PDA

View Full Version : White ring Diesel tune probs

PE4
03-09-08, 11:57 PM
Hello all.

I have been reading through the guides on tuning my TD, and it says on the 1.5TD I can reach the bits to remove the 'white ring' and the photo shows it clearly. My cover on the fuel bit touches the inlet manifold - will it still be possible to do it without removing the inlet manifold? I can prob get the cover off with minimal hassle, but then lifting the diaphram out might be dodgy - anyone else have the same, and will I be okay to try it?

Cheers

Steve

burgo
04-09-08, 12:42 AM
imo your better off getting an n/a inlet manifold as it is a much much better design. get a vacumn/boost take of in it the as your swopping the manifolds modify the fuel pump aswell ;)

PE4
04-09-08, 12:47 AM
So fitting an n/a inlet will be pretty easy as I imagine it the exact reverse as removing it (I don't have a haynes manual but its only eight bolts is it not?)

What do you mean by ' vacumn/boost' if you mean gauge then I fitted one today :)

I want to do the mod tomorrow, so will try without removing the manifold and see what happens, otherwise there is a 1.7n/a corsa at the scrappies I might rape.

burgo
04-09-08, 01:02 AM
seriously do the manifold now. saves ripping it apart again later. by the take off i assume you fitted your boost guage to the pipe between the manifold and pump? where this pipe connects to the manifold the n/a manifold doesnt have this take off so need to sort a take off somehow.

PE4
04-09-08, 01:17 AM
Yeah thats where I fitted the gauges pipe. I will check the manifold at the breakers and see what its like and then take it from there.

If I was going to fit a cone filter where should it go, cos I have a filter in the big rectangle bit on the inlet manifold, and one in the normal looking air box, also the airbox has another box bit beneath it, whats that?

Cheers

burgo
04-09-08, 01:26 AM
you want to ditch all the standard piping. the hard metal pip that comes off the turbo want to be unbolted from the head and turned to face behind the headlight. then put a filter on the end of that.

burgo
04-09-08, 01:27 AM
big fat tube right of the engine in this pic

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/td/DSCN1624.jpg

PE4
04-09-08, 08:46 AM
I see, I will go and see whats in the halford clearance bin, always a filter or something cheap :)

Going by the picture I can remove the miles of plastic from the right hand side also? Also what do you do with the end where the fat pipe was on the engine?

Cheers for help so far mate too :)

burgo
04-09-08, 09:42 AM
not sure which bit you mean mate?

PE4
04-09-08, 10:55 AM
in the picture there is a big open hole on the inlet - what should be on that? and can I remove the little airbox that sits behind the headlamp because there is a filter in the inlet bit?

burgo
04-09-08, 10:57 AM
that big hole is part of the filter system and not needed. rip out all the resonator boxes and associated pipework and leave just the pipe going fro turbo to inlet and turbo to filter

PE4
04-09-08, 11:14 AM
Thought that might be the case, cheers mate.

The inlet on the corsa in the scrappy is buggered - big crack in it - so I will try the white ring mod today, want to try it without undoing the inlet manifold like the guide says, but don't know how far you have to lift the diaphram out to see the white ring. Also I don't have the right tool for the bolts on it.

PE4
04-09-08, 06:38 PM
I couldn't get the fuel mod done, need to remove inlet so managed to get a gasket by 4pm - will have to do it tomorrow morning now.

I fitted a cone filter today - nice noises and will sound good when boost is increased :D

What did you do with the pipe to the rocker cover? I put on one of those little breathers as I had one in the shed, but whisps of smoke come out of it - is this normal?

Cheers

burgo
05-09-08, 06:32 AM
to be honest the white ring mod isn't necessarily needed. from what i can see it just makes it more responsive and allows a little more movement. so for now you could just turn up the fueling and then do the white ring mod later on. that pipe off the rocker is just a breather and so therefore yes its normal for smoke to come out of it. you might be better off with a catch tank tho as you might find you get oil dripping out of it

PE4
05-09-08, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the replies mate. I won't remove the white ring yet cos its pouring down ouside, and I may as well wait for when I can get hold of the different inlet.

