PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Wobble

hendrix
27-08-08, 01:56 PM
right its not on the nova but on the coupe but I figure a cars a car and all taht
Bit of a strange one...
Its only started doing it since I changed the tyres to 205/40/17 from 215/40/17
When driving the car upto 60mph its fine then the wheels start to wobble more and more the faster you go. First it felt like balancing but I've had that re-done twice. Then changed the two front tyres again and still it wobbles. Its really uncomfortable when driving, enough to shake your fillings out.
Any ideas??
Tracking??

meritlover
27-08-08, 01:59 PM
tracking, ball-joint, rack, track rod end, or another worn suspension component.
jack it up and give everything a shake.

Spudly
27-08-08, 02:18 PM
Is this the disastra again sell the damn thing and finish your nova you raving ghey!

But yeh as said id check bottom arms and balljoints as theyre the main ones that will have been disturbed!

hendrix
27-08-08, 02:22 PM
cheers for the replies guys.
I've also noticed when I go over the bump at the top of my road you can hear the front squeeking, so maybe bushes?
Will have the wheels off and see whats what.
Thanks

Spudly
27-08-08, 02:53 PM
Could also be arb droplink bushes if its doing it on there as mine in the cav are coming up for replacement and last time it went over that lump in your street it made that swooshy sqeak type noise lol

Stuart
27-08-08, 03:47 PM
I changed my brake discs and refitted the wheels a while back and it wobbled about like mad... I then took the wheels off, rotated them round a hole and refitted... wobble way way way less. Tyres balanced up fine etc.

I think there is an element of the whole setup needing to be balanced with some wheels/tyres etc. Also bigger tyres can cause other suspension deficiencies to be highlighted.

mowgli
27-08-08, 04:11 PM
from my experience with astras, the vertical lower arm bushes are made of marshmallow & should be changed yearly, & the front springs have a habit of snapping their ends off, get it aligned

Stuart
27-08-08, 04:16 PM
the rear springs are the ones that tend to snap on MK4's lol

phazer
27-08-08, 05:08 PM
Yeah, had that happen on my old 2.2. Realised once I'd fixed it that they do handle quite well lol