PDA

View Full Version : possible carb / head upgrades

jimbob-mcgrew
29-08-08, 10:36 PM
ive got a standard 1.2 on a pierburg 1 carb, have access to some parts from a 1.4 carb:- head, inlet, pierburg 2, dizzy & coil. someone gave me the idea that i should put the 1.4 inlet and carb onto the 1.2, but then i mentioned about the square ports, then he said i should grind out the ports to match the inlet to head, can this be done i wonder, as the square ports are long and thin arent they ? also im guessing the valves are bigger on the 1.4 head, how much would it cost me to get it skimmed to bring back the compression ratio, i might use the whole lot if its worth while ? also, would i benefit from using the c.b dizzy and coil compared to the breakerless ignition ive currently got on the 1.2 ? what do you guys think. cheers for any replys.

Welsh Dan
29-08-08, 11:03 PM
I'd fit the 1.4 cam, ignition and carb, but use a 1.3 inlet as it'll have the right ports on both ends.

Do you use the stock 1.2 exhaust manifold and downpipe? If so fit the 1.4 items aswell if you can.

jimbob-mcgrew
29-08-08, 11:22 PM
cheers dan :thumb:, head not worth bothering with is it ? on the exhaust front.. yeh standard manifold at the mo.. but i have a better 4-1 kicking about thats going on in future. about the cam, i think its abit worn, but hopefully not too bad, still worth doing ? and are they easy to change, can i just slide the 1.2 out and slide 1.4 in. bar gaskets and a cam belt, do i need anything else for the conversion ? one more thing i forgot, the pierburg 2 has an auto choke which i dont want, will the manual choke gubbins of my pierburg 1 fit on it ?

Welsh Dan
30-08-08, 02:42 PM
It is possible to fit a manual choke to the 2e3 as far as I can remember. The head has marginally bigger valves iirc, but the tiny ports negate any benefits. A worn 1.4 cam will be better than an equally worn 1.2 cam, it just depends on how worn they both are - get the vernier caliper out. You can slide one cam in and one out, Adam did a guide in the tutorials section iirc.

You may aswell change the waterpump aswell if you're changing the cambelt.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-08-08, 05:26 PM
thanks man, been helpfull :)