PDA

View Full Version : History of nova questions ?

LEWI007
28-08-08, 11:01 PM
Which country designed the Vauxhall Nova / Opel Corsa A ?

Which country made vauxhall nova's ? was it spain ?

Which country made Opel Corsa's ?

Which country made the Nova SPORT ?

Which country designed the Nova SPORT ?

why is there an OPEL and a Vauxhall and theyre called corsa and nova why didnt they just call it vauxhall nova everywhere ?

Was the Nova Sport a 1.3 with 150 HP ? (heard this somewhere :confused:) *CONFIRMED NO*

Please answer if you can
Me and a friend were discussing this and im just not really sure what the score is so to get PROPER answers i ask at the one and only PNG !! :thumb:

Andy
28-08-08, 11:03 PM
I know a couple of answers,Nova means "slow" in spain so they decided corsa
The sport didnt have 150hp dont know where you have heard that lol

LEWI007
28-08-08, 11:05 PM
So why did they call half of them nova and half corsa ?

Spudly
28-08-08, 11:05 PM
I know a couple of answers,Nova means "slow" in spain so they decided corsa

Apparently this is just an urban legend to put the nova down as usual lol

LEWI007
28-08-08, 11:06 PM
I think nova means NO GO in spanish ?

Andy
28-08-08, 11:07 PM
No its true,ive read it somewhere before

Andy
28-08-08, 11:08 PM
Thats it no go/slow

LEWI007
28-08-08, 11:08 PM
What about the other questions ? someone must have answers

novacabrio
28-08-08, 11:11 PM
Which country designed the Vauxhall Nova / Opel Corsa A ? Germans I'd guess?

Which country made vauxhall nova's ? was it spain ? Zarangoza in spain,

Which country made Opel Corsa's ? As above

Which country made the Nova SPORT ? As above but Vauxhall chucked a box of bits in the boot at the port, box contained the important bits

Which country designed the Nova SPORT ? Vauxhall came up with the concept, so England, Designed for Rally Homologation. Andrew Durden is regarded as the Father of the Sport

why is there an OPEL and a Vauxhall and theyre called corsa and nova why didnt they just call it vauxhall nova everywhere ? They didnt want to?

Was the Nova Sport a 1.3 with 150 HP ? (heard this somewhere :confused:) Not to my knowledge, although the Corsa Sprint (Europes Nova Sport if you like) had more power with Irmscher injection

God know what questions you'd come up with if you used the search button!

Try www.opel-corsa-a.com

Spudly
28-08-08, 11:12 PM
Thats it no go/slow

Ive also heard that but apparently it doesnt mean no go i asked someone who spoke a little spanish a few years back and it doesnt mean anything in spanish iirc!

mayhem
28-08-08, 11:19 PM
Which country designed the Vauxhall Nova / Opel Corsa A ?
-opel.. so germany

Which country made vauxhall nova's ? was it spain ?
-zaragossa, spain

Which country made Opel Corsa's ?
-same as above

Which country made the Nova SPORT ?
??

Which country designed the Nova SPORT ?
??

why is there an OPEL and a Vauxhall and theyre called corsa and nova why didnt they just call it vauxhall nova everywhere ?
-you have vaux, i have opel (like the rest of europe), australia has holden.
guess some vaux dude decided to sell it as a nova.

Was the Nova Sport a 1.3 with 150 HP ? (heard this somewhere :confused:) *CONFIRMED NO*

Ste L
28-08-08, 11:19 PM
Nova = Nova in Spanish..

No Va (2 words) = No Go, in Spanish...

as mark said, it's called the corsa in other country's just becuase... tis the same as the Cavalier/Vectra, Carlton/Omega, Astra/Kadett

LEWI007
28-08-08, 11:20 PM
Thank you alot for those answers mate also i heard that Andrew durden has a list of all the nova sport chassis numbers why wont he release the list ? i mean if anything should happen to him we'd never be able to identify whats a real genuine sport and what isnt ?

tom_beverley
29-08-08, 03:18 PM
Thank you alot for those answers mate also i heard that Andrew durden has a list of all the nova sport chassis numbers why wont he release the list ? i mean if anything should happen to him we'd never be able to identify whats a real genuine sport and what isnt ?

The first reason that springs to my mind is the risk of ringing.

craig green
29-08-08, 04:25 PM
Andrew durden has a list of all the nova sport chassis numbers why wont he release the list ? i mean if anything should happen to him we'd never be able to identify whats a real genuine sport and what isnt ?

Its not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

As for the design of the Nova. Its likely that most European countries' design team had a hand in its development. The UK was a large market for small hatch backs & GM set out to rival the Fiesta as the Novas main competition, seeing as the UK was the Fiestas largest market, I'd assume much of the development was carried out by Vauxhall UK. Rumour has it some early cars (Y reg) were UK built. Not sure how true that is....

Sports were Spanish the same as the rest, Vauxhall ordered tham with parts deleted from the spec & the stickers were applied at Portbury (bristol) docks, the Webers etc were all dumped in the boot (or fitted) at the dealership upon sale.

:thumb:

Mike
29-08-08, 04:30 PM
A fact which i garantee none of will know...

Alexander Wilson founded the company in Vauxhall, London in 1857. It was originally named Alex Wilson and Company, then changed to Vauxhall Iron Works where the company used to build pumps and marine engines.

