PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump

cooltom31
03-09-08, 03:18 PM
my fuel pump has packed in on my novaand im thinking of buyin a new one, the one on the car is a facet one thats all i know, the engine is a 1.6 nova gte engine with weber t'40 carbs just looking for some advice on what to buy because i have no idea.

cheers

tom

tom_beverley
03-09-08, 03:21 PM
Facet red top fuel pump along with a fuel pressure regulator will be more than enough. Loads of them kicking about, about £60 (fuel pump) and £35 (FPR)new IIRC.

If you have a facet pump already you should only need to buy the pump itself and not the pump kit which should save you a few quid.

cooltom31
03-09-08, 03:29 PM
so is it just a case of fitting the new one in place of the old ones or do they not have settings or anything like that? i looked at the facet redtop ones on ebay and they said 200bhp+, would this matter as mines only running about 120?

cheers
tom

tom_beverley
03-09-08, 03:41 PM
Can you find out which one have you got now? All that will need to be done is fit pump to car (with the rubber fittings to eliminate noise/vibration) and connect fuel lines and live/earth wiring.

I think silver top ones are just as suitable but the majority of people stick a red top one in.

Neither have 'settings' as the fuel pressure to the carbs will be controlled by the fuel pressure regulator (if you don't have one, get one otherwise you will flood your carbs/engine).

craig green
03-09-08, 04:14 PM
They need to be mounted as per the instructions aswell. If they dry up of fuel supply due to poor siting, they will knacker out. Possibly why your old one is dead.

cooltom31
03-09-08, 10:46 PM
the old one has beeen running fine for years though and without a fuel pressure regulator the engine has never flooded. i cang find out which one is on the car because its in my mates garage but im sure i remember it having some kind of adjustment knob on it.

cooltom31
03-09-08, 10:54 PM
theres a picture of ther pump here http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74055&page=6

cooltom31
11-09-08, 12:42 PM
does anyone know how the car was running without a fuel pressure reg? what would happen if i just bought a new pump and tried to run it? i dont see how it could have been running fine for years but now i need a fpr?

cheers

tom

tom_beverley
11-09-08, 05:38 PM
Well it would have depended on what fuel pressure the old pump was kicking out. Ideally you want around 4psi fuel pressure, so sounds like the old pump must have been around that pressure.

The FPR will help to create a more consistant pressure and depending on what pump you've bought, you may now need one.