PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v.............sorry

xxspudxx
09-09-08, 12:10 AM
Have been going through search all night trying to work out what to do and still cant make mind up.

Pretty sure head gasket is going on my 1600 8v, is in my rally car, ive always intended in putting a 16v lump in purely for tuning purposes, and could never decided whether to go 1.4 or 1.6, but just decided 1.6 = more power = more fun?

Now from what ive read easiest one to go for is c16xe but im sure these will be starting to get hard to get hold of, so next choice is x16? But then thing that seems to be getting me is all the talk of the transponder? On my car ignition barrel and key are gone, switch and button all the way, as far as i get it the transponder is to do with the chip in the key? (hope im not talking bollocks here)

simple question am i worrying way to much and should just do it and stop being a wimp and end up sticking throttle boddies, or stick with the easy route and what i know and keep the 8v?

burgo
09-09-08, 12:49 AM
in my opinion the transponder worry isnt! even tho alot of people struggle with it. if you want to avoid the transponder then either use a c16xe loom and ecu or a c16se<< easier to find, ecu and loom. both have no need for a transponder

xxspudxx
09-09-08, 08:22 AM
so use any of the engines but use the loom of 2 said above?

mikey14sr
09-09-08, 08:26 AM
Or for a fee you can get the immobilser coding wiped from the later ecu's, but if you managed to get one complete with the chip and transponder all you have to do is arraldite them together somewhere.

Dod
09-09-08, 09:35 AM
Its not a difficult task unless you're a goon like me. lol

Actually, the wiring diagram os Ad's thats floating about is all you really need mate. Its dead on and if followed correctly, all you'll need.

xxspudxx
09-09-08, 12:52 PM
i'll go with being a goon!

craig green
09-09-08, 12:53 PM
Agree, the wiring is simple. Why let a handfull of wires put you off?

xxspudxx
09-09-08, 05:36 PM
wiring is a right pain in my ass. Just so fidely and annoying. You driving yours around yet cg?

Bouch
11-09-08, 10:22 PM
After reading your question chap, the first thing you've got to address is what class you want to be in.......1400 or 1600?
(if your already competing, have a look at the entry lists of your past events and whats in the classes. If the 1400 class is full of Darrians with bike engines, then go 1600. Same the other way round, if the 1600 class is full of ex-Cup cars or Super 1600's then go 1400)

The second is whats your budget?

And the third is are you rallying for fun or to bring pots home?

If your looking to be competitive then with a 1.6 you should be aiming for 180ish BHP, and a 1.4 then 150ish BHP minimum.

To get to these levels would cost about the same(sh1t loads of cash!!) regardless of engine cc(and you definatly wont have to worry about the transponder).

If your just out for abit of fun and you haven't got a big budget, then i'd say stick with the 8v. It's a strong little engine as standard(I rallied a standard GTE for 2years and it never missed a beat) and you can still get 150bhp out of them if you do abit here and add abit there over time.

Heres's alittle pointer for you. If you do decide to go 1600 16v and money allows you to go for the big BHP, then don't get a Corsa GSi lump(C16 XE) because most of them have been dogged to death. Go for the X16 XEL lump(which is the most retarded 1.6 vauxhall ever did but there rarely hammered) and put the Corsa GSi head on that block.

I hope this helps....

Bouch

craig green
12-09-08, 09:34 AM
wiring is a right pain in my ass. Just so fidely and annoying. You driving yours around yet cg?

MOT'd but not on the road. Need insurance & tax etc

I soldered the 8v loom plug into the 16v loom & plugged it straight in. :thumb:

MC
12-09-08, 09:47 AM
Go for the X16 XEL lump(which is the most retarded 1.6 vauxhall ever did but there rarely hammered) and put the Corsa GSi head on that block.

Bouch

The X16XEL head is actually better than the C16XE, its the inlet manifold that is poor.

Adam
12-09-08, 07:35 PM
Aye, the long curved inlet dropped power, and change the torque curve.

My choice would be a rebuilt block(any 16v), XEL head, then the usual bodies,cams etc,(inlet matched to head)

For rallying, a std engine isn't going to be up to much so the std ecu/immobiliser surely wont be an issue? It'll need to be on a aftermarket ecu?

The wiring on the std setup is a piece of pish, i did mine in about half an hour.
As Dod mentioned, my wiring diagram is about somewhere, fcuk knows where though. lol

burgo
12-09-08, 08:18 PM
As Dod mentioned, my wiring diagram is about somewhere, fcuk knows where though. lol

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/Engineconversionwiring.jpg

Adam
12-09-08, 08:19 PM
There she is :D

Ash
13-09-08, 12:41 AM
8v FTW!!