PDA

View Full Version : What is that hose for?

Torroni
05-09-08, 07:11 PM
There is a hose running right next to the fuel filler pipe under the rear arch of my nova GTE. Does anyone know what this is for?

I believe there is some fuel leaking out of the hose, which also has a big hole... but only seems to happen when I fill the tank right up!

Any ideas?

burgo
05-09-08, 07:15 PM
thats the breather for the tank and is needed or its a nightmare when filling up. if it has a hole in it i would surgest replacing it tho.

Torroni
05-09-08, 07:40 PM
Do you think it's possible to have fuel leaking out of there and where are both ends of the hose connected?

burgo
05-09-08, 07:49 PM
i doubt you will have as it connects to the top of the tank and top of fuel filler so you will do well to get fuel in it

RSTChris
05-09-08, 08:19 PM
This is a common problem mate, it goes through the inner rear wing and muck/water etc rot it and it then leaks.

One end goes to the fuel filler neck, the other to the top of the tank

Drop tank, fit a new hose and you wont have any more problems

ade
05-09-08, 11:45 PM
lol - this is a known nova fault - when I fill my tank right up to when the fuel nozel clicks free and I go round corners the entire cabin of my SR fills with petrol fumes!

If you touch the breather pipe its moist and reeks of fuel however I had a garage check it out as part of my service/mot the other day and apparantly its "normal". I've started filling it just under capacity to avoid the stink!

lol

just vaux trev
05-09-08, 11:49 PM
as ade says it will be stink rather than leek unless you are rich and can fill up that much

Torroni
06-09-08, 10:48 AM
Definitely fuel leaking out so I don't see how this can be 'normal' in anyone's eyes! I guess a new hose it is then... shame you have to drop the tank though?

mowgli
06-09-08, 12:36 PM
Definitely fuel leaking out so I don't see how this can be 'normal' in anyone's eyes! I guess a new hose it is then... shame you have to drop the tank though?

I think the 'normal' comment means that every old vauxhall has the same problem.

simply get the pipe replaced. it is a pain cos you have to take the exh off, followed by the tank, but any smell of petrol is a no-no

if it is only leaking on the rubber pipe near the filler, why not get a short bit of metal pipe, and some new rubber hose & splice it in?

burgo
06-09-08, 06:05 PM
imo its easy. jack the whole back end up and support it on the sills, this allows the beam to drop down. you then just release the exhaust off the rubbers and let the drop. now when you undo the two 13mm nuts for the tank straps the tank can drop enough to get to the pipe.

mikey14sr
07-09-08, 10:47 AM
It's "normal" on a nova because they didn't use fantastic quality pipes when new, and they're all at least 15 years old so are bound to be starting to rot away, especially being in the place they are, with all the crap thrown at them from the rear wheel which most people just let build up instead of washing it out.

If I remember rightly it's 19mm bore fuel resistant hose you need to replace it. I filled my SR right up last year and was wondering why I'd got 45 litres in the tank when I realised it was pouring out of said pipe!