PDA

View Full Version : i thought my car was healthy!!

nova1.2L
14-10-02, 02:48 PM
Sorry everyone but I have another mysterious sound coming from my car!Sometimes when i reverse, i hear a clunking noise(like ive hit the curb)but im nowhere near the curb!!anyone else ever had this prob?

Coz if someone else has had the same prob and its nothing tp wprry about then i wont waste money getting it checked out :) sorry im asking questions all the time

Chris LR
14-10-02, 04:16 PM
Sometimes when it isn't fully in reverse it makes a wierd kind of noise, but I wouldn't describe it as 'clunking' more 'soft tapping'

ade
14-10-02, 06:47 PM
does the clunk come from the front or the rear?

If rear, have a look under the car to see if anything is catching the wheels - then again this would prob happen in fwd also.

If from front but in the middle somewhere could be the gearbox - when reverse is selected not in or worn (unsure though)

Ade
:|

nova1.2L
15-10-02, 12:05 PM
it sounds like its from the left rear wheel arch, ity happens when im reversing and as i stop the clunking noise happens.

I hope no1s fed up with me yet!I just want it all to be running ok b4 i do anything to it :D

Chris LR
15-10-02, 10:07 PM
My only thought is a little far fetched.

My car makes a clunking noise when in reverse but it's quite normal and doesn't come from the left rear arch.

Becasue Reverse is the lowest gear you need to make sure that you have the clutch just right, if you have it in just enough the enigine/clutch will make a clunking noise becasue it's on the verge of stalling. I sometimes can't get into reverse if I haven't put the cluth to the floor before changing..

concoursNeil
15-10-02, 10:17 PM
Can you feel it thro the brake pedal?
You may find its from the front end and could possibly be a worn Cv joint .
Not sayin for def tho!

Manta Mad
15-10-02, 10:23 PM
It might be a bit of wear in the brake shoes, as the wheels are going forwards 99.9% of the time and the brakes applied this way, the shoes can wear unevenly causing more friction material at one end of the shoe than the other. When the car is in reverse, the area with more friction material catches on the drum causing the noise.

Might be something else but worth checking out.

mowgli
15-10-02, 10:34 PM
I had the same sort of noise from the rear of my car once, the rear brakes got a good clean up and it stopped.

Only panic when it stops making the noise.

Cheers mowgli

nova1.2L
21-10-02, 10:26 AM
it did it almost everytime i reversed for a few days and now its stopped!!!ahhhh.

sorry to bother everone with this but i dont want to get ripped off by a garage

Nova-Boy
23-10-02, 03:32 PM
My dads saab does the same thing. It is to do with the brakes taking up the slack. When going forward the drums slack is taken up by the wheels going forward. when going in reverse and put the brakes on the wheels drag the brakes slack towards the back. the noise is the brakes taking up the slack and stopping. (I think). :?

Or i could be talking rubbish.

But if it doesn't sound too bad it could be this and its not a problem. Some do it some dont.