PDA

View Full Version : tinsley towers

dj_wudgey
24-08-08, 12:00 PM
did any one else go and watch the tinsley towers in sheffield get blown up ??? i did quite a sad thing really they should have been left showing an age gone bye!!

RSTChris
24-08-08, 07:52 PM
I was gutted im currently on tag and couldnt get out to watch!

As you say, they should've stayed up!!!

FUSION X16XE
24-08-08, 08:06 PM
What were they?

Pistol Pete
24-08-08, 08:11 PM
I was visiting friends in Huddersfield this weekend. They mentioned it. M1 was still shut between junctions 32 and 34 this afternoon! I assume because of this? Didnt it happen at 3am?! Would have been good to watch!

I guess it will end upon youtube anytime soon!...

NovaLad
25-08-08, 03:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNB4_1isEhs

Tis a shame and i don't even live in sheffield.

Been past them many a time though.

RSTChris
25-08-08, 08:28 AM
You always knew you wa home when you saw em!

Dod
25-08-08, 10:41 AM
I remember they did the Towers in Ballymun Dublin. It has to be done though, these things become unsafe and realisticially, you dont want that falling over do you?

Cant really understand why they didnt wait for it to rain to keep the dust down...

L14MNP
25-08-08, 11:02 AM
They were a cool landmark when heading south (yes I live way oop north lol) Outo Kumpo place is the landmark when heading home :)

I bet that was a sight to see, when they came down! Shame though.

Sturge
25-08-08, 07:27 PM
:eek: gutted, those things were awesome! Always a good marker on the way up and down the road. We were just saying a couple of weeks ago that they would hopefully stay standing as it'd be hard to take them down so close to the motorway :(

wisewood
25-08-08, 09:56 PM
They weren't awesome at all. They were a blot on the landscape and have been for decades. Unused and un-necessary. use the site for something worthwhile i say. They were going to demolish them years ago and backed out because they couldnt be sure that there would be no damage to the raised section of the motorway and the underpass beneath... Now they've finally figured it out and its about time!!

I was in Rotherham Friday night and left again on Saturday. Wish i'd stayed Saturday now to see them level the lame old cooling towers.

I always wanted to see them painted white like a couple of giant milk bottles.

wisewood
25-08-08, 10:06 PM
Anyone interested...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2613790/Landmark-Yorkshire-cooling-towers-demolished.html

brainsnova
25-08-08, 10:09 PM
good to see them down the milk bottle idea would of saved them wisewood :thumb:

Sturge
25-08-08, 10:38 PM
They weren't awesome at all. They were a blot on the landscape and have been for decades. Unused and un-necessary. use the site for something worthwhile i say. They were going to demolish them years ago and backed out because they couldnt be sure that there would be no damage to the raised section of the motorway and the underpass beneath... Now they've finally figured it out and its about time!!

I was in Rotherham Friday night and left again on Saturday. Wish i'd stayed Saturday now to see them level the lame old cooling towers.

I always wanted to see them painted white like a couple of giant milk bottles.

Or an impressive monument to times when Sheffield and Britain actually had industry to be proud of

wisewood
26-08-08, 08:49 PM
Britain, and a history to be proud of, is, at best, laughable. Britain stole pretty much everything that made it great. In the days when conquering other nations was politically correct, Britain was a world leader at it. Try it today and Britain and the US will jump on you quick as a flash.

An impressive monument... no. They're cooling towers that have stood for 70 years. There are much more impressive throw-backs to yesteryear around... even within Sheffield.