PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid Smashes Into Earth...

NovaLad
04-09-08, 03:34 AM
God i hate knowing stuff like this :(

It is very interesting though.

Took it off another forum.

Massive Asteroid Smashes into Earth
The result of a huge asteroid crashing down to earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9CuXJSiUE

It's called Apophis. It's 390m wide. And it could hit Earth in 31 years time.

Scientists call for plans to change asteroid's path Developing technology could take decades.

In Egyptian myth, Apophis was the ancient spirit of evil and destruction, a demon that was determined to plunge the world into eternal darkness.

A fitting name, astronomers reasoned, for a menace now hurtling towards Earth from outerspace. Scientists are monitoring the progress of a 390-metre wide asteroid discovered last year that is potentially on a collision course with the planet, and are imploring governments to decide on a strategy for dealing with it.

Nasa has estimated that an impact from Apophis, which has an outside chance of hitting the Earth in 2036, would release more than 100,000 times the energy released in the nuclear blast over Hiroshima. Thousands of square kilometres would be directly affected by the blast but the whole of the Earth would see the effects of the dust released into the atmosphere.

And, scientists insist, there is actually very little time left to decide. At a recent meeting of experts in near-Earth objects (NEOs) in London, scientists said it could take decades to design, test and build the required technology to deflect the asteroid. Monica Grady, an expert in meteorites at the Open University, said: "It's a question of when, not if, a near Earth object collides with Earth. Many of the smaller objects break up when they reach the Earth's atmosphere and have no impact. However, a NEO larger than 1km [wide] will collide with Earth every few hundred thousand years and a NEO larger than 6km, which could cause mass extinction, will collide with Earth every hundred million years. We are overdue for a big one."

Apophis had been intermittently tracked since its discovery in June last year but, in December, it started causing serious concern. Projecting the orbit of the asteroid into the future, astronomers had calculated that the odds of it hitting the Earth in 2029 were alarming. As more observations came in, the odds got higher.

Having more than 20 years warning of potential impact might seem plenty of time. But, at last week's meeting, Andrea Carusi, president of the Spaceguard Foundation, said that the time for governments to make decisions on what to do was now, to give scientists time to prepare mitigation missions. At the peak of concern, Apophis asteroid was placed at four out of 10 on the Torino scale - a measure of the threat posed by an NEO where 10 is a certain collision which could cause a global catastrophe.

This was the highest of any asteroid in recorded history and it had a 1 in 37 chance of hitting the Earth. The threat of a collision in 2029 was eventually ruled out at the end of last year.

Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer from Queen's University Belfast, said: "When it does pass close to us on April 13 2029, the Earth will deflect it and change its orbit. There's a small possibility that if it passes through a particular point in space, the so-called keyhole, ... the Earth's gravity will change things so that when it comes back around again in 2036, it will collide with us." The chance of Apophis passing through the keyhole, a 600-metre patch of space, is 1 in 5,500 based on current information.

There are no shortage of ideas on how to deflect asteroids. The Advanced Concepts Team at the European Space Agency have led the effort in designing a range of satellites and rockets to nudge asteroids on a collision course for Earth into a different orbit.

No technology has been left unconsidered, even potentially dangerous ideas such as nuclear powered spacecraft. "The advantage of nuclear propulsion is a lot of power," said Prof Fitzsimmons. "The negative thing is that ... we haven't done it yet. Whereas with solar electric propulsion, there are several spacecraft now that do use this technology so we're fairly confident it would work."

The favoured method is also potentially the easiest - throwing a spacecraft at an asteroid to change its direction. Esa plans to test this idea with its Don Quixote mission, where two satellites will be sent to an asteroid. One of them, Hidalgo, will collide with the asteroid at high speed while the other, Sancho, will measure the change in the object's orbit. Decisions on the actual design of these probes will be made in the coming months, with launch expected some time in the next decade. One idea that seems to have no support from astronomers is the use of explosives.
Prof Fitzsimmons. "If you explode too close to impact, perhaps you'll get hit by several fragments rather than one, so you spread out the area of damage."

In September, scientists at Strathclyde and Glasgow universities began computer simulations to work out the feasibility of changing the directions of asteroids on a collision course for Earth. In spring next year, there will be another opportunity for radar observations of Apophis that will help astronomers work out possible future orbits of the asteroid more accurately.

If, at that stage, they cannot rule out an impact with Earth in 2036, the next chance to make better observations will not be until 2013. Nasa has argued that a final decision on what to do about Apophis will have to be made at that stage.

"It may be a decision in 2013 whether or not to go ahead with a full-blown mitigation mission, but we need to start planning it before 2013," said Prof Fitzsimmons. In 2029, astronomers will know for sure if Apophis will pose a threat in 2036. If the worst-case scenarios turn out to be true and the Earth is not prepared, it will be too late. "If we wait until 2029, it would seem unlikely that you'd be able to do anything about 2036," said Mr Yates.