I have a catch tank bit so I will throw that on.

Cheers for the help mate :thumb:

burgo
05-09-08, 10:49 AM
have you managed to access the max fuel screw?

PE4
05-09-08, 01:06 PM
Yeah that was easy mate, it just popped off.

I have increased the fuel, fitted a boost controller (posh bleed valve from ebay lol ) fitted a boost gauge and I am currently running around 16/17 psi. That seems to be all I can get - would it make much difference if the pipe from the boost controller to the wastegate was a slightly larger diameter than previous?

Loving the turbo noise a smoke puffs lol

burgo
05-09-08, 01:19 PM
no that shouldnt matter. you should be able to get to 20 psi tho. unless of course you havnt blocked the safety blow off valve

PE4
05-09-08, 01:24 PM
Okay, safety blow off valve? Didn't see that in the guide - where is it please mate?

PE4
05-09-08, 01:24 PM
and what did you block it off with?

burgo
05-09-08, 01:43 PM
its in the filter housing. can be seen in the pic i put up. all i did is take it out and used electrical tape to tape it up then re-fitted it. sounds pikey but it worked

PE4
05-09-08, 01:54 PM
hehe everything can be sorted with a bit of tape!

I will give that a go now and see what I get :)

burgo
05-09-08, 02:00 PM
it sounds like thats what it is. mine only used to make 15psi until i did that

PE4
05-09-08, 02:28 PM
did you put tape over the bottom end, or just tape the tophat to the body?

If I tape up the bottom, the tape will get cut off due to the thread.

burgo
05-09-08, 02:37 PM
kind of answered your own question there mate ;)

PE4
05-09-08, 02:39 PM
haha its been a looooong day

PE4
05-09-08, 06:31 PM
Hello again.

The preivious owner must have removed it for some reason, because it has been threaded on the way back in :mad: it is about 90% home so should be solid enough so not to let pressure out. I will not try and remove it - there is a 1.5TD inlet in my local breakers, so will get that on monday.

I taped the valve shut, but maybe not enough because I am still only getting 16psi. I checked all the hoses and everything is nice and tight. I do have flat spots around 4250-4600 rpm though - do you think I might not have enough fuel getting through? I turned the fuel screw 180 deg like the guide suggested.

I will try and seal the valve over the weekend and see if that is what is doing it.

burgo
05-09-08, 06:59 PM
only way to know is check for smoke. im sure i had to turn it alot more than just 180 degrees tho. you really shouldnt need to rev it that high tho. id be changing before then. basically turn the fuel up and find out

General Baxter
05-09-08, 07:00 PM
iirc, about 20psi its about 1 full turn

PE4
05-09-08, 08:14 PM
I do get smoke when boosting from 9-16psi. I will give the fuel screw another 180 in the morning - just about to go to the pub :)

Thanks for the help so far, made me smile when the wheels span when turbo came alive (was wet and I was turning a little bit) :D

Spudly
06-09-08, 12:23 PM
What does yours rev to as mine in me cav only goes to about 5k iirc but when i had it on the rollers @ well lane the printout showed she peaks at 4100rpm so you wanna be changing around there, that flat spot is probably where the engines running out of steam in that gear!

PE4
06-09-08, 03:16 PM
I am not sure if the clocks are accurate, they are from another model as the merits didn't get rev counters (as far as I know anyway)

I feel the turbo come in just after 3000 and it keeps pulling till the flat spot at 4250 ish then takes off again at 4600 till 5000 and a little after that, but I don't drive it past 5 normally.

The flat spot doesn't happen all of the time, only if throttle floored from 2k, but If I change down and the rpm is at 4k it pulls solidly up to 5k.

