PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Fillter

Adam Moran
16-10-02, 06:32 PM
Maybe a silly question but do Nova's have a fuel fillter?

If so, i was thinking of replacing it with a clear one and re-locating it in the engine bay.

Cheers

Aj

ade
16-10-02, 06:55 PM
I believe higher spec engines have fuel filters - a cannister that lives behind the rear arch on the filler neck side of the car (by the bumper).

However, my 1.2 doesnt have a fuel filter but I added one - little clear plastic one with a yellow sieve insde from motor factors - 99p - does an excellent job - amazing what it catches

Manta Mad
16-10-02, 09:57 PM
With the carb Novas which have mechanical type fuel pumps, there is a small filter inside the pump housing itself. You just unscrew the pump top and its accessible. The pump is mounted on the engine - just look for the fuel hose connections (1 in and 1 out).

The injection models have a separate canister type fuel filter mounted at the fuel tank as they have electric pumps.

Adam Moran
16-10-02, 10:14 PM
Another silly question - what is a carb? and what does it do? ans what the hell has my car got? Mk2 K reg 1.2spi?

AJ

Dicko
16-10-02, 11:02 PM
carb models usually have a filter that sits betwen the pump and the carb, injection models have them attached to the side of the tank, which filters the main feed from the pump to the engine!

mikeoxford
16-10-02, 11:03 PM
now heres a point

if i put a filter in myself

will it have to go before the pump to stop shit entering the pump and blocking it - or after to protect between the pump and carb!?!?!

Dicko
16-10-02, 11:12 PM
not too serious,
shit builds up mainly in the tank so as long as it goe after this.
prob is.........
if the tank is drained (run out of petrol) and the filter is b4 the pump, it usually takes ages b4 u can start the car.

MattyWoo
16-10-02, 11:31 PM
My fuel filter is between my fuel pump and my Carb, just changed it a couple of weeks ago, it was dark BROWN!!!

Dicko
16-10-02, 11:53 PM
OMG what have you been doing to it :s

Manta Mad
17-10-02, 12:33 AM
NOVAAJ

A carb is a carburetor which in basic terms is the device that decides on how much fuel is put into your engine. Usually located below the air filter. As your car is A Mk2 SPi it does not have a carb. Instead it has a single fuel injector (SPi - single point injection).

If you have a look under the car around the area of the rear wheel (driver side) you will see a cylindrical fuel filter clamped to the side of the fuel tank - this is where the filter is on your model. The fuel pump is mounted inside the tank - accessed through a rubber bung under the back seat base.

ade
19-10-02, 12:17 AM
lol matty - my filters brown too! What fuel you been using? I find shell is v dirty stuff - BP however is excellent and for some reason gives me tons of miles to the gallon! Texica & Esso are sh1te - G/F filled her seat ibiza twice on esso - there was water in the storgae tank which got into her engine - car went into limp home mode - she had to drain off tank to fix it - Not happy! :evil:

If sitting a fuel filter I put mine before the pump - filters only 99p - pumps about ?20 so I know which I'd rather protect from grit and sh1te

Ade

MattyWoo
19-10-02, 07:58 AM
Hmmm sounds nice, my motor is going into the garage next week hopefully to diagnose why shes been running really crap

ade
19-10-02, 12:09 PM
lol 8 - prob all them donuts u been doing of late!

Shagged the tracking, engine and everything else.

Drive sensible like the rest of us (and at that point I fell of my chair laughing at me driving home last night doing over 80 in a built up area so I could get home to eat my chinese! :o )

Never again officer!

Honest

:twisted:

MattyWoo
19-10-02, 02:30 PM
Yeah well bearing in mind i ent got a license yet i can't drive anywhere, but i am curious as to what the hell is wrong with it, I left it running outside my house yesterday, i was fart arsing about inside and after about 10 minutes the revs just started dropping and then the engine cut out!! I started it again the revs were rising for about 10 seconds, then when i pushing the throttle in and let it go it would sit idling again.
Very strange behaviour!!!

ade
19-10-02, 04:05 PM
something sticking somewhere - carb need cleaning/timing sorting out etc...

Prob summut dead basic - wait and see what the garage come back with

Ade

Nova-Boy
23-10-02, 03:38 PM
As standard carb engines dont have a fuel filter as standard, but the fuel pump has a filter in it. this can be taken out and cleaned. U can add a clear filter in line from when the the metal pipe goes to rubber tubes. Just cut the rubber tube and slap either end on the end of a filter. they cost about ?2 for a paper type cone filter in a plastic clear caes and daft prices for a cromed K&N etc. Over ?100 for some of them!!