PDA

View Full Version : More ignition problem...

Jcb
07-09-08, 12:47 PM
Firstly, what is the name of the unit that the distributor cap clips on to?

That ignition problem i'm having points towards the dizzy now, as THERE IS a spark from the HT lead which comes out of the ignition coil upon turning the key to ignition stage. HOWEVER when the engine is turning over, there is no spark from the lead/coil.

Am I right in thinking that the sender in the dizzy is not telling the ignition system to spark? This would account for the fact that the coil DOES work, but only when the key is turned to ignition stage. What do I need to replace in order to fix this?

Thanks

(Ignition stage in this is refered to as the point where you turn the key, the dash comes to life and the fuel pump kicks in briefly. i.e the stage before the engine turns over. As I'm not sure what this stage is called.)

Mike
07-09-08, 03:10 PM
The distributor cap clips onto the distributor...

Change the rotor arm on the distributor (under distributor cap) if that doesnt sort out, get a new ignition amplifier (electrical connection mounted under the coil) if that still doesnt sort it, id look into getting a complete new distributor unit.

jimbob-mcgrew
07-09-08, 03:31 PM
are u saying that your gettin a spark thru the main coil lead when the ignitions on, but your not when its cranking ? or do you mean your gettin a spark thru the main coil lead, but no spark thru any of the plug leads.

if its the earlier, sounds like your coil might be duff.
if its the later, id do what mike says, but throw in a new distributor cap while your gettin the rotor arm, and note down the order the leads came off before u change the cap, saves future hassles of messing the firing order up.

Jcb
07-09-08, 06:52 PM
when the ignition is turned on, a single brief spark is present at the engine end of the lead from the coil. So the coil DOES work. but when it's cranking, then no spark is there. How much am I looking at for a new distributor?

Oh and Mike, ive only just bought a new ignition amp :( first thought that's what it would be.

mowgli
07-09-08, 08:03 PM
ok, have you done an engine swap recently??? cos there are a few that need some wires altering. it sounds like the ignition on when starting wire is faulty, but the ignition on when running wire is fine.

Jcb
07-09-08, 10:03 PM
no it's an all original C12NZ from a K reg SX. nothing changed engine wise ever. Other than a new ignition amp the other day to try and solve this problem.

mowgli
08-09-08, 08:23 AM
do they have a booster wire from the starter to the coil on that model???

Jcb
08-09-08, 02:57 PM
I'm not entirely sure, I'll look when I get a chance