Spudly
06-09-08, 04:03 PM
Did you adjust the max fuel screw whilst you did this as that could be the problem as its not fueling as well as it should do by the sound of it!

burgo
06-09-08, 06:08 PM
the turbo should be coming in before 3000rpm. its usually just after 2000. sounds to me like you need to get a much better exhaust system on it

Spudly
06-09-08, 06:10 PM
^^^^^Agreed, ive got a pipercross filter on mine and i can hear it start to whistle up just after 2klol

adamz
07-09-08, 01:50 PM
no that shouldnt matter. you should be able to get to 20 psi tho. unless of course you havnt blocked the safety blow off valve
have you got a picture mate of were the safty blow of valve is????
and also , if you are running 20psi of boost , how far do you turn that max fueling screw??? , i have only turned mine 90 degrees

burgo
07-09-08, 01:57 PM
blow off valve is circled in the red

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/blowoffvalve.jpg

burgo
07-09-08, 01:58 PM
and adamz i dont know and it will be slightly different for each car. you need to have abit of smoke of full boost so keep turning it up till you get this

adamz
07-09-08, 01:59 PM
blow off valve is circled in the red

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/sclurgess/blowoffvalve.jpg
so all i have to do is tape the top of this up???

burgo
07-09-08, 02:02 PM
you tape up between the main body and top of it. hard to explain but should become clear when you look at it

adamz
07-09-08, 02:06 PM
ok ill have look at it soon , when they are boosting 20psi and the feul is correct , how quick will it be , rufly as fast as a ???........

burgo
07-09-08, 02:14 PM
i beat a 306 xsi at 15psi.

adamz
07-09-08, 02:25 PM
nice lol , i was just asking as i didnt no what sort of power to expect from it when it being tuned thats all

PE4
07-09-08, 07:51 PM
Right, I have 20psi set now. I upped the fuel loads and then turned it down to the point where it just makes 20psi so as not to waste too much. I proper sealed the safety valve and also got one from the scrappy and my mate will weld a lid on it on monday.

I get a lot of smoke when I give it full throttle.

My flat spot have gone so must have been starved of fuel before.

The clocks came out of a petrol car and go up to 7k, where as the diesel ones don't. The diesel clock shows 2k where the petrol 3k is, so with my car boosting at 3.3k+ would be about right on the clocks currently fitted.

It is a massive difference over standard and goes well enough now, so I am happy with that. Going to fit the suspension bits this week, then start collecting all the bits to make it a 1.7TD :)

Cheers for all the help :D

PE4
07-09-08, 07:55 PM
Oh yeah, with all of this are there any engine probs I should worry about, or is the engine solid enough to handle it constantly?

Cheers

General Baxter
07-09-08, 08:05 PM
Oh yeah, with all of this are there any engine probs I should worry about, or is the engine solid enough to handle it constantly?

Cheers

yeah, will handle it fine, its only when you try an get 300+bhp and 400+LB out of it lol

burgo
08-09-08, 04:59 AM
ahhh that'll be the problem then. im sure the diesel clocks and petrol clocks require a different signal hence it reading wrong. no youve got it boosting properly you need to fine tune the fueling. keep turning it down until your getting abit and not alot of smoke coming out. get a mate to help you if need be

PE4
08-09-08, 09:42 AM
I will fine tune the fuelling today, shouldn't take long though.

I have a mechanical boost controller fitted, but it doesn't seem to do a lot, the difference between it closed and fully open is marginal, only a handful of psi. With it fully closed should it not be boosting alot less?

burgo
08-09-08, 09:49 AM
depends on the bleed valve but most increase the pressure the more you undo them as this allows more air to bleed out. so i would of thought winding yours all the way in would turn the boost up, but as i said depends on the boost valve

PE4
08-09-08, 05:15 PM
I have got it so I only have a bit of smoke on boost so its all good now :)

My bleed valve does work, its just that it doesn't make the difference that I was led to believe.