PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension Mashing up Tyres

gtachorley
24-08-08, 12:48 PM
Just fitted cheap Ebay TA Tecniks (skint after respray they are short term) coilovers got a slight smell of rubber on driving round on em and noticed they were rubbing on the front tyre, so fitted spacers my dad had lying about (off a 50 year old Morris Minor but fitted!) this seemed to solve it.

Last night got in from work and the suspension is still catching and is putting a groove in the back of the tyre, wierd thing is on looking closer noticed one wheel is closer to the arch and this is the one that catches???!

Am gonna get it up on jacks today and try to shed light on the problem, have a few ideas for what might have gone wrong but it gonna be trail and error lol.

Anyone had owt similar or got any ideas

Cheers for ANY help

Rory
:thumb:

Benn
24-08-08, 12:52 PM
I bet they have a helper spring in yeah?
If so remove it, then the platform will sit above the tyre and wont rub.

gtachorley
24-08-08, 01:07 PM
Just spotted one wheel is super close to the arch (not catching on suspension) and one is futher under the car away from the arch (this catches on the suspension) any ideas why this is?

gtachorley
24-08-08, 01:13 PM
Helper Spring?

mowgli
26-08-08, 12:54 AM
I would imagine that you've got massive wheels & the car really needs aligning at a tyre place

craig green
26-08-08, 01:07 PM
Is it dropped as low as it will go?

I bet the camber needs sorting due to how low it is & the back of the tyre hits the spring or spring platform due to the ride height &/or the helper spring being in the way. With normal 14" Nova wheels it wouldnt rub (no help I know).

ck
31-08-08, 03:53 AM
the top bolt holes on your suspension are most probably slotted to allow for some camber adjustment. to start with you want to loosen the bolts off and pull the hub/strut towards you anhd then re-tighten the bolts. this will give more clearance from the tyre/strut. or you can try somewher ein between to get a rough camber set up

Rexy
31-08-08, 08:31 AM
lmfbo.... my mates corsa had the same problem we used a 3mm spacer job done. the wheel was rubbing on the spring smelly smelly.

valverguy
01-09-08, 04:52 PM
step one. Remove huge wheels
step two replace with no bigger than 14-15" wheels
step three remove EBAY special springs, it doesnt matter HOW cheap they are or how skint you are, They make your car handle much worse and you will start getting issues (like the burning of your wheels). Stick with standard suspension and small wheels untill you can afford the arch mods/coilovers it needs, If you really reall y must keep the ultra low (likely to kill yourself) look. then at least put smaller wheels on :)

FUSION X16XE
01-09-08, 05:35 PM
lol ^

Do as ck said and have a fiddle with the bolts as im thinking the top of the wheel is in more than the bottom? This is called camber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_angle

Try and get it as straight looking as possible then get in on the ground and see what it looks like.

And a huge drop is NOT a good thing for you cars internals like CV's and also for the drivability/handeling.

Martin
01-09-08, 05:51 PM
probs rubbin one side and not he other coz of the tolerences in novas are huge lol