PDA

View Full Version : removing side repeaters

Nova1.6
16-10-02, 01:11 PM
just got clear side repeaters, how the fvck do u get the white plastic bits outa the wing behind the old orange lense? haynes manual dont say! Thought about raging it out with screw driver but wasn't sure if there's another way?
Neil

MattyWoo
16-10-02, 01:44 PM
You could take the wing off!!!! and take it out that way

Nova1.6
16-10-02, 01:53 PM
nah to complicated for me, the new set ive got havent got the bulb conectors in, so i might just chop some of the old bit down and super glue the new ones on, simple enough!

GR
16-10-02, 03:13 PM
Just don't drop the wiring from the repeater down the open hole, or it'll be lost forever !
Basically, you'll need to take your wing off.

MattyWoo
16-10-02, 04:02 PM
Told ya :P

Anton
16-10-02, 04:26 PM
Should have got some like mine, the originals but clear 8) a mod you can do in under 10 seconds :lol:

Mr Dan
16-10-02, 05:55 PM
I got clear oval ones which were universal fitment. I twisted off the old orange covers then pulled the bulb, wiring and white plastic casing out of the hole. I then took the old bulb out and cut away and filed enough of its plastic casing to allow the new clear cover to go on to it (had to modify the back of this a bit too so it would fit through the hole on the panel.) Then I clipped the new orange bulb into the existing white plastic modified holder, pushed the clear cover over the top and stuck it on. What I've said should make more sense if you try and do it yourself. Takes a bit of time and patience but it is worth it.

8)

Breeny
16-10-02, 06:31 PM
SuperDan, what car do you drive? I'm up hemel on Tuesdays, seen a few nova's around.

R.E. removing standard repeaters.. I replaced mine in my old nova by carefully snipping at the plastic with wire cutters cutting it into smaller pieces, eventually i managed to pull it out. Just make sure you don't let the wires fall back into the wing cos then you will have to take it off!

I don't have any repeaters in my wings, ooops hello Mr Mot tester :roll: :lol:

Mr Dan
16-10-02, 06:42 PM
Nothing special Breeny - silver 5dr K-reg luxe+!!! I've done the ICE and a few subtle mods but the insurers won't let me do alloys etc yet as my Dad sorted the cheapest policy for me which didn't like mods. You're more likely to hear me than see me! Oh yeah about the 5 doors - it was very cheap and I'm learning to mod on it before something better! :lol:

Another tip with the side repeaters, be careful when working around, removing, cutting etc. that you don't accidentally scratch the bodywork up. Cut away from the bodywork if you have to modify the repeaters.

8)

ade
18-10-02, 12:42 PM
the white bit is held in place by 2 clips - 2 small flat head screw drivers either side will get it out no probs.

As for the new ones, you'll need to attach the wires for the new ones t the old ones - crimp connectors are the best for this (unless you have a soldering iron).

Getting the wing off in one option but its a faff on cos u need to remove bumper/grill etc and the rejoin with mastick to stop rusting.

Ade

wisewood
18-10-02, 02:35 PM
Neil - try and get some clear versions of the standard...
it will save you loads of messing around.
Must be able to get some from somewhere.
Or colour your old ones a little bit with some thinned down paint so they are red... then they will blend into car better. It's not like this mod is gonna make a huge difference to your aerodynamics (not much) and fair enough the clear oval ones do add 30bhp :D but you would kill yourself if your car went fast anyway... lol.

Tilly
18-10-02, 06:02 PM
mine were pulled about by thieves who knicked my car and they didnt make a mess. so i just stuck clear bak in

MattyWoo
18-10-02, 07:14 PM
http://www.pvdnet.co.uk/lighting/ultra.asp

Go to the bottom of the page, vauxhall round side repeaters

Chris LR
19-10-02, 10:17 PM
Get a really early Mk1 they didn't have any!

Ric 16v
20-10-02, 05:26 PM
it's a piece of piss 2 get the old ones off, take the orange lense off then pull the rubber piece back or pull it off and on either side u will just c a little bit of plastic thats behind the wing but u should be able to see it, push that in on either side and it will just pull out, job done !!!! :D :D :D 8)

burney
21-10-02, 11:15 PM
i did mine when i put me new mk2 wings on me F reg, i relocated them lower down and got the really flat 8 led kind, they stick on all i had to do was drill a really small hole for th wires

Paul
03-11-02, 11:07 PM
pull with a pair of pliers to snap that whit bit off. If u scratch the bodywork it dont really matter bcoz if u will cover it up with the indicator anyway. If u drop the wires down the hole... u have to reach up and under the wheel arch, theres a hole in there, beleive me its a bitch to find, and u can push the wires back through. Your arm will be black wen u pull it out agen tho!

Chris LR
04-11-02, 11:23 AM
If you scratch the bodywork you'll have the age old problem of rust which doesn't look good!

If i'm thinking of the same small hole it's covered by a piece of plastic which only comes off it's imposiible to get back on, which means you can get water spraying up into the engine bay.

wisewood
04-11-02, 01:29 PM
helps keep it cools though. lol.
especially when all the rust eats big hols in the engine bay. :D

bfuller
04-11-02, 03:37 PM
am i the only one whos realised that you can get side repeaters out by sticking your arm up the front arch, find the hole in the inside of the arch that leads to the area behind the front wing, shove your hand up it, locate the side repeaters, and push the clips in to get them out!, easy peasy, helps if youve got long skinny arms though!

Fester
05-11-02, 11:30 AM
push the white tabs in with a really small screwdriver and carefully pull the holder out.

i just got whichever design of repeater i wanted (clear oval with slight smoke and blue tinge in light!!) and then chopped the original holder up and stuck it into the repeater with silicon. On the back of the repeater i then cut all the clips off and skimmed down the back with a scalpel knife to make it flat and then soliconed em on! easy!

this was on the red one, when i took it apart i just put them in a box, i still have them, they look smart as fuck!

anyway its that easy m8

?Marty?
05-11-02, 02:31 PM
I have images of brittney sticking her hands into holes in my head now.