PDA

View Full Version : mot help[

scottishstu
03-09-08, 07:14 PM
right guys looking for some advise on this one!
took my car for the dreaded mot today wasnt too ba how never i went to get the bits to fix it ,but the guy in the car shop after going through 10+ books couldnt find what i was looking for only the mount!

so heres the problem
front mac strut has excessive movement in the upper support BEARING ASSEMBLY! do these have bearings?? or is it just a rubber mount?

and help be great as need it fixed asap its a j plate 92 sri by the way

many thanks
stuart

Iain
03-09-08, 07:20 PM
Are you talking about the front suspension topmount? Yes they have a bearing in, I've heard of people buying them new but not sure where from.

Adam
03-09-08, 07:20 PM
Yes they have bearings.
You can buy a replacement new from a decent motor factors, and maybe off ebay etc.

Tidy Max
03-09-08, 07:22 PM
front mac strut? is that its whole name or an abbrievated one? (not big on engine knowledge... or knowledge in general really :tard: but ill look it up in the old haynes manual if that will help??

<edit>
well you two got in there quick! nevermind haha

Adam
03-09-08, 07:23 PM
MacPherson

scottishstu
03-09-08, 07:26 PM
the guy at the car shop i was at said he couldnt find one with bearings in and help be great

heres the exact thing from the mot sheet
offside front macpherson strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly

thanks

scottishstu
03-09-08, 07:27 PM
just wrote mac for quickness

thanks adam

Adam
03-09-08, 07:31 PM
Yeah, it sounds like the bearing has collapsed and now has play. Or the rubber section is worn, causing play.
Take the top mount apart to have a look and see whats what

scottishstu
03-09-08, 08:48 PM
ive got some knowlege of cars but never replaced a top mount although have taken the suspencion/springs off completly take it just have to use the spring clamps and just loosen 3 bolts at the top instead of stripping it all off?

Adam
03-09-08, 09:02 PM
Spring clamps and then undo the middle 19mm nut. Usually need an air gun reomove them

scottishstu
04-09-08, 01:21 AM
thanks adam hopefully get it sorted tommorow?

scottishstu
05-09-08, 01:46 AM
well job done!!! got the mount today wasnt sure going to be the right one when i saw it was all rubber! any way got the old one off and it was the exact same!! so happy days! thought gonna be a nightmare to track the right part down as everywhere i phone said wasnt listed ,not to worry back for retest tommorow and then be on the road again where it belongs ....