PDA

View Full Version : banded steel wheels

stevie-p
01-09-08, 05:47 PM
have seen a few loons now with banded steel wheels on saw a mag with a description on how to do this but missed it
can any1 describe how or got any links that say

cheers

stevie-p
01-09-08, 06:01 PM
jus found a website they do banded steels roll and flare arches replace them etc etc for a resonable / cheap price check it out wide-wheels. co. uk

Graeme
01-09-08, 06:37 PM
They quoted me 380 pounds to band four steels (two with a 2" band and two with a 3" band). hardly what i would can reasonable and that didn't included collection/delivery or a final finish

Lynsey
01-09-08, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, think hard about this. I was going to get mine done but decided against it for a few reasons. Like Greame said, wide-wheels is very expensive. Just get some Cups or something instead :)

Rexy
01-09-08, 08:03 PM
It seems a lot of people want to do Banded steels at the moment, If you look oncorsasport.co.uk there are two sets for sale.

I didnt bother with them in the end due to costs... I refused to pay £500+ for a set of steel wheels.

Graeme
01-09-08, 11:18 PM
Rexy agreed,I paid fifty quid for a set of 14" sr steelies, 380 for banding, one hundred pounds for the original two tone paint from a local bodyshop and then two hundred quid for tyres to put on them, thats nearly two hundred pounds more than i've given for my brand new Alessio 2s with 195/40s, affectively just to have a set of wheels in completely the wrong offset and far to wide for any Nova to comfatably deal with and going on what John H said only to make your car handle like a sack of $hit

stevie-p
02-09-08, 02:22 AM
it all depends on what width u want um tho and if u want all 4 on 2's or 2 on 2's and 2 on 3's wide wheels dont cost much more if more at all than any other alloy depends on the width make and finish i got some ats classics im sure you no them look good and back in the day the mantas came with a set nearly the same on standard they got a lip not to sure about calling them deep dishes tho

Lynsey
02-09-08, 05:10 PM
I know they look ****ing awesome, I love them to bits and definately my favourite wheels. I'm just saying it ends up a dear do for wheels which are quite unusable. If you have the money, go for it :)

mayhem
02-09-08, 05:48 PM
the 'problem' (for you uk guys anyway.. ) is the offset.

i have a set of sr steelies. widend to 7.5j... that 2.5j more than original.. and gives them a offset of -1 instead of 49.

batesy
02-09-08, 06:00 PM
why dont you pay a welder off here to do i would do it for 30 pound a side like but you would have to post/drop off or pick them or what ever but easy enough to weld them

Pistol Pete
02-09-08, 06:56 PM
I cant weld for toffee, but i'm willing to bet this is a far from easy job. Hence why www.wide-wheels.co.uk (http://www.wide-wheels.co.uk) charge so much. Get the banding bit wrong and your wheels will be out of balance, car will handle like crap... If i was getting some done, and i'm thinking about it, i'd happily pay wide wheels to do it!

batesy
02-09-08, 07:53 PM
which is why a said seems easy wont be like but imo i think if you make a good enough jig you could do it, ... where i work we weld stainless steel rings that get spun together then magnetized which form the main magnet for a ct scanner these are hard to weld with tig and have to be spot on no twisting or feck all or they end up goosed and at a 3,500 a piece then could prove quite costly if some thing where to go wrong

Pistol Pete
02-09-08, 08:00 PM
My post wasnt aimed at you i was just saying in general terms this is a far from an easy job. If you had the right gear, from the sounds of it your workplace might do, then yeah could always mock some up see what happens.

Benn
02-09-08, 09:39 PM
Really any engineeging compney should be able to make a banded rim.
That should be a much cheaper way of doing it.

I want a set, but i only really want a bigger lip added for more dish.

stevie-p
02-09-08, 11:19 PM
ye i was thinking about all that my dad could do it but id be much happier driving down the motorway knowing they were done properly not saying you cant or w.e but its a bit more reassurance and ye thinking about it for a 1 inch band on all four 300quid is quite pricey but im gunna keep looking into it see what happens i suppose show use only and i definatly would not wanna mount a curb lol

batesy
03-09-08, 01:19 AM
looking at pictures on another site where some one has them basically the way the company do it is they have a jig set up in place then all that happens then is they either grind the original lip of the steelie then add an extension for a dish as in like a butt weld or they will cut the wheel in half and butt weld a piece in pure and simple as that the hardest part about it would be the jig could most likely do these in my sleep not sounded to big headed but i do tig pipe welding at work and pretty much is the same but you will have to control the heat in the wheel so that it doesnt disstort and wreck it

burgo
03-09-08, 02:24 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94927 ;) i saw these at the rolling road day and was extrememly impressed

Rexy
03-09-08, 08:12 AM
**** Banded.... You want Inverted :P

Chop the middle out, Turn it around and reweld it back togeather... Granted there will only be a few select wheels you can do this with.... IE Tigra 15" spares will work ;) and yes i have one in my bathroom so you can guess what i think about while Taking the kids to the pool ....

:D lol

Dod
03-09-08, 09:35 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now as well. I ground back and flaired the arches on my SX way back to clear 7"j and ET40 16" Wheels which was sucessful but now I wanna go back to the origional SX Steels but the car looks like its got rickets (sp)

So I'm going to fit a set of spacers to bring them out a LOT and try 195 tyres but ideally I'd love a set of widened wheels, but realisiticially, the price ruins the whole thing.

Also, when widening the wheels, would it not be worth adding an inch to the inside and an inch to the outside, cost more and more work required but they should fit with few arch mods.