PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump/ignition problems?

d0gz_bollox
16-10-02, 09:39 AM
hello,

car problems, need to pick your brains;

engine is 2ltr 16v astra GTE engine

other night car cut out, culprit was a live yellow/black wire from ECU that had earthed out against ECU case. The fuel pump will not turn on when the ignition is turned so the car dies from fuel starvation shortly after starting (if starting at all)

got the old circuit test out last night, and heres what I found;

The fuel pump relay (as tested on mates car) works fine, all relays on fuse box where replaced, so these too work.

when ignition is off fuel pump wire (red/blue) on fuel pump relay recieves no power
when ignition is on fuel pump wire (red/blue) on fuel pump relay receives power
when ignition is on fuel pump wire (red/blue) above injectors (in the little black box) recieves power
when ignition is on fuel pump wire (thinner red/blue) at mulitplug connector (that joins to electrics loom - and goes to fuel pump fuse, onto fuel pump) receives NO power

If I run a wire from fuel pump wire on relay to the nova side multiplug fuel pump wire (red/blue) then the fuel pump works and the car starts up.

only thing is the fuel pump comes on when the ignition is on, it never used to do this before, with ignition was on previously, fuel pump didnt turn on until the engine was running. there is also a fiveish second delay when I turn the ignition off before the fuel pump turns off.

the car is idling really high (around 1300rpm), but idles constantly at that level.

coming back to the fuel pump wire at the multiplug connector that is showing no power, should this be a permant feed when the ignition is on (as currently bodged up to do) or does it turn its self on/off as needed? i.e is me running a wire from the relay directly to the fuel pump good practice or should it be functioning different?

Where does this thinner fuel pump wire come from? does it branch off from the one that goes from the fuel pump relay to the ecu is it an independant wire from the ECU.

Where does the yellow/black wire that goes from ECU go to, since this is the one that shorted against the ECU im thinking maybe this has broken somewhere.

Dicko
17-10-02, 12:03 AM
not sure on this 1, sounds like you have melted a wire or something.
when i fitted a 16v to my sr i just ran the red/blue wire direct off the fuel pump relay to the pump. it primed when the ignition was 1st turned on, and went off as soon as the ignition was turned off, and kept running whikle engine was runing. it all depends on what the ecu is telling it to do!

d0gz_bollox
17-10-02, 08:34 AM
yeah thats how mine works at the moment since I have joined the fuel pump to a ingition live on the relay. normaly though the fuel pump would only come on when the car was running.