PDA

View Full Version : How to scrap a car?

Welsh Dan
01-09-08, 05:07 PM
I've decided to break and scrap my car. I found another hole in it, in the drivers side rear wheelarch this time, after some poking I found that the chassis leg is rotten by the rear beam pivot. Unfortunately I've just taxed it. Is it possible to drive the car to the scrapyard, get it weighed in then get the tax back, or would I have to get the tax back and SORN it, then trailer it there?

It breaks my heart to do this, we've had this car since I was about 10 :cry:.

Adam
01-09-08, 05:10 PM
Drive it to the scrappy, then remove your tax disc when your there.
Send that back to dvla.

Fill the logbook in as scrapped

Welsh Dan
01-09-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks Adam.

http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/deathrot1.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/deathrot2.jpg

Adam
01-09-08, 05:13 PM
Fixable, if you really wanted to keep the car....

Spudly
01-09-08, 05:13 PM
Weld it up mate nothing is irreperable andy has drilled that into me recently lol

But if you really want to do it just drive the car to wherever it needs to be and take the tax disc out when you get there, then either surrender it with the appropriate paperwork (which you will find) at your local dvla office, or download or get the paperwork from a post office and send it off to claim tax back, to scrap it is just a box to tick on the V5 and send off to dvla iirc!

Welsh Dan
01-09-08, 05:22 PM
I know its fixable, but as its my daily driver I'm fed up of regular large maintenance bills. I've signed the paperwork for an 05 plate 2.0TDCI Mondeo, and as soon as I've got the disposable cash for a project, I'll have another Nova without a doubt.

I was quoted £250 to have that repaired, which is on top of about another £1500 in repairs over the last 18 months. Its needed lots of welding, new copper brake lines, new shocks, engine etc..

The shell holds a lot of sentimental value for me, I just can't afford to keep patching it up.

Iain
01-09-08, 05:24 PM
If you have the space you could SORN it and keep it until you have the money/time/motivation to fix it.

Or as said, as it's still road legal drive it to the scrapyard, give/sell it to them and reclaim the tax back.

Welsh Dan
01-09-08, 05:26 PM
I havent got the space, I live with my parents and they'd complain a lot.

Spudly
01-09-08, 05:53 PM
I havent got the space, I live with my parents and they'd complain a lot.

Snap but they will calm down eventually hence why a black GTE has just appeared alongside my cav lol

Martin
01-09-08, 05:55 PM
I'm having to do the same thing, Got scrap my hatch ^his old one. to make room for the new car coming..doesnt need alot of work but it need welding, and nobody buys a gcar that needs welding nowadays

Ernie
02-09-08, 09:12 AM
Fix it as you know you will miss it once its gone.

Dod
02-09-08, 10:00 AM
Mate, buy a decent shell and rebuild. Or just break your car and have a scrap man collect the bare shell. You'd definately be surprised at all the parts you'll be able to sell.

paul james
02-09-08, 10:44 AM
Buy a mig welder, learn to use it. If you plan on having another Nova in the future, it will be a used skill. What better way to practice welding than on a car that needs lots of welding. Whoever welded up the sill in that picture didn't do a very good job, no use paying someone good money to do a quick job when you could do it properly.

Oh and if insist on scrapping, strip the car of anything remotely good first.

L14MNP
02-09-08, 10:46 AM
Keep it taxed, just park it on the road, at a mates etc. Surely there is somewhere you can store it. If you leave the tax on then you have more options.
If it has sentimental value that's what I would be doing.

Spudly
02-09-08, 11:07 AM
Keep it taxed, just park it on the road, at a mates etc. Surely there is somewhere you can store it. If you leave the tax on then you have more options.
If it has sentimental value that's what I would be doing.