In 1903 the company built its first car, a five-horsepower model steered using a tiller, with two forward gears and no reverse gear :thumb:

Jack
29-08-08, 04:31 PM
Technically, an American designed the Corsa; Wane Cherry was dispatched to Vauxhall by GM in 1965, and was promoted to director of design at Russelsheim in 1983. Its he that decreed Opel and Vauxhall should share the same models (albeit with different names).

I've heard that the reason why the Vauxhall name is used in the UK dates back to the post WW2-era. GM decided that dropping the British Vauxhall name in favour of the German Opel branding wouldn't bode well for sales, considering the German's recent actions. So Vauxhall remained.

Jack
29-08-08, 04:32 PM
Whilst we're on the subject of random Vauxhall facts; car production was suspended during WW2 so the factories could churn our Churchill tanks.

nova_saloon
29-08-08, 04:32 PM

No im afraid Nova is just a name and in spanish its mean Nova but where people get mixed up is that no va as in nova with a space in the middle means in spanish 'it will not'.
so yes easy mistake but its no urban legend.

twistysnovagte
29-08-08, 07:56 PM
A fact which i garantee none of will know...

Alexander Wilson founded the company in Vauxhall, London in 1857. It was originally named Alex Wilson and Company, then changed to Vauxhall Iron Works where the company used to build pumps and marine engines.

In 1903 the company built its first car, a five-horsepower model steered using a tiller, with two forward gears and no reverse gear :thumb:mike thats so true ive read about this recently on a website about the history of vauxhall and its the same as youve spoke spot on:thumb:

Jack
29-08-08, 08:23 PM
In 1903 the company built its first car, a five-horsepower model steered using a tiller, with two forward gears and no reverse gear :thumb:
But I bet it didn't rust

Novasport
29-08-08, 10:11 PM
Sports were Spanish the same as the rest, Vauxhall ordered tham with parts deleted from the spec & the stickers were applied at Portbury (bristol) docks, the Webers etc were all dumped in the boot (or fitted) at the dealership upon sale.

:thumb:

The decals were not fitted at the docks, they were done at the dealership. Remember the cars would have arrived in pod wax and they would not risk damaging the decals delivering the cars.
Only the trial decals were fitted at the docks to compare the designs.

The Sport carb kit could not be fitted until the car was registered to avoid the cars having to go through type approval.
This also goes some way to explain why there was only 417 Sports built as the remainder were made up with kits supplied to already registered Novas, mainly rally cars I would have thought.
They actually missed the homologation deadline and incurred big fines iirc

no va as in nova with a space in the middle means in spanish 'it will not'.

That is correct, it means will not.

LEWI007
29-08-08, 11:25 PM
Theres 417 "REGISTERED" on papers as sports ?

Novasport
30-08-08, 01:48 PM
Theres 417 "REGISTERED" on papers as sports ?

There was originally 417 on Andrew Deurdens manifest, obviously rallying, rust and over enthusiastic driving has reduced that amount somewhat.
We all know of roughly 20 odd Sports kicking round still but the could be a few more out there still undiscovered. They are easily overlooked as a Sport if the graphics have been removed so a lot of people do not know what they are.

DAN-F
30-08-08, 03:21 PM
is there a list of chassis numbers/number plates of the gen sports available anywhere

Novasport
30-08-08, 08:54 PM
Andrew Deurden has it. He will not let anyone have it either, I have asked.

LEWI007
30-08-08, 08:58 PM
Would be pretty hard to find the rest of the novas without decals and stuff...

craig green
31-08-08, 02:06 PM
Andrew Duerden sounds like a co(k!

I saw an old gimmer & his wife in a rusty Sport in a carpark some years ago, The chap really didnt look like he knew what he had or that he gave a funk about it. Rusty arches & so on. Was a Sport though.

LEWI007
31-08-08, 03:48 PM
Andrew Duerden sounds like a co(k!

I saw an old gimmer & his wife in a rusty Sport in a carpark some years ago, The chap really didnt look like he knew what he had or that he gave a funk about it. Rusty arches & so on. Was a Sport though.
Sounds to me like he just doesnt deserve it :(

when there's people out there like me that would KILL to have a sport

craig green
31-08-08, 04:07 PM
A D is the guy that worked for Vauxhall & was behind the commissioning of the Sport as a model. I just fail to see what he has to gain by withholding the info from enthusiasts.

mowgli
31-08-08, 04:18 PM
RIGHT, the real reason the nova was not called the corsa in britain.

http://specs.amayama.com/toyota/corsa/1982_0/photo/

there was already a car called the corsa, made by toyota that could have been sold over here, so they called it the nova, which has never, ever translated as no go in spanish.... the chevy nova was sold in latin america for decades with no such crap jokes.

by the time the corsa-b came out, the toyota corsa was a long gone distant memory.............

About the sport..... there were loads of normal novas being thrashed about in the british motorsport scene in the early eighties, mostly thanks to the Astra/Nova challenge being a fantastically popular one make series run within the british rally championship. lots of cars were converted to sport spec, considering all it really was just a 1300 with a big cam & twin webers. so the actual chassis numbers were pretty much irrelevant, especially considering Colin McRae rolled his 'first car' at least once, a genuine sport was pretty much a base model 1.3 with a brown interior & a 2 speed fan. and it was sold as a b or a c reg. which makes them all at least 22 years old.

As for the decals, I have never seen a proper rally nova sport with the decals, because they were always covered in sponsors decals, only the roadgoing ones had the decals