PDA

View Full Version : Missin' now n then

bob
13-10-02, 06:30 PM
:( my 1400(carbed) is missing every now n then, and sometimes it decides it only wants to run on 3, I fiddle the rotor arm a lil,and wobble the leads,n that sometimes works,or sometimes leaving the car to stand engine off for 5 mins works, wots wrong peeps??? no obvious signs!

Anton
13-10-02, 06:36 PM
Mine did that when I first got it, mk2 1.2 carb, I just changed the rotor arm and plugs then it was fine. I think it probably got water in there from when the engine bay was steam cleaned. Have you checked there is no water or gunky crap with the spark plugs?

fo0q
13-10-02, 07:55 PM
CHECK THE GAPS ON THE SPARK PLUGS, SOMETIMES THIS CAUSES THE ENGINE TO MISFIRE ONLY WHEN UR GOING FAST AND RUNS FINE WHEN GOING SLOW OR IDLING.

TAKE THEM OUT ONE AT A TIME AND CHECK THAT THEY ARE ABOUT 0.8MM

U NEVER KNOW.. THE BLOKE WHO PUTS THE PLUGS IN THE BOX AT THE FACTORY COULDA BEEN HAVE IN A BAD DAY AND KNOCKED THE PLUG ON A TABLE TO KNACKER UP THE ELECTRODE GAP

THIS IS WOT THE TEACHER TOLD ME IN COLLEGE

Stuart
14-10-02, 01:13 AM
i would expect (and hope) that in this day and age that spark plugs are put in their boxes by machine. also you dont just fit them without "gapping" them first, its 0.7mm and maybe a bit less with higher comp ratios.

Dicko
14-10-02, 11:53 AM
its probably the leads mate. if it was the plugs it would run badly but not as uv described.
fit new leads and c how it goes.

dikharvey
15-10-02, 09:29 AM
Mines doing the same thing. I think mine is the distributor cap, i am changing mine soon let you know if it fixes it.

bob
15-10-02, 10:49 AM
changed leads,and its better,but still not perfect,will change dizzy cap,plugs and rotor arm later today hopefully-was trying to keep me pennies as I got a gte lump conversion looming-still-best to keep this engine healthy,will sell better :) anyone gonna be wanting decent 1400SR lump runnin an f10 gearbox and full zorst system excluding backbox? it will all be there,carb everything,cept back box!

Anton
15-10-02, 01:15 PM
I am very interested :D How much?