put new tracks on cos we had to put in on the front of 20 tonne bulkers to get them out of the fields!

In the end the yields were good and although the grain lost specific weight the longer it was out in the field we did finally manage to get a few hundred tonnes in without needing to dry it which was saving us about what we were losing. Only trouble was i ran out of space and as a consequence I have now got a yard with 250t of barley piled up on it like a ski slope

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/cpnova/sarahsweddingaug08045.jpg

Ben
29-09-08, 11:07 PM
wheres my wheelbarrow! I hear Barley is dear as fook this year!

large_steve182
29-09-08, 11:39 PM
play hide and seek in it.
although saying you been farming 40 years makes you a little old for hide and seek. but you never know

burgo
29-09-08, 11:46 PM
good to hear its worked out not to bad for you cp

Jim
01-10-08, 03:03 PM
That's not barley, it's a giant kitty litter where MC takes his daily dumps.

ade
01-10-08, 03:55 PM
pmsl - that's feckin mental!

changing the tracks on that CAT looked insane!

Big up respect to the farming community by the way - 10/10 for dealing with the sh1tey weather on late!

C14se
01-10-08, 04:09 PM
you cant blame anyone but mother nature. (Maybe Toyota for building all those Priuses)

lol