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ation.research (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/dec/07/spaceexploration.research)

other article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...o_collide.html (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/154939/asteroid_on_a_direct_path_to_collide.html)

burgo
04-09-08, 06:29 AM
did you actually read all that?? anywho you youtube vid is for an asteroid 500km wide where as this one suposedly on it was is only 390m across.

the way i see it is if i cant do anything about it, why worry about it as there enough stress in life with worrying about something pointless like that

Lee
04-09-08, 09:12 AM
Agreed. It was like reading the plot to Armageddon or Deep Impact.

If its coming, let the bugger come. We could get Lee H to chest it down and boot it back into space lol

burgo
04-09-08, 09:34 AM
Agreed. It was like reading the plot to Armageddon or Deep Impact.

If its coming, let the bugger come. We could get Lee H to chest it down and boot it back into space lolafter billing i think its safe to say we're fooked if we've gotta rely on lee's skills lol

hendrix
04-09-08, 09:37 AM
we all die in the end so bugger it lol

Lee
04-09-08, 09:45 AM
Apophis, which has an outside chance of hitting the Earth in 2036

the odds of it hitting the Earth in 2029 were alarming
They could at least get the dates right ffs!

Anyway, ill be well into my 50's then, and bits of my body will be packing up. Id probably rather get bonked on the head by an asteroid than suffer being unable to crack a woody lol

Spudly
04-09-08, 09:47 AM
Lee did you really read aaall the way through that..........:tumble:

Lee
04-09-08, 09:49 AM
Yeah, im interested about stuff like that :)

Spudly
04-09-08, 09:56 AM
Furry muff ill let you off then lol

Dod
04-09-08, 10:00 AM
If its coming, let the bugger come.

Let me have a word with it. I'll change its co****.

FUSION X16XE
04-09-08, 10:12 AM
They could at least get the dates right ffs!
It will pass us closely in 2029 and if it passes through a certain part of space then its basically on a cloision course with earth.

L14MNP
04-09-08, 10:38 AM
Interesting reading. I love stuff like that.

If it's like Armageddon then that's OK, but Deep Impact SUCKED lol

twistysnovagte
04-09-08, 11:24 AM
its fascinating to read about that, but also a scary thought,:eek:

Spudly
04-09-08, 01:14 PM
Ive actually read through that lee and it says its going to pass us in 2029 and then again in 2036 so they didnt get the dates wrong!

You just FAILED lmao lol

Lee
04-09-08, 02:32 PM
Asteroid Fail :(

Spudly
04-09-08, 02:47 PM
Astronomic FAIL lmfao!

DaveyLC
04-09-08, 03:06 PM
Findings from the $333 million Deep Impact mission could also help researchers devise strategies for diverting comets that might threaten Earth, said A'Hearn, a professor at the University of Maryland.

Sounds like a nice little earner for NASA.

dhdev (Oli)
04-09-08, 03:16 PM
Surely our resident Astro-Physicist (Phil Sutton) could devise a method of diverting the asteroid using some old nova parts :confused:

Ash
04-09-08, 03:45 PM
We can only hope :(

Haven't 'they' been saying (big) asteriods are going to hit us for years!?! Their as bad as the weather man, it meant to be raining right now but I'm looking out the window at brilliant sunshine and 24C!

1.6 8v turbo nova
04-09-08, 03:52 PM
Cool video, can't wait until it happens. Just get the surf board out and ride that huge wave lol.

dhdev (Oli)
04-09-08, 04:23 PM
Their as bad as the weather man, it meant to be raining right now but I'm looking out the window at brilliant sunshine and 24C!

You've just jinxed it now, it'll be pissing down by the end of work :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ash
04-09-08, 06:04 PM
I did as well, about 20 mins after it chucked it down

Mike
04-09-08, 06:17 PM
Interesting read, sounds like all you lot are fcuked then lol

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 06:22 PM
Interesting read, sounds like all you lot are fcuked then lol

you lot? so you dont live on the planet earth then? your not fcuked aswell then :thumb:

Mike
04-09-08, 06:38 PM
you lot? so you dont live on the planet earth then? your not fcuked aswell then :thumb:

Im fire retardent :thumb: proven aswell ;)

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 06:39 PM
fire retardent? hmm you might be alright for a little while but you wont live for long afterwards :)

mowgli
04-09-08, 08:02 PM
the last large object that hit britain was the BARWELL METEORITE. it hit the village of Barwell (about 2 miles from my house) on christmas eve 1965. it was the size of a christmas turkey & knocked the roof off an outside toilet....

Now what is the chance of another celestial object hitting the same target????

Nil.... so I'm going to be safe.......

NovaLad
04-09-08, 08:04 PM
Hopefully it will hit Iraq or something simular.

L14MNP
04-09-08, 09:17 PM
Might hit Sid James Park, can't make much more of a mess.

