PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil leak

pob
01-09-08, 05:36 PM
F13 gearbox

After driving the car there is always oil lying on the top of the gearbox just to the right of where the rods go into the top of the gearbox.

There does not appear to be a gasket between the aluminium faces of the "rod housing?" and the main gearbox nor does there appear to be any sealant of any sort.

Common fault?? did a search but as always couldn't find anything.
(No doubt somebody will call me a "noob" and find a link within 30 seconds)

tom_beverley
01-09-08, 05:58 PM
There should be a gasket between the casing and selector housing, has the gearbox been dismantled previously?

Are you sure its gearbox oil and not engine oil running down from the cam housing/rocker cover area instead? Maybe distributor oil seal?

mikey14sr
01-09-08, 06:06 PM
As above, plus the breather vent is on the top of the selector housing, so if there's too much oil in the box it will come out of that while driving too.

pob
01-09-08, 07:18 PM
If defo thick red gearbox oil.

How much oil is supposed to be in the gearbox?
I dont have a haynes manual, so I asked a Vauxhall mechanic how much to put in whenever I was in buying a few other bits.

They told me 3L - there was less than 1.5L when I drained it out.
Maybe theres an extra litre hidden somewhere and I've got 4L in it and it blowing out the excess.
I would put a picture up for you, but I dont have enough posts.
(I did go to the test area and put 10 extra posts in; then got banned for a week :confused: )

tom_beverley
01-09-08, 07:56 PM
On behalf on Pob...

Yes there should be a gasket between those, but I've never come across it leaking from there before... Has the gearbox been apart and someone forgot to replace the gasket/use sealer?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/pobpob/oilleak.jpg

PS: Pob, the reason you probably got banned is that you can't just spam 15 posts, they have to be useful/informative/constructive posts

Welsh Dan
01-09-08, 07:59 PM
Is the blanking plug in there, the one that fills the hole used for linkage allignment?

pob
01-09-08, 08:11 PM
Yes the plug is in.

Cant vouch for who did what to the engine, but there isn't a gasket in there.
So I'll go and put one in!!

Thank you all.

mowgli
01-09-08, 09:23 PM
it sounds like too much oil to me

mikey14sr
03-09-08, 03:02 PM
See the red dot?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/mickyd79/strip-down/13052008001.jpg

That's where the level bung is!

Adam
03-09-08, 04:16 PM
When i forgot fit the selector fork housing gasket to my f13, it pissed box oil out as soon as it got hot(and thinner), so yup you will deffo get a leak from there.