Has to be insured aswell though as its now an offence to have an uninsured car on the road, found that out when my mates taxed and mot`d ax gt got stolen, the coppers asked where it was taken from and he replied the parking bay outside my house and they were like "oh really, but its not insured blah blah"

L14MNP
02-09-08, 11:17 AM
Technically true mate, all I as saying is if you find a nice quiet place then you won't get any bother. The type of area the police/thieves don't usually patrol lol. I know where you're coming from though dude :thumb:

brainsnova
02-09-08, 11:44 AM
sweet talk your parents and buy them something nice :D

Welsh Dan
02-09-08, 11:46 AM
The more I think about it the more I believe I've done the right thing. The old girl has served us well, but the chassis needs regular attention and I just don't have the time/cash/experience to do it. I'll definately be getting another nova, just not yet.

brainsnova
02-09-08, 11:49 AM
strip of the good bits and scrap the rest:thumb:

dj_wudgey
02-09-08, 12:04 PM
Snap but they will calm down eventually hence why a black GTE has just appeared alongside my cav lol

yea my sr's have allways had the drive since well my first car and the gte was supost to be under the front window of the house for 3 months 3 years later shes still there and the moaning stoped 2 years ago. recently i said i may break it and they said not now its been there that long your keeping it nowlol

L14MNP
02-09-08, 12:22 PM
I still have my first car in the parents garage, Owned it for 8 years and has been there four years now lol. She will see the road - one day. First cars are hard to let go of, was your Nova your first car Dan?

Lauren
02-09-08, 01:37 PM
Why don't you go onto that webuyanycar.com?
The absolute minimum you will get is £50, but £50 is better than nothing. And they will come and pick it up.

L14MNP
02-09-08, 01:43 PM
They won't take it if he strips it though surely? I haven't been on that site but sounds like one of the ones where you buy one of their cars and in turn they give you a 'great price' on you old one. I will check it now.

Strip/sell/weigh (the car that is) :thumb:

*checked. Whatever price they give you it will be worth more on eBay/yellow paper or forums etc, but agreed it's a no hassle thing :)

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 01:56 PM
if you were not so far away i would gladley have it but with transport fees ect
it would equate to more than the value in it's curent state,
i would gladley take on any repairs, too many nova's that have been a pride and joy get scrapped

L14MNP
02-09-08, 01:59 PM
too many nova's that have been a pride and joy get scrapped

I rescued my SR, wasn't my pride and joy just my daily drive. Sold it to my mate and he hacked it up and scrapped it.

Lauren
02-09-08, 02:03 PM
[quote=L14MNP]They won't take it if he strips it though surely? I haven't been on that site but sounds like one of the ones where you buy one of their cars and in turn they give you a 'great price' on you old one. I will check it now.
/quote]

No it's not like that, they don't sell cars as far as I know, they will just buy any one. I don't even think it matters so much if he strips it as long as it's driveable, I got a quote on my nova with it in the state its in now, and they offered me £175. I guess they just make their money from selling on the parts. :confused:

Welsh Dan
02-09-08, 02:06 PM
I still have my first car in the parents garage, Owned it for 8 years and has been there four years now lol. She will see the road - one day. First cars are hard to let go of, was your Nova your first car Dan?

Yes it is my first car, and mum had it since I was about 11 (I'm 23 now).

if you were not so far away i would gladley have it but with transport fees ect
it would equate to more than the value in it's curent state,
i would gladley take on any repairs, too many nova's that have been a pride and joy get scrapped

Its taxed, tested and insured in my name and has enough fuel in it to get to stoke. I need to get the windscreens swapped over, but other than that I'd bring it to you for the right price. I'd be looking for about £150 for the car and whats left of the spares collection, but if you're interested we'd better take this to my for sale thread :).

L14MNP
02-09-08, 02:06 PM
Cool. No-one could complain at that :)

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 02:22 PM
i'll take it on way to for sale thread>>>>

L14MNP
02-09-08, 02:23 PM
i'll take it on way to for sale thread>>>>

Oi, what about your Beetle? lol

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 02:24 PM
sold/\it

L14MNP
02-09-08, 02:25 PM
Ah no way :(

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 02:28 PM
yep it's now shal we say a light weight,
it's being used for a trike project the inlaws brought it after the mrs once again lost interest

L14MNP
02-09-08, 02:30 PM
Ah well, never mind! There's too many type 1's end up as trikes for my liking lol.
How could she lose interest when you were doing the graft? Should have told her to zip it and wait until it's finished, or kept/sold it for yourself mate!

just vaux trev
02-09-08, 02:36 PM
when it was her car it was ok to spend on it but if i had kept it she would have moaned about it bought a 5 door nova yesterday too and she did'nt know about it so this will be red, top 5 door, crosser, quad in the garage and silky, xr2i 16v and this one on the drive best get the welder out