What a Carry On lol

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 09:54 PM
but if it hits anything . . . BOOM it kills the whole world with a blast 100,000 more powerful than the nucleur explosion at hiroshima. :D

mowgli
04-09-08, 09:57 PM
the moon does an amazing job of keeping big stuff away from us

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 09:58 PM
i never knew that. how?

mowgli
04-09-08, 10:06 PM
as it spins round the earth in roughly the same time as a womans period, it keeps getting in the way of stuff that is trying to hit us, which is why it is covered in craters. also its gravitational pull causes the earth to actually wobble around. ok, the odd thing gets thru, like a bit of comet(Tunguska, siberia 1908) but it would be exceptional to get one like the one that made the gulf of mexico 65 million years ago causing the death of the dinosaurs

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:10 PM
o yeah? do you really think the moon would stop something that big

L14MNP
04-09-08, 10:12 PM
Apparently the earth is covered in similar craters to the moon, obviously we never see the vast majority as the surface is approx 72% water.

I was unfortunate enough to see 'The Time Machine' remake last weekend, in the distant future the moon was smashed to pieces, well that explained why they were living in the trees lol

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:13 PM
:)

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:14 PM
Surely our resident Astro-Physicist (Phil Sutton) could devise a method of diverting the asteroid using some old nova parts :confused:

seeing as i pulled 18ton out of some mud Wednesday, if i do a big enough wheel spin in the troll, it would make the earth spin faster, and move it out the way lol

mowgli
04-09-08, 10:14 PM
the moon's diameter is 3474km & its gravitational pull is 17% of the earth... that will have quite an effect

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:15 PM
at what? just diverting that big asteroid

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:16 PM
just send stu and dan to eat it lol

Mike
04-09-08, 10:17 PM

In a word, yes.

mowgli
04-09-08, 10:18 PM

the effects of the combined gravitational field that the moon & the earth make will most likely help knock the rock off course...

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:19 PM
In a word, yes.
^^ :)

L14MNP
04-09-08, 10:20 PM
Does no-one watch Futurama? We need a big garbage ball lol

I'll clear out the footwells...

Mike
04-09-08, 10:21 PM
Its like playing snooker, use the white, to pot the brown. The pot "anywhere but here".

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:23 PM
lol futuama i saw that one :) funny

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:24 PM
im sure if i get naked and climb to the highest tree, id scare the **** out of it, and it will do a runner and never come back lol

NovaBoi92
Its like playing snooker, use the white, to pot the brown. The pot "anywhere but here".

good description. so we have to hit the moon with a big snooker cue into asteroid, PROBLEM SOLVED :cool:

mowgli
if it comes, I'll just be hiding in the sh1thouse in Barwell. lightning never strikes the same place twice

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:26 PM
if it comes, I'll just be hiding in the sh1thouse in Barwell. lightning never strikes the same place twice

nar it wont come that close, it will be sacred of all the inbreads at camphill lol

L14MNP
04-09-08, 10:28 PM
Mike, sounds like Red Dwarf, planetary pool lol

We just need the person with the 'cue' nice and tipsy

mowgli
04-09-08, 10:31 PM
considering that we can't even get foreign tourists to come to britain, & the poles are all going home with bags of cash, what makes you think it will actually want to come here?????

ps. were the scientists who found it the same ones who keep smashing space probes into mars because they cock up the sums????????

Mike
04-09-08, 10:33 PM
good description. so we have to hit the moon with a big snooker cue into asteroid, PROBLEM SOLVED :cool:

Trust me, Im a Doctor :thumb:

Snooker, Moon, Metor, Job for Dave.

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:33 PM
Trust me, Im a Doctor :thumb:

Snooker, Moon, Metor, Job for Dave.

well put :)

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:34 PM
mike id give it ago, id do anything for a laff lol

Mike
04-09-08, 10:35 PM
mike id give it ago, id do anything for a laff lol

He who laugh's last laughs loudest :thumb:

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:38 PM
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
:p

Mike
04-09-08, 10:39 PM
Ha.

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:44 PM
I Laughed Loudest

NovaBoi92
wait. . how can i type loudly?

Mike
I Laughed Loudest

Im deaf, so I win anyway :thumb:

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:46 PM
sorry i tried

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:52 PM
sorry i tried

WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP, YOU HAVE SCHOOL IN THE MORNING lol

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:53 PM
NOOOOOOO IM A BIG BOY NOW I LEFT SCHOOL i start college in 2 weeks doing a course on car mechanics cant wait!

General Baxter
04-09-08, 10:54 PM
and in 3-5 years time, you will be saying, why didn't i listen at school, ****e job lol

NovaBoi92
04-09-08, 10:54 PM
i done pretty well in school. some people say to me that i can do so much more than car mechanics but thats what i enjoy doing. anyway back to this big rock destroying the earth that is going to be hit by a pool cue. . .