PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me how to adjust my linkage?

Adam*D
02-09-08, 11:49 PM
I thought I had all my gears, and I do when the engine's not running! but when I'm driving I can only sometimes get 5th:mad: . I've heard about doing something with drill bits to accurately set up the linkage but don't knowhow:confused: any ideas?

Adam*D
02-09-08, 11:50 PM
oops! forgot to say F20 box

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 11:53 PM
have you choped the white plastic piece on the shifter

Adam*D
03-09-08, 12:05 AM
What white plastic bit mate? on the box linkage or in the car?. I fliped the white plastic bit round to make the linkage longer if you know what I mean!

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:19 AM
yeah if you take the rubber gater off in the car you will see a white plastic piece that hits the surround when going for 5th more so if it was a 4 speeder this can be trimmed for a farther throw the drill bit thing i think there is a whole big enough to insert a drill bit somewhere around where the linkage goes into the box you have to insert and wriggle linkage until you feel it go in a bit more this may not be 100% as i only heard of doing it this way once, but i got mine sorted with trial and error fit try adjust ect

Adam*D
03-09-08, 12:30 AM
Cheers! Do I remove this bit and chop, or is it fixed to the surround? what do you recomend to butcher it with?

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:35 AM
i used a kitchen knife lol one with jagged edges leave in in to do it (hack saw blade maybe) it is quite tight in there but you will notice the difference when done should do the trick if you can get 5th now n then.
p.s dont chop it all off.
you will get what needs doing when you see it

Adam*D
03-09-08, 12:44 AM
Thanks again mate! I've had to drive to and from work tonight 50 miles ish witout 5th!!!

Welsh Dan
03-09-08, 09:44 AM
Look on the selector turret on the box, there's a plastic bung fitted on the back edge of it, pull it out with pliers and put it somewhere safe. Manually put the box between 1st and 2nd, then put the chuck end of a 5mm drill bit into the hole the bung came out of, wiggle the selector around if it doesnt go straight in. Now go in the car and lift up the gaiter. There is a line on the chassis on the left hand side, line this up with the mark on the gearstick, have someone hold the stick there or use ducktape to fix it in place, now tighten up the pinch bolt and your gear selection should work perfectly.

Dod
03-09-08, 09:59 AM
Take the gear gaitor off the gear lever and look straight down at it. On the end of the lever is a white plastic thing the lever sits into, you'll see on the left the reason you need to push the lever down to get reverse. On the oppisate side of it, theres a square part, cut it out to give clearence so you can enguage 5th.

Adam*D
03-09-08, 11:29 AM
Just tried this cutting of the white plastic part and still can't get 5th. I'm going to try the drill bit method;)
Thanks for your help.

mikey14sr
03-09-08, 02:39 PM
The plastic block cutting is only needed when fitting a 5-speed box with a 4-speed shifter, the adjustment method is all explained in the haynes, just as what has been said above (don't forget to put the little bung back in the selector housing though, ep90 spewing all over the bulkhead isn't a nice thing).