PDA

View Full Version : short term policies for modded cars

Clean 2.0 nova
25-08-08, 04:11 PM
Does any one know of any insurance companies that offer insurance for a short term on modified vehicles.

I paid around £400 last year for a 2.0 litre nova that was off the road for approx 5 months during winter and covered about 1,800 miles (most of the mileage was just trying to get some use out of the car to justify the insurance). I have found I could insure a standard nova GSI for £25 for 1 day so if a 2.0litre was say £40 for each outing I would be happy. Alternatively if I could insure the car for a few months at a time for reasonable money I would be happy. When I looked at cancelling with brentacre over the winter the cancellation charges were too much. Maybe there is an insurance company that covers modified cars with no cancellation costs.

Anyone got any suggestions, or do I just trailer the nova to any shows for the hire cost of a trailer - or sell up:confused:

Andy
25-08-08, 07:22 PM
Trailering it everywhere defeats the object of having a powerful car like that imo.Also having to pay to hire a trailer,or buying a trailer will eventually add up to more than your existing insurance would be.What about a traders policy???

Clean 2.0 nova
25-08-08, 07:45 PM
I initially thought the traders policies were an o.k. price to cover my three cars, but turns out I'd be paying about £2000 total. Hiring a trailer would not be as much as insuring the car - they would both be ongoing costs. I could buy a trailer and leave the car on it in the garage I suppose.

I'm considering selling due to the lack of local events / usage. The insurance is run out for this year so may not bother renewing this year.

Andy
25-08-08, 07:50 PM
£2000? whos that with? Thats expensive is that.A mate of mine started up his business at 21 and didnt pay as much as that the 1st time he took out a traders policy.I think he is with tradex.
Yeah i know what you mean about the local side of things,its pretty poor tbh to say theres a fair few of us in the area.

Riggy
25-08-08, 08:07 PM
99% of trade policys dont cover modyfied cars though if you read the small print

Clean 2.0 nova
25-08-08, 09:21 PM
I think it was the fact that I wanted a modified vehicle on the policy that narrowed the number of underwriters and hence pushed up the price.