PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - Cylinder head locating dowels

rubachuk
06-09-08, 11:28 AM
I've just taken my cylinder head off and one of the locating dowels has stayed in the block, and one has come off in the head. The replacement head I've got has no dowels in it.

So, I need to get the one out of the old head. Problem being its tight as f*** and I'll break it if I apply the force necessary to get it out. Does anyone have an easy way of doing this? are both dowels necessary?

Cheers,

mowgli
06-09-08, 12:21 PM
use a mole grip wrench

if you were getting the head skimmed, the dowel would need removing anyway.

Also, you need both to locate it properly

burgo
06-09-08, 06:10 PM
try letting it soaking it with wd40 aswell

tom reid
07-09-08, 09:40 AM
I put a tap down the inside of the dowell and then use vice-grips on the top of the tap, and tap it out. No pun intendedlol

staggy_gsi
07-09-08, 12:54 PM
more often than not, when you buy a headset you may find you get some new dowels supplied

Adam
07-09-08, 04:34 PM
Ive never been supplied new dowels, as there not meant to be replaced. Unless there removed for a skim/decking the block.

When one got stuck in my old head,i got it old by carefully tapping it down and out, using a headbolt and hammer

rubachuk
08-09-08, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, I was mid-task when I asked the question. I took advice from a ford mechanic who advised that it'd be OK with just one as long as I located the gasket and head very carefully, which I did. It runs fine.

Is that OK or am I a pillock?

Adam
08-09-08, 04:06 PM
If it runs fine, f**k it :)